Convention of Statesmen

ads

The Weekend is Done! Oh, and Mitt Romney too

Okay, so we had my sister's children over the weekend, all five of them, including sweet baby Elias who is 14 months old. He was sick. I was sick, we had so much fun!

On Friday we took the kids to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. Initially, the way they portrayed the chipmunks in this poster was a little off putting to me. But the movie was a sheer delight!

We start with the chipmunks in the woods, their tree gets cut down and through a series of events they end up with Dave. It is cute, fun, enjoyable and even kept the 1-year-old in my lap, eyes glued to the screen. Believe me, I was astonished and amazed at his stillness. But he's a dancing baby and there was lots and lots of great music. This movie isn't out on DVD yet, but there are lots more Alvin and the Chipmunk movies to buy and put in your DVD library. Alvin keeps threatening to buy himself a big red hoodie and put a big yellow A on it. If I knew how to sew that's what he'd get for Christmas next year. A triple X red hoodie with a big ol' yellow A. Imagine the look on this face if he opened that one up!

After reviving myself from the cost of taking seven, no make that six, baby was was free, to the movie and buying them popcorn and a drink we came home. Dinner was made and all went well.

Friday night, Elias only slept in 20 to 30 minute spurts. Holy cow I was tired by morning. The children were with us until 8:30 Saturday night. They played in the snow. They played in the house. We created a blogspot for them. Alvin played the chipmunk songs and they sang and danced. Baby was missing his mom so he wanted to be with me at all times, crying like his little heart would break if I went up to the kitchen to cook, downstairs to do laundry, cleaning . . . that poor little guy was sick and missing his mom. It was fun but seriously exhausting! I slept ten-and-a-half hours Saturday night. Remember mentioning that I had to find good things about not having kids to keep from sinking into a deep depression? Sleep . . . that was it! Sleep, I was able to sleep after they went home.

I'm a wimp. I'll admit it. Those kids wore me completely out. I love them. I adore them . . . but I slept and slept and slept after they left.

Now, on to politics. Mitt Romney emailed me back about some of my immigration concerns. I thought I'd share that with you.

Dear Candace:

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration and border control for our country. I appreciate your interest in my campaign for President and would like to extend my sincere gratitude for taking the time to share your views with me. I recognize that meaningful immigration reform is a very high priority for the American people.

Legal immigration has been an important component of our nation’s success. Legal immigration brings enhanced culture, vitality, love for opportunity, and a larger workforce. Illegal immigration, though, presents numerous challenges for our communities. I believe it’s important to end illegal immigration so we can maintain and encourage legal immigration.

To reform our current immigration system, we must meet three priorities. Securing our borders is the first means of addressing the problem of illegal immigration in our country. Next, we must create an employment verification system that is enforceable and tamper-proof, to ensure that we’re only giving jobs to those who are here legally, and penalize employers who hire those without proper identification. Finally, we must not provide any special privilege or pathway to citizenship for those here illegally. I strongly oppose an amnesty program that would automatically grant citizenship to the illegal immigrants already in this country.

As Governor of Massachusetts, I took action to address illegal immigration. I stopped measures that would have provided driver’s licenses and in-state tuition to illegal immigrants. I also took steps to deputize Massachusetts State Troopers to question, detain and arrest illegal immigrants. As President, I will enforce existing federal immigration laws and cut back funding to “sanctuary cities” that encourage illegal immigration.

I am running for President because I fervently believe that I have the experience and vision to address the issues facing our country. Throughout my years in both the private and public sectors, I have been successful by pursuing innovation and transformation. If there were ever a time for change in Washington, it is now.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I encourage you to visit my website at www.MittRomney.com for updated information on immigration and other issues that may be of interest to you. I look forward to hearing from you in the future, and earning your support.

Sincerely,
Do I believe Mitt actually sat down and wrote me this email? No, I don't. Clearly someone in his campaign did, but this is his stance on illegal immigration and he has stated it over and over in interviews and debates.

But for one brief shining moment when I saw Mitt Romney's name in my email inbox I thought, wow! Then reality set in. Anyway, upward and onward to Michigan and South Carolina. Michigan I think he can take. South Carolina is rife with evangelicals who will vote for Huckaby just because he's an evangelical, ignoring the fact that he's a bigoted moron -- and there's a huge number of military retirees in South Caroline along with Paris Island . . . in other words, lots of military. So I believe either Huckaby or McCain will take South Carolina and I hope that insane run ends. Neither could run this country with any amount of skill. They are both too liberal (see Constitution of the United States) and their campaigns are in trouble financially, in other words, they will run out of money. If they can't manage a campaign, how can they manage a country?

Poll Numbers in Michigan as of 11:06 a.m. Monday - January 14, 2008: Mitt Romney 27% and John McCain 26.3% -- come on Michigan. You know who will do a better job for you. The guy who funded Fedex, Staples and Dominos, just to name a few. The guy who turned the 2000 Olympics around. The guy who left the governor's office of Massachusetts with a Rainy Day fund unlike anything they'd ever seen. This guy knows economics. He knows business. He knows foreign affairs. He knows how to get people to work together. Vote Mitt Romney! Tomorrow is your day. Send a clear message to the GOP that its time that real candidates step forward, and that is Mitt Romney.

