Convention of Statesmen

ads

Recipe: Beef Stew

With all the snow falling here in Utah, and it is copious amounts compared to the last few years, I've felt strong cravings for my winter comfort foods. One of my favorites? Steaming, flavorful, succulent beef stew. Love the stuff. And it is, by far, best served with homemade bread, fresh out of the oven. Slather that with fresh butter and dip it in the beef stew . . . ahhh. As soon as I'm off bed rest, oh please only three more days, this is the very first thing I'm going to make. And chocolate chip butterscotch chip cookies. Ooh, ooh, and fudge. Mmmm, and corn bread. Yeah, I'm ready to stop lounging about. I've read close to 30 books. Watched copious amounts of television and movies. And slept, and slept and slept.

Anyway, I digress. Here's the recipe to Beef Stew which I developed over the years of my marriage:


Beef Stew

1 to 2 lbs. Stewing Beef
2 T. Extra Virgin Light Olive Oil
2 C. Boiling Water
1 t. Garlic Salt
1 t. Onion Powder or 1 small onion
½ t. Salt
1 t. Black Pepper
1 t. Emeril Lagasse’s Original Essence
2 Cubes Beef Bullion

Sear stewing beef in hot olive oil, for no more than 2 to 3 minutes, then place in a deep cooking pan.

Unwrap the 2 cubes of beef bullion and put into 2 cups boiling water and let dissolve. I like to put the beef bullion in saran wrap, fold it over, put that in a dish towel, fold that over and smash it with a hammer. Or you could go more high tech and use a pestle, I really want one of those.

Pour over the beef.

Sprinkle garlic salt, salt, black pepper and Emeril Lagasse’s Original Essence Seasoning over the stewing beef, covering every part. Cover and cook at a simmer for several three to four hours, occasionally adding water if the necessity arises.

Variation:

I like to add a couple of packets of brown gravy mix and let it simmer in that.

Great to serve with:

Crisp cucumbers and tomatoes marinated (1 to 2 hours) in Italian salad dressing
Homemade Bread

Happy Eating

Return to the Neighborhood.
Recipe: Beef Stew Recipe: Beef Stew Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, December 29, 2008 Rating: 5

4 comments:

  1. I was reccomended your blog by a friend. What a great layout! How do you do it? Is it all HTML? I'm trying to remodel much of what I do on my site, but I don't know where to start. Any ideas? (Oh, and I like the fact that you're a part of team Sarah. I made a video about her...I'm a big fan! www.youtube.com/sethadamsmith)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seth,

    I Googled Blogger Layouts and found this one. The link to where I found it is at the bottom of my blog (http://www.infocreek.com/webdesign/freewordpressthemes). But if you Google that term you'll find lots of options.

    Team Sarah is great. I don't know how it's going to come down in 2012, but I have a serious dilemma because I'm a staunch Mitt Romney supporter. I'd love to see a Romney/Palin ticket and then a Palin/Romney ticket. How much would that rock! Don't think that's constitutionally possible, but I just sigh at the thought!

    I'll check out your youtube video. Thanks for dropping by Seth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace! The beef stew was soooooo good! I don't think we'll ever eat canned stew again, not with something this simple to make from scratch. It was wonderful. I added about 8 small potatoes cut into chunks, a can of peas (drained), and a couple carrots (neither one of us is particularly fond of carrots), and it was stupendous. Steve has already requested a triple batch for deer season next fall. I'll be happy to oblige! Thank you for your great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindi,

    I'm so glad you liked it. Veggie wise, you add as much or as little as you want. That's the beauty of homemade anything, you adjust the recipes to your taste. That's what I ALWAYS do. I love beef stew but didn't like the store bought kinds, or the ones I ate else where. I sat down one day and thought to myself, I know this can taste the way I want . . . what do I like? And this is what I came up with. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.