Convention of Statesmen

ads

Whitney Awards Deadline Ticking Down

The time in the hourglass is trickling out and the deadline for nominations for The Whitney Awards is approaching.

Based on the Orson F. Whitney quote: "We will yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own. God's ammunition is not exhausted. His brightest spirits are held in reserve for the latter times. In God's name and by His help we will build up a literature whose top shall touch heaven, though it's foundations be low in the earth." The Whitney Awards recognizes excellence in fiction written by LDS Authors. So yes, that means any LDS author whether they write for the LDS market or not.

I know you're already wondering if I've taken my own advice. Oh yeah, I already went and nominated the book I feel is best deserving in a particular category. I'm still thinking about the others. I have until midnight, December 31, 2007 to nominate the best fiction novels written in the 2007 calendar year.

On the evening of March 22, 2008, at the conclusion of the 2008 LDS Storymakers Writers Conference, an awards dinner and gala will be held to announce the winners. A great deal of support has been garnered amongst the LDS publishers, store owners and managers as well as authors. All we need now is YOU - the reader. You are the most important part of this equation.

As you read books published in 2007 make a note of the ones you felt were exceptional. When you have that list, then go to The Whitney Awards website and nominate those books. Here are the available categories:

Romance/Women’s Fiction
Suspense/Mystery
Speculative Fiction
YA/Children's Literature
Historical
Novel of the Year
Best Novel by a New Author

So if you haven't been reading up on your LDS authors, nows the time. It is time those authors who have taken Orson F. Whitney's admonition to heart are recognized for their talent, as well as their skill.

Read ∙ Read ∙ Read ∙ Read

You really don't want me to get into lecture mode on the benefits of reading in the home and family, do you?

How is a new Apostle chosen? -- my latest on LDSBlogs.com.
The Beauty of Personal Revelation
Whitney Awards Deadline Ticking Down Whitney Awards Deadline Ticking Down Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, October 11, 2007 Rating: 5

6 comments:

  1. Candace, I have a list of over 80 books that are eligible for the Whitney Awards this year. It is amazing to see the wide variety of books written by LDS authors. I am trying to read as many as I can Before I make my own nominations.
    http://shumphreys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder. I have read a few- still more to go before I can make a final decision though. I'm glad we have a little more time.

    Whom ever came up with the idea for 'The Whitney Awards' is awesome. It's such a positive thing and a great way to promote LDS writers. Whenever I read this quote from Orson F. Whitney- I get tingling goosebumps. Especially since I could be amoungst that group he speaks of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie - that completely rocks. I love seeing you diving into this wonderful idea to reward excellence in LDS writers.

    aJoy - I'm so happy that you're participating. I hope you're enjoying the read (you too, Stephanie.)

    Author Robison Wells is the mastermind behind The Whitney Awards. I am incredibly proud of him for coming up with it and for the others writers who had jumped on board to help in making it all come to past.

    I hope I have a couple of books out next year (I'm working hard to make that happen) and can snag one of those awards for myself! :>

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be watching for them, Candace. Maybe someday I'll get on the list too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.