Convention of Statesmen

ads

Exciting News for Valor!

I have to admit, I wondered if this day would ever come.

It has been a lifelong dream of mine, one of many, to own a publishing company that would publish stellar yet highly engaging books. I wanted authors who were fun and excited to not only write but to get out there and tell the world about their books. Most of all, I wanted to be successful.

About three years ago I started getting serious about that dream, after I'd been published by Spring Creek Book Co. (Out of the Shadows...Into the Light). I started crunching numbers, making plans, developing a business and marketing plan, talking to different authors, both publish and unpublished, businessmen and women, watching the economy, paying attention to trends ... you know, everything that goes into opening a business you plan on making a success. I published two more books and kept getting everything set up.

In May I hired two of the best in the business, meaning the best editor and the best production manager and we got busy taking this dream from paper and making it a reality.

Today ... yes, today ... it all came together. I can't decide whether to launch into a manic version of the Snoopy Dance or to take a deep breath and pass out on the floor. Valor is 100% officially open for business.

Our first book is written by Utah Attorney General, Mark Shurtleff. He has written the most astounding book. I remember, when he first emailed it to me I thought to myself, "Oh please let this be good." (He's a friend. It's really hard to reject friends.) I opened the document, scrolled down and began to read. By the end of the first paragraph I was head-to-toe goosebumps. By the time I read the last word I knew I had a bestseller on my hands. The life of Dred Scott, a famous man who literally shaped American history in the mid-1800's, literally leaped off the page. Mark Shurtleff has a way with the written word that lets you know that he has a strong command of the English language. I wept, I laughed, I urged Dred Scott on as I read, turning page after page.

I'd like to share with you the first paragraphs which literally blew me away!
"To him, the river sang. It intoned but one word, repeated with every ripple, and lap, and tide. One word that began with a gurgle far to the North, crescendoed through the heart of a nation, and climaxed in the Deep South with such force that no power on earth could hold it back. One word that bled from every pore. One word: FREEDOM!

"The "Father of Waters" sang, not with the splash of waves lapping against the levee, for the Mighty Mississippi was wide, and thick, and slow. It slid like a solid mass of glacial mud that had been moving toward the sea since before the Fall of Adam. It was ancient by the time Moses led the Children of Israel out of slavery in Egypt. No, its melody was something more profound and ancient, and it harmonized with something deep inside Dred, and filled his very being so that he was powerless to ignore it. He turned toward the river, closed his eyes, and whispered the song of the slave." (Am I Not a Man? The Dred Scott Story by Mark L. Shurtleff, SLC, UT, Valor Publishing Group, November 2009)
And so, with the signing of Mark soon came the signing of other authors: Karen E. Hoover, Daron D. Fraley, Kimberly Job, Michele Ashman Bell (for her national releases), Alison Palmer (for her fiction releases) and many more.

Then came our first big sale...really nice, big sale. Negotiations began. Contracts went back and forth. Business discussed and rehashed. Terms set and then adjusted. On and on, really all part of business, and today it finally came through. Big sale, happy me.

Valor Publishing Group now has the capability of doing everything we dreamed. Can you believe it? In this economic and political climate one of my dreams has come true. Life is good.


Copyright 2009. All rights reserved by Candace E. Salima.

Exciting News for Valor! Exciting News for Valor! Reviewed by Unknown on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 Rating: 5

16 comments:

  1. Hip Hip Hooray!!! I am so happy for you and proud of you! Way to make that dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Candace! I'm so glad things have come through for you. What an incredible thing it is to see your dreams become a reality. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Valor! How about sending some of that good karma WiDo's way?! :)And the coolest thing about this is that now you can help make authors' dreams come true as well. It's fantastic to see all your hard work getting such great results. What bad economy? I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I am so thrilled for you, I just about can't stand it. I vote for the "happy snoopy" dance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah CANDACE!!! I'm working on having something to submit. I knew you'd do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! That's awesome! Congratulations, Candace. I know you and Valor are going to do amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ready to do that happy dance with you Candace. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the most awesome news ever!!!

    Congratulations Candace! SO happy for you! It's been a long time coming, and you seriously deserved to have a dream or two come true.

    Not to mention, that we all get to benefit, too! AND the industry! Hurray for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Candace,
    When you told me about your plans back in April I had such a good feeling about it. I'm glad to see everything coming together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candace, I'm so excited for you and your whole team. I know you're going to do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Wow! Fabulous! Many many many congratulations and happy wishes to you. =)

    How wonderful. So so happy for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely amazing! I am so happy for you! Dreams still do come true! Oh, and I'd go for the happy Snoopy dance if I were you! ;p X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Candace, that is a huge feat. I am so in total amazement and utterly jealous. A big CoNGRATS!

    I wish you only the best books to choose from. And I hope you prosper for a long time to come because someday I am going to write a best selling novel, but it probably won't be for at LEAST 20 years. :) And when 20 years comes around, I will be glad to have a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wahoo! Way to go, Candace. I'm so excited for you ... and proud of your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone. It's kind of an odd place to be ... where a dream of such magnitude has come to pass. It wasn't easy. It took huge amounts of hard work. It took SERIOUS stick-to-itiveness. But here it is ... absolutely amazing.

    Thank you all for being so supportive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.