Convention of Statesmen

ads

Review of Angel Falling Softly by Eugene Woodbury

I have to admit, I was excited to read Angel Falling Softly by Eugene Woodbury, a return missionary and BYU graduate, because the premise of the story was startling, yet mildly intriguing. Enough so, that I agreed to review the book when asked.

So let me share with you the backliner and see if you are intrigued as well, then I will offer my review:

Over the past six months, Rachel Forsythe's perfect life has descended from the ideal to the tragic. The younger of her two daughters is dying of cancer. Despite her standing as the wife of a respected Mormon bishop, neither God nor medical science has blessed her with a cure. Or has He?

Milada Daranyi, chief investment officer at Daranyi Enterprises International, has come to Utah to finalize the takeover of a Salt Lake City-based medical technology company. Bored with her downtown hotel accommodations, she rents a house in the Sandy suburbs.

And the welcome wagon shows up. Her neighbors perceive her to be a beautiful, intelligent and daunting young woman. But Rachel senses something about Milada that leads her in a completely different--and very dangerous--direction.

Rachel's suspicions are right: Milada is homo lamia. A vampire. Fallen. And possibly the only person in the world who can save Rachel's daughter. Uncovering Milada's secrets, Rachel becomes convinced that, as Milton writes, "all this good of evil shall produce."

As the two women push against every moral boundary in order to protect their families, the price of redemption will prove higher than either of them could have possibly imagined.

Okay, here are my thoughts. When I first read this I was taken aback that the author would take the wife of a Mormon bishop, the young daughter of the same, and place them in a scenario directly mocking God and the plan of salvation. So, one might say, this is a work of fiction. And yes, it is that.

But, in reading the author's bio, we find "return missionary and graduate of BYU." One assumes there is a protection which comes from that, or why would they put that in their bio? Writing LDS Fiction comes with a responsibility to our readers. We tacitly promise them we will keep the fiction clean, adhering to the standards of Jesus Christ. Why then does Zarahemla bill itself as an LDS press when clearly, it's pushing the envelope so far it's nowhere near the envelope. Why don't they just shed the LDS element, do whatever they want and we could just chalk them up to another national publisher, albeit a small one, who publishes "that kind of stuff." I think it's false advertising in a HUGE way.

As to the author, why write stuff like this and have the Mormon element included. There was a sex scene, far too detailed, between the bishop and his wife. I was stunned. Had he alluded to it I would have been fine, but no, he felt the need to actually write it. And he has the bishop's wife instigating it because the vampire tells the wife she can't bite her unless she's sexually aroused. What? Are you kidding me?

With Eugene Woodbury's bio I could assume:
  • that the book would be free of lesbian and heterosexual sex. I was wrong.
  • there would be no twisting of scripture and the plan of salvation. I was wrong.
  • the swearing, if there, would be minimal. I was wrong.
  • that the author would not play with the plight of Job, speaking of an unhearing, uncaring God and turning to the devil and his angels to save a life. I was wrong once again.
Jennifer, the younger daughter, has leukemia and has been in a coma in the children's hospital for six months. All hope is lost and the family has come to terms with her eventual death, except for her mother, Rachel. She is willing to deal with the devil in order to save her child's life. In this case, the devil has a name . . . Milada. This way lay madness, even for fiction.

Milada, a vampire, moves next door and Rachel tosses God, the gospel and her child's salvation out the window and cuts a deal with the vampire. You can imagine the natural conclusion of this story. When the child awakens from her coma, now a vampire, she sweetly offers, "God honors these pacts." Plainly stating that God approves of her becoming a vampire. Sheesh, what kind of mother has the author created?

I can suspend quite a bit of disbelief. I like the paranormal element in my fiction, even quite enjoy the way authors come up with a new twist on an old story. I can handle, for fiction's sake, literary license of the gospel. What I cannot handle is the insertion of Mormons into the equation willing to sell their souls to damn the souls of their children. Rachel Forsythe forsook all she believed, all she knew to be true to save the life of her children. She betrayed her husband, her family and most off, she betrayed her dying daughter. Instead of finding a small measure of peace that her daughter would be with loved ones and with God once again, she desperately seeks for other solutions, any solutions. In this case, she somehow decides it's cool that her daughter be a vampire because she'd be alive, sort of.

One thing I did find interesting was Woodbury's explanation of the creation of vampires . . . it was fascinating. Sadly, it was a thread in the story never fully established or explored. It could have been incredible, instead it fell flat.

