Senior Editor at G.P. Putnam's Sons
(a division of Penguin Group, USA)
Blackbringer (FAERIES OF DREAMDARK, Book One) by Laini Taylor; Bean Thirteen by Matthew McElligott; and Yellowbelly and Plum go to School by Nathan Hale.
Agent—Andrea Brown Literary Agency, Inc.
Jamie's career in children's books began in 1998, with an editorial internship at Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, followed by positions as an Editorial Assistant and Assistant Editor at Bantam Delacorte Dell, Wendy Lamb Books, and Knopf & Crown Books for Young Readers, all divisions of Random House Children's Books. After returning to her hometown of Los Angeles, Jamie pursued her love of children's books in a new arena, as Conference Manager and Golden Kite Award Director at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI).
Friday Night Entertainer: David Nibley
Panel: LDS Publishers
Panel: Finding an agent
One-to-one interviews with editors/agents
And your favorites:
- Writing Contest-- NOW CLOSED -- Good luck to all who entered! (someone's gonna win a nifty-slick Neo Alphasmart)
- Boot Camp
- Exclusive Book Store
Recognizing excellence in fiction by LDS authors
(Watch for the announcement of finalists at The Whitney Awards
on January 15, 2008 at 7:00 a.m. MST.)
Friday, March 21, 2008
7:30 - 10:30 a.m. Boot Camp
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Registration
11:00 - 11:15 a.m. Welcome and Introduction by Master of Ceremonies Robison Wells
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Lunch & Keynote Speaker, Editor Tim Travaglini: Getting Out of the Slush Pile
12:30 - 1:20 p.m. Breakout Workshops #1
- Writing in Spite of a Busy Life: Rachel Ann Nunes
- ADVANCED - Writing a Synopsis: Josi Kilpack
- Writing about Real issues for Children & Youth: Tamra Norton
- The Middle Grade Writer: Character, Voice & Audience: Lael Littke
- 10 Things That Get You Noticed/What LDS Publishers are Looking For: Kirk Shaw, Covenant
- BEGINNING - Your First Novel: Step by Step Basics: Heather Moore & Julie Wright
3:00 - 3:50 p.m. Breakout Workshops #3
- Creating Your Inner Writing Team: Carroll Morris
- ADVANCED - The Editing Process: Lisa Mangum, Deseret Book
- Non-Fiction—Finding Your Niche: Shirley Bahlmann & Jaime Theler
- Q&A with representatives from major LDS publishing houses
6:00 - 6:30 p.m. Break: Bookstore & Mingling
6:30 - 8:30 p.m. Dinner & Entertainment with Comedian David Nibley
7:30 - 9:00 a.m. Boot Camp Conclusion
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. Registration for Saturday-only Attendees)
9:15 - 9:30 a.m. Welcome and Introduction by Master of Ceremonies Robison Wells
9:30 - 10:20 a.m.
- Self-Publishing from Writing to Distribution: Jewel Adams & Marsha Ward
- Improve Your Writing: Tip from a Senior Editor at Putnam: Tim Travaglini
- Critique Groups in Action: Annette Lyon, Heather Moore, Lu Ann Staheli, Michele Paige Holmes, Jeff Savage, & James Dashner
- Fantasy—Creating a New World: Brandon Sanderson
- Internet Promotion—Blogging/Podcasts/Reviews: Tristi Pinkston & Candace Salima
12:45 - 1:45 p.m. Lunch & Keynote Speaker, Jamie Weiss Chilton, Agent
1:45 - 2:00 p.m. Break: Bookstore & Mingling
2:00 - 2:50 p.m. Breakout Workshops #3
- ADVANCED - It's the Story, Stupid: Jeff Savage & James Dashner
- Transitioning from the LDS to the National Market: Janette Rallison
- Writing a Historical Series from Start to Finish: Gordon Ryan
- Hooks That Will Get You Published—A Hands-On Workshop: Jeff Savage
- Research is Not Just for Historicals: Julie Bellon & Michele Paige Holmes
- ADVANCED - Magazine Writing: Annette Lyon
4:15 - 5:15 p.m. General Session - Self-Promotion: MaryAnn Jones of Deseret Book
5:15 - 5:30 p.m.
- Closing Ceremonies
Group: LDS Storymakers
We have reserved non-smoking rooms for March 20, 21, and 22nd under our group.
You can select one night or multiple nights.
You are responsible for all charges.
The 2008 group rate is $89.00/night plus 12.85% tax rate.
If you're sharing a room, calling sooner than later will ensure securing a two-queen bedroom.
Find me when you get there. Tristi and I are in charge of the Boot Camp plus we have our Internet Marketing class as well. So find us both!