Convention of Statesmen

ads

Five People I'd Love To Have at a Dinner Party

An intriguing question I ran across surfing blogspots was this: "Who are the five people I'd most love to have to a dinner party."

Man, did that get thought processes flowing. I decided to not let a little thing like someone being dead get in the way . . . and so here it goes. The list of who I would most love to invite to a dinner party.

Joseph & Emma Smith, I'm counting them as one. But I would love to be able to sit down with this prophet of God and his beautiful wife and just listen. Several years ago I was given the privilege of spending two years studying the life and times of Joseph Smith, Jr. In order to get a complete picture, I studied his life, his family, the church, political, religious, literary, economic and criminal climate of the time.

This gave me an incredible picture of the man the Lord chose to restore His gospel on the earth. His words to the twelve and the saints, "O ye Twelve! and all Saints! profit by this important Key -- that in all your trials, troubles, temptations, afflictions, bonds, imprisonments and death, see to it, that you do not betray heaven; that you do not betray Jesus Christ; that you do not betray the brethren; that you do not betray the revelations of God, whether in Bible, Book of Mormon, or Doctrine and Covenants, or any other that ever was or ever will be given and revealed unto man in this world or that which is to come. Yea, in all your kicking and flounderings, see to it that you do not this thing, lest innocent blood be found upon your skirts, and you go down to hell. All other sins are not to be compared to sinning against the Holy Ghost, and proving a traitor to the brethren. Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p 156. So yes, they would be my first guests.

William Shakespeare would be my next guest. His skill in writing is unsurpassed by all who have followed. I didn't come to appreciate the beauty of his work until my uncle, James Robinson (a great Shakesperian Actor,) acted the plays out for me. Oh my goodness, did they take on a whole new meaning. The Taming of the Shrew is one of my absolute favorites, as is The Tempest.

William Shakespeare would be second guest I would choose to be at my dinner party. How do you think he and Joseph Smith would get along?

Parley P. Pratt, for as long as I can remember the way Parley P. Pratt writes has touched a deep part of my soul. One of my favorite passages he wrote was this regarding their unlawful imprisonment in a Missouri jailhouse: "One night in the Richmond Jail, as guards in “dreadful blasphemies and filthy language” boasted of their participation in the Saints’ persecution, Joseph rebuked them in the name of Jesus Christ in a “voice of thunder”: “SILENCE, ye fiends of the infernal pit. … Cease such talk, or you or I die THIS INSTANT!”He stood chained and without a weapon and rebuked them. Calm, unruffled and dignified as an angel as he looked upon the quailing guards. Dignity and majesty have I seen but once as it stood in chains at midnight in a dungeon in an obscure village in Missouri." And he had testified before kings, queens, and presidents.

Oh the command of the written word this man had. He has long touched my heart and spirit with his words. Yes, he would definitely sit at my table for my little get-together.

Jane Austen. No little get together of those I long to meet and spend time with would be complete without the woman who started it all. In her day she was known as a writer of frivolous romance. But she captured a picture of society that was full of humor, foibles, weakness, strengths and entwined it all with color from daily British life. The author of six novels, her work survives today being translated into television and film as well as reprinting of her books. Frivolous romance just doesn't get that done, does it.

Oh yes, Jane Austen is a definite must-have.


Nora Roberts. From the land of the living I would have to have Nora Roberts at this little get together. One of the most brilliant writers of our time, she has long been an inspiration to me as a writer. Wow, I can just see this very eclectic group together all eras and generations . . . that would make for some very interesting dinner conversation, on a number of levels.

Shoot, I'm going to cheat and just add two more people to this little dinner party my husband and I are having. It's my party, I can do whatever I want to! I'll just get a bigger table, oh yeah, and a bigger house. Might have to move the party somewhere else.

Also from the land of living, I would include Merrill Osmond. Merrill is one of the greatest people I know. A consummate entertainer, devoted husband and father, Merrill is a very dear friend of mine. I think he'd get a kick out of joining us at this little party. "For he that seeks to know the mind and will of God with a heart that agrees to accept the truth, shall find and know the mysteries that are hidden from the world." -- Merrill Osmond.

