Convention of Statesmen

ads

Mike Huckabee: Don't Mormons believe Jesus and the devil are brothers?

Yesterday, on http://ldsblogs.com, I addressed Mike Huckabee's not so innocent question of "Don't the Mormons believe Jesus Christ and the devil are brothers?"

* * * * * * * * * *
The War in Heaven

A candidate for the Presidency of the United States of America posed a question to a New York Times reporter, "Don't Mormons believe Jesus and the devil are brothers?" He said the reporter was a bright young man . . . but he wasn't Mormon. So why he would ask a point of doctrine to someone who would have no idea . . . I haven't a clue.

But I'd like to answer that question now.

On December 12th of 2007, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) issued a press release as an official response to this question:
Like other Christians, we believe Jesus is the divine Son of God. Satan is a fallen angel.

As the Apostle Paul wrote, God is the Father of all. (1 Thessalonians 1:1; Hebrews 12:9; Romans 1:7; 1 Corinthians 8:6) That means that all beings were created by God and are His spirit children. Christ, however, was the only begotten in the flesh, and we worship Him as the Son of God and the Savior of mankind. (Answering Media Questions About Jesus and Satan, LDS News Room, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dec 2007)
So, let's start at the beginning. In Revelations, Chapter 12, we learn of a war that was in heaven. What was this war about? Who was involved?

We are all spirit children of our Heavenly Father, every single one of us, regardless of our levels of righteousness or wickedness, it is an inescapable fact. Looking around the world today, we see wickedness abounding and the righteous fighting to hold back the tide. We see really good people and we see really bad people. It was similar to that in heaven, where we all lived before we came to this earth, minus the really, really wicked people. Read More

Other blogs I've written at http://ldsblogs.com in the last few days:

Mormon Articles of Faith . . . Part 1 - Statement of Mormon Basic Beliefs
Mormon Articles of Faith . . . Part 2
To Mormons, All Life is Sacred
At-one-ment: Mormon Understanding of the Atonement
Mike Huckabee: Don't Mormons believe Jesus and the devil are brothers? Mike Huckabee: Don't Mormons believe Jesus and the devil are brothers? Reviewed by Unknown on Sunday, December 16, 2007 Rating: 5

7 comments:

  1. I have not verified this but when I was in college I took a religion class at BYU and the teacher said, "Everywhere in the scriptures where it refers to Satan as being 'our brother', it's Satan doing the talking. And we all know what a liar he is."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't this man have anything better to do than make this stupid remark? He could try to take Mr. Mitt Romney as an example, and concentrate on the things that really matter. Or isn't he that bright...
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karlene - We are all children of our Heavenly Father, ancient and modern-day prophets have assured us of this. Lucifer was once a son of the morning, as described by Isaiah . . . if Jesus Christ is our brother, so too is Satan. Jesus Christ is the light, love and hope of the eternities. Satan is the dark, rage and misery of an endless bottomless pit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marja - he is definitely not that bright. He is a baptist minister and baptists have such a hatred for Mormons . . . I don't understand it, but that is the way it is. Sad, sad, sad thing. We all worship Jesus Christ. We all believe in the Ten Commandments. We believe in a brighter day when our time on this world ends . . . can't we just be nice and all get along? It is my fondest hope that this does indeed occur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. Just wanted to extend a special invite to all the Blogging Babes to participate in my Winter Reading Challenge. I'm hosting it over on my Inksplasher blog. It starts Dec. 22nd. Details on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do baptist really typically have problems with the mormons? My step grandmother (I never knew my real grandmother) is Baptist and so are my half cousins/aunts/uncles. I don't refer to them as steps, just clarifying for the comment.

    Anyway, they have always been understanding with us. I suppose it's because we are family. It was always interesting going to their house for summer BBQs. They would invite some friends from the baptist church and the minister. And then our family would be there. They would have my dad give the prayer quite often. They'd have ice tea and then lemonaid for us.

    My grandmother came to our seminary graduations and my brothers mission farewell. I thought it was pretty neat that she would do that.

    My uncle who is now a baptist minister, his family lived with us for a few months when I was growing up while they were looking for a home here in Utah.

    Anyway, just wanted to stand up for some of the baptists because I'm sure there are those good Baptists out there that just want to worship God and let others worship how they want.

    Now if we could all just get along. Sharing our views and beliefs are fine and I'm sure welcomed by most people. But like you, I have a hard time with the people that have nothing better to do than to slander a religion they don't really understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. Riley - I'm sure there are many good Baptists, but their leadership, specifically at their conventions, spew such vitriolic hatred toward Mormons it's shocking. I have many Baptists, here in Utah, who are good friends. But approach one in the Bible Belt and they'd just as soon shoot you then look at you. I'm so glad that your family is not like that. It is wonderful to know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.