Convention of Statesmen

ads

Are We Christian Enough?

Since Barry Young read my letter to Clear Channel over the air the other day I've heard from Mormons, and anti-Mormons, who appear apathetic in the face of attack, others who were very upset by what Barry did do, others who felt he did nothing wrong and even others who felt that anyone responding to attacks on the Church have a "Woe is me" attitude and we have to get over it. Was even told I was was shaming other Mormons with my letter to Barry. I've taken to not publishing all the comments on the Chocolate This and That post, simply because they all seem to be stuck on repeat. Let's face facts, everyone can listen to the same broadcast and they'll come away with different perceptions because of their life experience. All the people who have been sending comments are dismissing how upset my friend was when SHE heard the same thing they did. I have invited the producer of his show to get me a copy of the transcript or an audio file of the show so that I can listen for myself. But there's been no response so far. If I ever receive it, read or listen to it and find that he treated Latter-day Saints with respect during that broadcast, I'll actually apologize, right here on this blog where someone seems to be checking every day to see if I've mentioned him again. But if he did mock Mormons; if he did play a mock version of the temple ceremony; if he did do anything that was disrespectful . . . I won't back down.

But you see, this brings me to another point. When is it okay to just back away, huddle down and hope no one bothers us again? I have ancestors who were victims of the rapacious and murdering mobs of Ohio, Missouri and Illinois . . . hunkering down didn't do much good then. And now with the rising tide of anti-Mormonism through the advent of the internet, radio, television, cable, satellite . . . it seems to be more pervasive than it has ever been in my lifetime. Hunkering doesn't seem wise now. If Latter-day Saints don't make themselves heard, if we don't correct the misconceptions and outright lies about our beliefs, who will? Not people who don't know anything to begin with, or maybe actors who "play Mormons on T.V." who think they are knowledgeable when all they are is a mass of ignorance and hatred. Should they be the only voices heard?

I was listening to Glenn Beck while I was stuck on the freeway tonight (several car accidents, hope everyone is okay.) He was talking about a recent conversation with presidential candidate, Mike Huckabee, one to one, face to face. He apologized for calling the Governor a one-eyed Mullah and Huckabee replied, "Was it the Mormon thing?" Glenn ended up pouring his heart out to the man. Explaining to him about what happened to Mormons in the 19th century. How they were driven from their homes, from state to state, victims of tarring and feathering, murder, rape . . . nothing seemed too inhuman and vicious as far as human behavior toward Mormons then. They were finally driven out of the country and across the Rocky Mountains where they made their home in the unforgiving deserts of Utah. Glenn spoke to Huckabee about how it was legal to kill Mormons then, and even until just a couple of decades ago in Missouri. Sadly, no lawman, no military force, no mayor, no governor, not even the President of United States saw anything wrong with what was being done to fellow Americans who happen to be Latter-day Saints (Mormons) from 1820 to whenever it stopped being kosher to murder a Mormon.

Glenn mentioned that there were tears in his own eyes at one point and all Huckabee did, all this Baptist minister, a purported servant of Jesus Christ did, was look at him and say "I'm sorry" with no emotion whatsoever. Who can sit and listen to the atrocities of the 19th century done to Mormons and simply say, "Sorry"? All Glen could ask is when did it become okay in this country to ask if someone was Christian enough? I have to be honest, if you assume someone isn't Christian enough for you, take a look in the mirror and see who is lacking in Christianity. How can one Christian listen to the atrocities committed other Christians not feel anything? How can their hearts be so hardened, so far from the teachings of Jesus Christ who accepted all good people of all cultures and faiths, how can they call themselves Christian? See, it doesn't feel so good when the accusation is on the other foot.

I've already publicly declared my endorsement of Mitt Romney, and I had nothing against Huckabee. But as Glenn talked about the absolute lack of empathy in Huckabee, there's no way on God's green earth I would ever vote for him.

I already wrote a couple of days ago about the intentions of the framers of the Constitution toward religious freedom. I don't need to go over it again . . . but I am greatly saddened by the rising tide of anti-Mormonism in this nation. When did a people who believe in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost become "not Christian enough?" When did a people who believe in the Bible as the word of God, as far as it is translated correctly, become "not Christian enough?" When did a people who worship Jesus Christ as the Savior and Redeemer of the world become "not Christian enough?" When did a people who wish for the image of the Savior to be found in our countenances through Christlike acts become "not Christian enough?" Again, and you will doubtless hear this scripture a million more times before this presidential election is through, "by their fruits ye shall known them." A better way to determine the true measure of a man or woman I have never found.

