Convention of Statesmen

ads

Health Tip: 5HTP and Depression

5HTP is an advanced form of Tryptophan (oh yeah, that's the stuff that makes you really sleepy when you eat a big turkey dinner.) The nice thing about 5HTP is that it increases the levels of serotonin in your body. Now, I know you may be saying, "So what?"

Well, settle in and let me explain. The last 18 months of my life have been, shall we say, the roller coaster ride from hell. One psychological, emotional and physical trauma after another. Without going into detail, multiple deaths of close family members, near deaths and long weeks of recovery for others, surgeries, etc. were just a little of what happened in our lives. The day my father was told he had inoperable, terminal cancer and had only weeks to live was the straw that broke my camel's back.

I remember dissolving into tears that wouldn't stop. I couldn't think. I couldn't make decisions. I couldn't focus. There was no trace of the Candace Salima that I knew visible to me. I broke down and went to my family doctor. When Dr. Robert Taylor walked into the exam room, I was sitting on a chair, with my arm stretched across the exam table, my head resting on my arm, sound asleep. He woke me up, took one look at me and said I no longer had a choice. He was putting me on a mild antidepressant.

Here's a little something about me that you don't know. I am one of the most cautious people regarding the use of drugs, antidepressants, antibiotics and more. I don't go to the doctor unless I've tried everything I can, using natural means, to rectify the problem myself. This is how I came by the old-fashioned moniker "wise woman." I've spent a lifetime studying herbs, supplements, natural therapies and the benefits thereof. Dr. Taylor knew this. So he proceeded to tell me of the benefits of Lexapro, that it was very mild, non-narcotic, etc. I agreed to begin taking it and it was like the sun begin to shine once again.

A few weeks ago I decided I didn't want to take it anymore. I hate, I really hate, being dependent on any type of drug. Life seemed to have evened out. Family members were healthy and healing. Things were starting to look up. I wanted to stop taking the Lexapro. So I started doing research. Oh yeah, the Candace I knew was back. I started weaning myself off Lexapro.

Here's where we start talking about 5HTP. Serotonin is a chemical messenger in the brain that affects emotions, behavior, thought, weight and sleep patterns. Severe emotional and psychological stress, copious amounts of caffeine, ill health and depression cause the reduced production of serotonin. 5HTP triggers the production of serotonin in your body. This is a very, very good thing, obviously. Add a healthy diet and some exercise and you're in a whole new ballgame.

I became very ill about three weeks and found out I couldn't take simple cold medicine if I was on the Lexapro. So I stopped, cold turkey. (Respiratory flus really, really suck.) But I immediately began thinking: "What was the point of writing anymore books, no one is reading them anyway." (So, not true.) "Why should I work so hard, nothing ever, ever, happens." (Again, really not true.) But these were the thoughts I had. I don't have suicidal thoughts, I have thoughts about just quitting life, going into my garden with a book and a tall frosty lemonade and saying "To hell with the world." If you know me, that's is SOOOOOO unlike me. I have to save the world, it's hard-coded into my DNA. (Yeah, I know. Not doing such a great job. But what' s a girl to do?)

I found that 5HTP is the answer to my problems. I started taking it two weeks ago, and wahlah! I am a new woman. I woke up feeling good today, well except for that nasty bronchitis which is clinging to my sinuses with the last vestiges of desperation.

I feel like exercising today, which I will do as soon I am done blogging. I feel like cleaning my house (quick, call the doctor, there's something wrong.) I feel like getting things in order again, which is the only way I am happy.

Kerry Lynn Blair's Mt. Rushwritenomore has been crested and I am skiing down those slopes to the Valley of Literary Muse. That muse has sure been missing lately. Somebody needs to kick her butt for lying down on the job.

Anyway, so the health tip boils down to this. If you're struggling with depression, interrupted sleep patterns, and the like, talk to your doctor and decide if you'd like to give 5HTP a try. You can pick it up at your local herb store. Inexpensive, no side-effects and you can still take cold medicine.