Okay, back to work for me. Have a wonderful day, one and all!
The Weekend is Done! Oh, and Mitt Romney too The Weekend is Done! Oh, and Mitt Romney too Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, January 14, 2008 Rating: 5

18 comments:

  1. I think it really says something for a campaign if they reply to emails with an actual standpoint and back it up!

    We contacted the NV state senators when the marriage initiative was on the ballot and John Ensign replied with a relevant email. Harry Reid's reply was a nampy pamby back and forth about how he believes marriage should be sacred between a man & a woman, but he's not going to vote for it. What?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen - yeah, I think so too. I was happy to receive this email. Harry Reid is a different kind of individual, and that's putting it nicely.

    Thanks for being politically active. It's what the prophet has asked us to do, and it always make me so happy when I see my friends and associates following suit. Of course, I suspect you are like me and raised with political awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a fun and awesome Auntie you are.

    And the Chipmunks movie was a darling flick. We have a drive-in not too far from our home and since we live in Phoenix..the weather permits ALMOST year round Drive-in nights. :) We like to take advantage of it.

    I wanted to share that I'm really looking forward to meeting you in March at the LDStorymakers conference and taking yours and Tristi's class. :)

    This really neat that you got a response from Romney- reguardless if it was not really his hand that wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn ables - thanks for dropping by. Yes, I thought it was an adorable movie. We're going to buy it when it comes out on DVD. The kids were so cute doing the dancing and singing to the songs there's no way we couldn't buy it!

    Can't wait to meet you too. I'm excited to see so many of my Blogland friends coming to the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Score for Mitt on stating his stance clearly and without prevarication. Nothing bugs me worse than when someone is asked a direct question and they refuse to give a direct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No kidding, that's one of the first things that caught my attention. He always answers the questions without prevarication. And then his politics reeled me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like quite the weekend!
    Thanks for posting the response to your email. It is nice to read what he stands for as others have said and not some runaround that others give.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you had fun with the kiddos and cool abuot Mitt. I am totally voting for him. He's a smart guy and it would be nice to have a smart person in the office for a change . . . I hope the fbi don't come knocking on my door for that last comment . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband lived 7 years next door to Mitt and we are HUGE Romney supporters. Always have been.

    There are a ton of fans out here in CT who love him too. He is a strong contender with a solid track record for integrity and hopefully the people will see that.

    Pray hard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm expecting/hoping that Mitt wins big in Michigan tomorrow. Since the Democrats votes in Michigan won't count, (they're being penalized by the DNC for holding their primary too early), there is actually a liberal website that is encouraging Michigan's Democrats to vote for Mitt Romney. If Romney beats expectatations, i.e. wins by more than 1%, it should give him a big boost. Huckabee will play well in SC, and then be done. McCain and Guiliani don't have much funds to compete for the big Feb 5th primaries.

    If Mitt wins tomorrow, and I have a real good feeling he will, he becomes the most viable Republican candidate.

    Go Mitt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candace, silly! I've posted on your blog MANY times. I just haven't done it in awhile. *Blush*

    But I did change my user name from Ajoy to my name- Autumn Ables- so that may have confused you. I also have a personal blog with the username: Queen of Chaos. All these identities can make anyone go mad! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candace, having 7 kids myself let me tell you it is so much easier when you do it one at a time. The sleep thing isn't so noticable then ;)
    That is also the reason we wait until a movie comes out on DVD, buy it and pop our own popcorn- Movie night in the family room is so much less expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candace,
    That is so awesome that you got a great response from Mitt's campaign. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very cool. I was just composing a post sort of political, and checked over to your blog because you always have cool political insights.

    I really am so impressed with this track record, and the way he represents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the comments that I leave you never post.

    I just went back through and checked like the last three or four of your posts that I commented on, and my comment isn't there.

    I'm not sure why, and also not sure if this one will post or not.

    Maybe I don't type in the letter verification thing right. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Candace,
    How much fun to have the kids over! We like to do that with our nieces and nephew too, and I always end up exhausted! LOL. Whenever I need a kid fix I just have them come over!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carrie - we did have a fun weekend, and you're welcome. I really liked the email and how he addressed the question I asked without prevarication.

    Julie - thanks. I think he'll do an amazing job too. The kids were a blast.

    Rhonda - praying for all I'm worth.

    Wow Dan & Wendy - that's interesting. My husband is enraged that the DNC nullified the votes of the Democrats in Michigan. If I were the Michigan voters I'd have this in court and deliver the DNC a serious slapdown.

    Autumn Ables - Ah, suddenly things are much clearer. Of course I remember Ajoy! Now that I know you're one and the same it makes sense!

    Sandra - good to know. And yes, that's the last time we'll be taking all of them to a movie. Ouch! If it isn't at the dollar movie they aren't seeing it with us.

    Rachelle - no problem. I definitely wanted to share this.

    Dancin' Queen - I moderate all my comments now because of the anti-Mormon rhetoric I've been getting. I can probably stop doing it now because I haven't received anything in awhile. But that's why you didn't see your posts right away. Sorry.

    Shanna - that's exactly what Alvin and I do. My sister is so generous with her children, but I have to admit, being sick to begin with the kids wiped me out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw Chimpmunks too. Pretty good, but I just saw August Rush over the weekend, and have to say, that is one GOOOOOOD movie. Have you seen it yet? If not, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.