Convention of Statesmen

ads

Review of "Meet Your Match" by Stephanie Fowers

A funny thing Stephanie told me about this book is the following: You know, she doesn't go shopping once in this book.

Stephanie's a friend of mine and so reviewing her book is an absolute pleasure. She has emerged as the queen of comedic chick-lit. I mean really, we need to hold a coronation and plant a tiara on her head!

From the back of the book we read:

Girls DO like nice guys, and Jacqueline Childs will prove it with the wager of a lifetime . . .

The Wager ∙ Jacqueline Childs and Britton Sergeant disagree on almost everything, and definitely on what kind of man catches a girl's eye. Jacqueline writes a love-advice column, and intends to write an article settling the matter once and for all. So in defense of their genders, they make a wager involving unsuspecting players: Mr. Nice Guy and Mr. Jerk. Both will go after the biggest squirrely girl in the singles ward--whoever catches the girl, wins.

So there it is in a nutshell. A wager on love. Those never go well, you know.

Now I'm the first to admit I don't care to read books written in first person, but if I want to read Stephanie Fowers, and I do, I have to suck it up. So I did. I survived the experience with a smile on my face.

Stephanie has a knack for portraying BYU student life in an interesting fashion. This time around she addresses the older single, graduated woman still clinging to the vestiges of college life and her college singles ward. Jacqueline Childs is a heartbreaker, only she won't admit that. This story takes the reader through an awakening and healing of a woman's heart liberally laced with comedy.

The scene during the baseball game had me laughing so hard I just about fell out of my bed. Her characterizations are good, although first person limits how much we can enjoy the other characters in the story. Her comedic timing is better. She pulled me in and I didn't stop until I put the book down.

Stephanie Fowers is an excellent story teller that will bring recognition (if you lived or are living the college scene), humor and a fun read. It's ironic how the faces changes in the college scene but the types don't -- Stephanie Fowers characterizes this perfectly in Meeting Your Match. Pick this book up, you'll be glad you did. Just click on the book above and it'll take you straight to the Desert Book link to purchase her book.
Review of "Meet Your Match" by Stephanie Fowers Review of "Meet Your Match" by Stephanie Fowers Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, October 08, 2007 Rating: 5

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good one!

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so much enjoyed Stephanie's other book, so look forward to reading this one. She is a great writer with a style of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat - it is. It is written in the style of comedic chick-lit, which isn't as robust as I would like. But it is fantastic.

    Anne - She really is. You'll love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tristi - Happy to hear it. It's definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace, I am so happy that I got you to fall off your bed! That's my favorite thing to do!--well, not to cause pain and all that, but you get the picture. I'm so glad that you got over your first person narration prejudices so that you could read my book! I've tried other viewpoints and I can't stop myself from jumping into everybody's head at once. It's the only way for me to keep myself disciplined! Anyhoo, we'll see what happens with Prank Wars...if I can get you to fall off any furniture in that one, that is to say.
    Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love first person. I love to read it and I love to write it.

    It sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read her other book(s?) and enjoyed them. I will need to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie - no problem. Happy to help you by falling off my bed to make your feel good. Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa

    Anna Maria - then this book is right up your alley.

    Ordinary Mom - you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to check out the church bookstore and see if they have it. If not, I'll get it somewhere!

    Candace, at the bottom of your blog, under your "Booke Candace" section, I don't know if it's my browser or what, but words are cut off the beginning of the line at the left margin... I wanted to read it! Could you let me know if it's just me? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mindi - I did check and everything is fine from my browser.

    Is anyone else having the same problem?

    Luckily this is what I decided to blog about today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was definitely a good read. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.