-----------------------------------------------------

Here's another interest post from my days at www.families.com: Absalom, O Absalom

Health Tip: 5HTP and Depression Health Tip: 5HTP and Depression Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, August 24, 2007 Rating: 5

18 comments:

  1. Wow Candace, thanks for sharing this with us. I love herbal remedies and love to hear when they've worked for others. Now if only someone could tell me a remedy for ruptured back disks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually being trained in something called Quantum Touch which is alternative method of healing using energy. I think that would probably work.

    I'll email you offline about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. You really have had a lot to deal with and I'm so glad you didn't let it get the best of you! You're a great example of overcoming trials and being stronger because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rebecca. I don't especially feel like a great example because I had to completely fall apart before I finally sought help. But thank you so much. You and I both know we are not given anything we can't handle. But sometimes I do offer up to Heavenly Father a "Are you sure I can do this?" As you can guess, the answer is always, "Yes."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, don't believe in taking medication for depression. They'll calm you down for a short period of time, but you don't get a chance to really deal with your problems properly. But sometimes, you DO need to calm down for a little while first, in order to be able to deal with your problems later. So I think you did great, by taking them for awhile, and then stop 'cold turkey' (looked that up LOL), that's better than saying: "oh, I'll just quit nex week"!
    You and I must be sharing the same 'saving the world' DNA! ;0)
    Until a few years ago, I did just that all the time! But you know what I've learned? I can't!!!
    Now, I always say: 'improve the world, start with yourself'.
    If everyone would live like that, the world would really be a better place.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely right, Marja. Saving the world is the Savior's job. Our job is to save our own little corner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Candace, that is our Savior's job. And doesn't that give you a peaceful feeling? I know it does to me.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Candace, that's wonderful! As always you give me hope and joy and sage advice. I've long been a proponent of B vitamins and, for awhile, St. Johns wort. I'm so very glad to hear of something that might help me scale that mountain right behind you. I've been attributing my recent emotional difficulties to a daughter with a cancer scare and a son in Iraq, but perhaps it really IS just me! :-) Something to think about for sure!

    Bless you for always being there to throw down a rope to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marja,

    It does give me a great deal of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerry,

    Stress triggers the depression of seratonin production in us. So having a child in Iraq and a child with cancer, that would definitely suppress it in you. Then it makes it difficult to make decisions, proceed with normal aspects of life, write and any other creative process.

    Hang in there . . . I've gone a whole two months without anyone ending up in the hospital in my life. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you are feeling better, Candace. Today I had a great writing day that I think pulled me out of a very long summer of no new writing. I think writing is my anti-depressant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Heather. For each person there is something specific that fills the well within. Writing does that for me, but the last year and a half drained me completely and it has been very difficult to write, which has been an added stress.

    I'm so glad the writing worked for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Candace

    Now that the family has gone, I'm finally able to catch up on my blog reading. I'm so glad you're feeling better. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

    Hope your weekend is good.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem, Kat. 5HTP has helped me in so many way, including sleeping well. Thank goodness.

    I have a busy but fun weekend planned. I hope your weekend is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the reminder, Candace. I had a bottle of 5HTP in my cabinet I haven't taken in almost a year. I started taking it again and it's been a big boost. I'd love to hear more about your Quantum Touch training, since energy work is what sucked me into massage school. Fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I've been taking Effexor for about 2 years, after Wellbutrin made me suicidal and I'd taken Paxil for 12 years. I also have taken Ambien for the past 5 years. Nonstop. Oh yes, I'm a mess. But, I've got some ammo for when I go to the doc now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No problem, Karen. I'm glad the 5HTP is working for you. I'm really blessed that my primary care physician is a rock and understands my need for trying the natural route. When I switched to 5HTP we talked about it and he just asked me to be careful and keep him apprised of my progress. Which I'm doing.

    As to the Quantum Touch -- oh yeah, I'm loving the training. I'm attending a training class here in Orem on September 12 and 13. If you want, I'll see if there is a space for you. Also, you can just drop by www.quantumtouch.com and learn stuff too. I'm really fascinated by the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mindi,

    Yes, please consult with your doctor before switching to or taking anything other than what you are on. Good luck with finding a balance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.