Convention of Statesmen

ads

Recipe: Taco Salad

People often ask me if I'm a football fan. I am quick to clarify that I am a BYU football fan, and family football fan. Meaning, that if it's not BYU playing or a family member isn't playing I'm not watching. Nonetheless, I am a BYU football fan and this year is ringing eerily similar to 1984. As you know, I am the author of 13 and 0: Reflections of Champions, a retrospective on BYU's 1984 national championship football team. Alvin, my sweet husband, helped me to keep statistics accurate, remember ambiance and critical moments in those games and the book was a blast to write. But I digress, kind of ....

Tonight, BYU plays an long time rival, Utah State University. We come into this game with two shutouts, our last two games, and an undefeated season. It is my very humble, or not, prediction we shall finish the season undefeated. Okay, quick, where's some wood? Knock, knock. Okay, we're good.

Back to the point. Family and friends are joining us tonight to watch the game and we're breaking out one of our traditional football game meals.

Taco Salad. My mother taught me to cook as a child, and I have continued to hone that craft. When I began attending BYU, my roommates really couldn't cook. They were great women and have remained lifelong friends, but cooking was not their strong point . . . really. They were championship volleyball players and really good at what they did.

But Michelle, one of the volleyball players, could cook two dishes that I recall. Both of which I adapted and adopted as one of my one. And yes, you guessed it, this is her version, tweaked by me, okay, majorly tweaked by me, of taco salad.

Taco Salad

Brown:

2 lbs. of Lean Hamburger

Once browned, add:

2 Packets of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning (by far the most flavorful)

Follow the directions on the packet and let simmer.

Warm:

2 Cans Rosarita Refried Beans (Old El Paso are flavorful as well)

Shred and Dice:

Lettuce
Cheese
Tomatoes
Onion
Black Olives

Place all of the above in separate bowls, including:

Guacamole
Sour Cream
Salsa

Guacamole
3 Avacados, peeled, pitted and diced
Dash of Lemon Juice
Scoop of Sour Cream
2 Dashes of Seasoning Salt
Whip until creamy.

Happy Eating.

Return to the Neighborhood.

And while you're there subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. Welcome to the yourLDSneighborhood newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world—all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

Subscribe now!
Recipe: Taco Salad Recipe: Taco Salad Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, October 03, 2008 Rating: 5

1 comment:

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.