Yes, we are definitely protesting big government, high taxes, the desecration of our Constitution and the forcing of socialism on Americans.
But to the positive, we are celebrating America as she was established and preserved throughout 220 years. We are celebrating our Constitution, upon which 80 plus other Constitutions are based. We are celebrate the greatness of our nation.
And as conservatives are not prone to the burning of things, blowing up of things or running naked through the street (hey, I was a kid in the 60's) it was nice that someone from "We Surround Them" established a few rules:
Demonstration Rules of Order
A demonstration is all about communicating and “Winning the hearts and minds of the people.”
We communicate to those who are physically present, and through the media to others who are not.
· Vulgar or aggressive behavior is not permitted
· Report vulgar or aggressive behavior immediately to police or to designated event authorities
· Do not obstruct traffic or other people
· Be courteous to the media – most are decent people just doing a job. Some are professional journalists with integrity. A few are not, and these will be glad to broadcast any discourtesy.
· If you are “interviewed” by anyone, this is your opportunity to inform. Provide a thoughtful, reasonable response and try to base it upon generally known facts and common sense.
· If a “Counter-demonstrator” appears, do not engage them in an argument or allow them to provoke you. Tolerate them, and film them in case they do something provocative too.
· Meet new friends – collect stuff - join groups
This is a time for conservatives across the nation, the huge silent majority, to step up and be heard. These parties are in defense of our nation and all that we hold dear as Americans. Please come and be ready to be heard by the world. A producer of the Glenn Beck Show has assured our organizers that portions of our tea party will be played on Glenn's show. This is fantastic and opportunity to show the world that Utah remains as one of the last bastions of conservatism in the nation and we will not stand down.
Wednesday - April 15th, 2009
125 South State
Salt Lake City, UT
Noon to 2:00 p.m.
This party is about America, not any one politician or campaign. As such, we have solemn vows from each of our speakers to stay on point:
Congressman Jason Chaffetz will speak about the Dangers of Big Government
Congressman Rob Bishop will speak about High Taxes, the BLM and Land Grabs
Attorney General Mark Shurtleff will speak about the beauty and strength of the Constitution
And I, Candace E. Salima, will be speaking about the Dangers of Socialism
Also, those who wish to speak for 2 to 3 minutes, please email Adam Gardiner and detail what you will be speaking on. You will be held strictly to the 2 to 3 minute limit, so time your message well.
Just as an additional note: I have purchased a Title of Liberty from Latter-day Banners and an American Flag as well, both 3x5 in size. I will be carrying these at the protest. I ask of each to purchase flags, be they small or large and wave them at the protest along with your signs. This is America and we love her dearly. As such we want to remind the world that we are not going away. We are not going quietly into that good night, but standing for America and the Constitution.
Oh, one more thing! Congressman Jason Chaffetz has donated 2,000 pocket Constitutions to be distributed at the Salt Lake Tax Day Tea Party. So be sure to find event staff and get your own.
And remember the Title of Liberty: In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives (or husbands), and our children. Captain Moroni