Glenn made a point tonight, and it is one I have made often enough, even on this blog. Why are the "good people of the world" fighting one another, attacking one another and leaving the wall unprotected? Shouldn't the good unite, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, all the good people of the world and turn and fight the common enemy . . . those who would rob us of our right to worship according to the dictates of our own consciences and the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all God's children across the world. Why, I ask you, are Christians attacking Christians? Why, I ask again, does this behavior seem appropriate to the followers of Jesus Christ? If we are to follow in His footsteps, emulate Him in all things, we cannot attack our fellow man over their beliefs, unless they believe in murdering everyone but their select little group, then it's probably okay to rally the troops and take care of that.

Pollyanna here, but for cryin' out loud, why can't we all get along? I'm a Christian. I'm a Mormon. And like Mitt Romney I will never back away from my faith, my Savior or my beliefs. Nor will I allow other Mormons to convince me to do so as well. How can you look yourselves in the mirror if you don't stand up and be counted? Unlike the gentleman who told me that Mormons need to get over their "woe is me" attitude, I don't believe in backing away. We are, without a doubt, Christian enough!

So let me ask each of my friends in Blogland . . . when is it okay to just back away and cower in the corner and when is it okay to stand up for what you believe in. I say it's okay to stand up for what you believe in all times, in all things and in all places. What say you?
Are We Christian Enough? Are We Christian Enough? Reviewed by Unknown on Saturday, December 15, 2007 Rating: 5

8 comments:

  1. Excellent post!I have been frustrated too. I feel I can be no more Christian than being a member of the LDS church, yet it's dismissed by other denominations. I also feel Romney is hands down more qualified and better prepared to be President than Huckabee, yet because Romney is Mormon, the votes are falling Huckabee's way. But then again, how many "Mormons" are voting Romney, simply because he is "Mormon"? Very frustrating. I wonder if these two candidates will even be able to make it through the gauntlet and end up one of the nominees for the Republicans anyway.

    I need to listen to Glenn's interview with the Huckmeister. I actually liked Huckabee at the beginning, but all this "is jesus and devil brothers" and touting himself as the Christian leader in the race, is putting a bad taste in my mouth.

    I guess in the bigger picture, I can't help but wonder how all these events will play in creating the environment before the second coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. You put it all so well, Candace. Thanks for standing firm and speaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - yes, it does pose an interesting question. FYI, I'm going to write a post on Huckabee's question about Jesus on http://ldsblogs.com today. He brought it up, it needs to be answered. I'm just prayerfully considering everything right now and will write it this afternoon. So please check in and let me know what you think once you've written it.

    Thanks, Anne. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I too think it's not enough to sit in the shadows all the time. Sometimes we have to have a voice of defense. Great job! I am not one to back down when it come to religion. Just know that you have people behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kim. I appreciate at the back up. I somehow feel if we do not stand and be counted it won't be long before we the times prophesied will come sooner then necessary. I'm so glad you submitted Skyler as one of the best husbands. I've loved going over your blog - feel like I've made a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It says in the Book of Mormon (about war) that if you don't commit the first offense, or the second, and that if you are defending your beliefs, life, or family, go for it.

    Good for you for standing up for your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you share your letter in any of your blogs? I scrolled down and couldn't see if you did -- I would love to read it.

    Standing up for ourselves and our beliefs is something we should always do. Sometimes we have to decide how far we're going to take it -- when we know full well that we're getting into something with a person who just wants to fight and will never listen, we should use judgment in when to bring it to an end, but it's never, ever wrong to set the record straight on who we are and what we believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The letter is on the Chocolate Show This and That under my blog archives of November.

    I don't actually know what Barry said, but I've sure been lambasted by his listeners. Some claim this, others claim that. Right now, I actually don't know what the truth is. I've asked, from his producer, a copy of the transcript from that show, barring that, an mp3 of that broadcast . . . but no response. So perhaps I will never know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.