My husband and I already consider him a member of our family. And no little get-together with people I would love to sit down and chat with would ever be complete without my friend and brother, Merrill Osmond.

And last, but most certainly not least! The final individual I would add to this gather is one that occupied my thought, actions, and beliefs for the entirety of my life. Because of Him life is much more bearable and eternity is possible.

Jesus Christ. Need I say more.

And on this auspicious occasion, I would probably just sit next to my husband with my eyes big, my heart full and just listen. And me being me, I'd throw a question or two as well. This would definitely go down in history as the greatest account of "filling the well within" that has ever occurred within the entirety of time and history.
Five People I'd Love To Have at a Dinner Party Five People I'd Love To Have at a Dinner Party Reviewed by Unknown on Saturday, August 18, 2007 Rating: 5

20 comments:

  1. Can I come too? And then, could I sit between or across from Nora and Jane? please, pretty please? Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paraphrasing the song, "it's my party and I can do what I want to . . ." So yes, come on over. We'll have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Merrill Osmond related to Donny and Marie? I see a resemblance in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm still trying to get you and Alvin and Bill and Diana over here, so that's four of my five. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! I'd add Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh (who says you shouldn't talk politics at dinner?) and Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict (Because I'm such a BSG fan) and wouldn't it be nice to talk to JK Rowling? Hmmm. I'd better get more chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HipWriterMama - Merrill Osmond is the lead singer of the Osmond Brothers. Donny and Marie are his little brother and sister. The Osmond Brothers were famous and superstars long before the duo came along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Trist, how sweet are you? Bill and Di are the ones holding that gig up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Janette. Great choices on your part as well. I think I'd have to increase the size of my party. After I posted I thought of others I'd like to add.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I volunteer to sit in the corner and record this event! Because you know the conversations are going to be beyond amazing...fabulous choices, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just sent Bill *another* e-mail. He's going to have to answer me soon -- I'm starting to feel like I'm harassing him.

    Sheesh, free food, our company -- what could be holding him back?

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your invitees sound interesting (I might switch Marie for Merrill). I know my wife would crash the party to see Jane Austin, but I think I would pick:
    1. Sean Hannity
    2. Paula Deen
    3. Matt Leinart
    4. Queen Latifah
    5. President Gordon B. Hinkley

    wouldn't that be an interesting mix? As you can see I stuck with living mortals. I wonder what I would serve?.... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tristi - we could just drive up and refuse to leave until we have a date settled on.

    Christi - it would be amazing wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Gilmore,

    Great selection of people. I'd like to be at that party too.

    Marie is a good friend of mine as well, but I see Merrill more. So I tossed a coin, Merrill won.

    If your wife loves Jane Austen, then she is just too cool for words and you are a very lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay Candace, that sounds like it's worth buying a plane ticket from Holland to Utah! HA!
    Please count me in, I eat like a mouse...
    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Btw, it's Jane Austen week in Holland right now, the premiere of the movie Becoming Jane was in Amsterdam yesterday.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marja -- of course you could come, how much fun would that be?

    Jane Austen week - man, I wish we did something like that in the U.S. I'm going to see Becoming Jane on Wednesday. Have you seen the movie yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Candace,
    It was great to meet you in person at LDSBA!

    I think this would be a great party. I know for a fact that dinner with Merrill there would be a treat- I used to love talking with him when my husband worked for him.

    I'll bring dessert for all if I can come crash the party as well. And then I will have to put together my own dinner party. I better get busy picking my original 5 guests, but everyone else will be welcome as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sandra, it was great meeting you too. I absolutely love the company that you have pulled together. Urban Botanics just rocks!

    Of course -- bring the dessert. The more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When we lived in MI, Merrill came to our kids' school (Canton Charter Academy) to shoot a video. The kids had a blast! =)

    He talked to the children about humility, and how he'd stepped aside so that Donny and Marie could make it big; how humbling that had been but how he feels no rancor, just love for his siblings. It was inspiring.

    Please say hi to him from us. Not that he ever met us, but maybe he remembers being at CCA.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keeley, I'll be more than happy to pass this on to Merrill. He truly is an amazing man. I'm glad the kids enjoyed his company.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.