While Woodbury's writing is very good, the story was robbed of its promise by the unnecessary insertion of the above. Would I be interested in this book if I were not LDS? Maybe, but I would have thrown it in the garbage upon finishing it because the premise was destroyed. What could have been a wonderful story, filled with unique twists and turns, was instead filled with gratuitous "I do not write LDS fiction" scenes which contributed in no way to the story.
x2 -- It is not a story of the redemption of a fallen soul, which could have been very cool, considering all the twists and turns that could have been taken, but rather the destruction of innocence in order to save a life, thereby condemning her to a life of darkness and drinking blood to stay alive. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this book to anyone. It gets a definite two thumbs down. (I couldn't find a two-thumbs down graphic. We'll have to go with this one.)

Paperback:
236 pages
Publisher:
Zarahemla Books (June 30, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10:
0978797167
ISBN-13:
978-0978797164
Amazon.com Sales Rank:
#341,994 in Books

Purchase Angel Falling Softly here. If you must.
Review of Angel Falling Softly by Eugene Woodbury Review of Angel Falling Softly by Eugene Woodbury Reviewed by Unknown on Sunday, July 20, 2008 Rating: 5

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you whole heartedly. I feel that, even if we don't want the responsibility, we are examples to others, including those of our own faith. It is disturbing to me that our youth, who are so vulnerable, are being exposed to some of this literature, by LDS writers, and are forming opinions about life and moral compasses based on their experiences with who they know and what they know.
    I have felt similarly about another LDS author, who has a great deal of talent, that ads a few things here and there to shake things up, but neglects to consider the impact she has on the teenage population. "Pushing the envelope" as you say.
    Thanks for the insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't the author and publisher consider the weightier side of this? If you are LDS, you ought to know that more than just this life is at stake! We have been told that we shall be judged out of the books that are written. Part of our basic doctrine states that a lower degree of glory is reserved for those that were not valiant in their testimony of Christ. I, for one, think this particular subject more than qualifies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We are so blessed to know and befriend some of the wonderful writers, George Potter, Kerry Blair and writers at SixLDSwriters, Candace Salima, Stacy Anderson,Jim Paredes and so many others. I am so captivated by their wit and their minds that we look up to this wonderful people." From our latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my Forever Friends email list:

    "I feel very much the
    same about twisting the gospel plan to make a plot work out, or because the writer doesn't understand it correctly or for whatever reason. It is misleading and unkind and not responsible to the reader. This does not mean there isn't plenty of room to explore, watch characters wander off the gospel plan or even make mistakes often. As long as the reader can identify that in the storyline, that is the stuff good stories are made of. Though I have not read the book in question, it seems the author does not understand, or rewrites the role of a vampire and that relationship to the devil. I have found the vampire themes in many stories to be misleading and an easy way for an author to flirt with a "kind" more easily understood devil that lives and walks on earth eternally. Good looking, sweet talking, personable, wow, Satan himself. Sometimes we think of him as a "red ugly devil" but In fact our brother Satan does know how to be kind, and is very beguiling, just like vampires in books. Trouble is, he is a liar...it sounds like the book didn't end with that in mind. It sounds like a good plot with the wrong ending. How much better to meet with God in the Celestial Realms...too bad-that bishop's wife (or the author?) seems to not have an understanding of basic faith in Jesus Christ and that faith carrying us through life's most difficult and impossible trials.

    Thanks for your honesty...it gave me much to ponder on."

    Smiles,
    Melinda in Mapleton Ut

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace,
    I am halfway through this book. I am also reading to review. I didn't read all of your post because I didn't want to run across any spoilers or be swayed in my opinion. So far, though, I agree with what I did read and I don't think the book is going to get a very good review from me. And I probably won't be keeping the book either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not very often that I read a negative review of an LDS novel. Most of them are raves.

    It also surprises me that this book isn't being taken off of LDS bookstore shelves, after the incident that happened to mine over a minor thing that was not against gospel doctrine.

    Good for you for having the courage to write what you feel.

    Hey, how do I get on lists to review LDS fiction? All the books I've been asked to review so far have been non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am supposed to read this book to review as well, but now I don't know that I want to. With some of the things you've talked about, I probably won't keep this book.

    It really is to bad that there those out there that think to have a good quality of LDS literature, they have to push the boundaries so far. Most people I talk to who read "LDS fiction" are looking for a book they can pick up without worrying about steamy scenes and trashy language. I agree with you. Maybe Zarahemla should just try to be a national publisher and drop the "LDS" from all its work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the write up.

    Do you know if the author is an "active" member of the church? It just seems so contrary to what I would expect from LDS literature.

    I agree with you, if you're going to add to your bio that you're LDS, a former missionary, there are Mormons in the story, etal, you should stick to the basic doctrines of the church.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.