Convention of Statesmen

ads

Review of The Newton Prophecies by Keith Katsikas

The Newton Prophecies by new author, Keith Katsikas was an intriguing ride with rather predictable twists and turns. Somewhat of a Dan Brown knock-off with a twist.

From the backliner we read:

A sacred brotherhood with unprecedented power . . .

A prediction by the most influential man in history . . .

An unthinkable plot to thwart the Second Coming . . .

Sir Isaac Newton was a brilliant scientist, a crazed chemist, even an obsessed researcher of Biblical verse, but it is what few people ever knew about the reticent man that has Harvard Divinity Professor, Michael DiBianco running for his life, struggling to find answers to a mystery that not only threatens Christianity, but the meaning of his own existence.

I'm tired of books that "threaten Christianity." I've read far too many of these over the last year or two. But Katsikas does a decent job of putting an interesting twist on a very tired theme.

The main character, Michael DiBianco, is a religion professor at Harvard. With a new book coming out, guaranteed to be a best-seller, he runs into a little trouble with the Descendants of Lucifer. This is where things get a little fuzzy. Di Bianco is apparently important to the DoL and they are doing everything they can to get their hands on him. Why? I'm not really sure.

There were several interesting premises in the book which were never fully developed and some simply unexplained. Of course, the story takes place predominantly in Europe, because that is apparently where all books with plots that "threaten Christianity" take place. Roll the Catholic Church into the plot, high-ranking politicians and leaders of nations and you have all the main ingredients.

With that being said, Katsikas is a good writer. Despite its weaknesses, I liked the way the story flowed. Although I'm still confused as to why killing DiBianco will stop the Second Coming. I'm still trying to figure that one out. In fact, that might be the best way to describe my reaction to the book: Confused but entertained.

Perhaps I better give you a sampling of other reviews. Maybe those will explain things a little better.

Review 1: THE NEWTON PROPHECIES IS A MUST READ!

This high-suspense thriller is action packed, keeps you guessing, crammed with twist and turns that you can't see coming; it has you questioning who's good and who's evil, keeps you so enthralled that you just don't want to put it down till the last page is read. It leaves you with a WOW when everything is said and done. You can't imagine you just read the whole book in just a few hours. There is no way your going to want to put this book down! The ending explains everything and leaves it open for a sequel. I cannot wait to see what this author comes up with next. If you love action packed mysteries, real page-turner thrills, then I highly recommend The Newton Prophecies. It is reminiscent of Dan Brown & Robert Ludlum. ~ Amy Flannery

Review 2: Behold, the Not-to-be-Missed Novel of 2008

The Newton Prophesies is a mind-blowing, faced-paced and exciting book! Very reminiscent of Dan Brown, yet very unique as well. There is a great and exciting future in store for this up and coming author!

Huh, guess they caught something I missed. Anyway, I'll give the book a single thumbs up. Good writing, fun story, just didn't quite connect with me.

Paperback: 340 pages
Publisher: BookSurge Publishing (March 18, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1419691910
ISBN-13: 978-1419691911
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #4,016,718 in Books

Purchase The Newton Prophecies here.
Review of The Newton Prophecies by Keith Katsikas Review of The Newton Prophecies by Keith Katsikas Reviewed by Unknown on Sunday, August 03, 2008 Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. Hi Candace!

    Thank you for reviewing my book. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope I can help clear a little confusion with the knowledge that this is book one in a series. There were several mysteries left only somewhat answered, which will be explored in more detail as the story progresses. As for the confusion about stopping the Second Coming... that is answered. If you wish, we can chat about it a bit. I would be very interested in picking your brain for my future novels.

    Thank you again,
    Keith
    www.keithkatsikas.com

    p.s. The book currently available on Amazone.com is an old ARC edition. It should be taken off Amazon at any moment. If anyone would like an ARC, please contact me at: keith at keithkatsikas dot com. The novel will not be officially released until this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith, sounds good. Just email me offline (ces@candacesalima.com) and I'll email you back with my phone number. I'm happy to talk to you about any upcoming novels.

    I highly recommend Precision Editing Group for anyone who is self-publishing. The problems I found with your novel would have been resolved through thorough editing. Anyway, thanks for letting me review the book. I did enjoy it although my sense of confusion afterward was disconcerting. I'm used to have all the answers to the questions arisen via the backliner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.