Convention of Statesmen

ads

Myths & Reality About Mormons

From The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Press Release:
The topics in the video reflected the kinds of questions journalists were then asking —questions about polygamy, the Church’s openness and whether Church members are Christian.

Former NFL quarterback Steve Young and former Miss America Sharlene Hawkes, both Mormons, talk the viewer through three major misperceptions the public has about the Church.

The video tackles polygamy first. “Groups that practice polygamy and claim they are Mormons are not associated with the 13-million-member Church headquartered in Salt Lake City,” Steve Young says. He adds that the term “Mormon” should never be applied to these other religions and there is no such thing as a “Mormon Fundamentalist.”

The video also acknowledges that perceptions that Mormons are a closed society, only caring for their own members, still linger. Yet most of the Church’s humanitarian and welfare efforts, all funded by Church-member donations, benefit people of all faiths.

Sharlene Hawkes addresses the issue of whether Mormons are Christian, saying that Church members are “Christian to our core.” Surrounded by her family, she talks about why her faith is so important to her.


Here's the link to get this video for your website or blog.

I am seriously startled at the breadth of misconception which still exists about the Church. I'd laugh at what some of these people were saying if I wasn't so surprised. "Multiple wives and Mormon men trade them in for younger ones when they get too old?" Are you kidding me? Where do people get this stuff? Oh wait, I know . . .

By the way . . . I'm a very happy woman. Tell me, all my Latter-day Saint (Mormon) friends, are we an unhappy people. Because the comment I always get is that we are a happy people and they want to know why.

Have a great day everyone. I really like this video. Enjoy. Back to politics tomorrow.

Blogging Babes . . . Brick Oven at 1:00 today! And I got a digital camera for Christmas, so we'll have some good fun.
Myths & Reality About Mormons Myths & Reality About Mormons Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, January 10, 2008 Rating: 5

7 comments:

  1. I am a happy woman. I have the perfect balance of a career and family. I work from home, so I can take care of my family at the same time. I'm well respected. People listen to what I have to say. I am not in any way devalued because of my gender.

    There are women in the church who are treated badly by their husbands, but that's their husbands. The church does not advocate the mistreating of women -- in fact, the very opposite. Anyone who thinks that the church teaches the denegration of women really needs to take another look.

    Thanks for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And again, I learn...
    I really like the video too.
    A lot of people (still) think strange things about the LDS Church here in Holland, like the ones on the video. Like you, I know better, and I'd laugh too, if some of those thoughts just didn't amaze me so much. Are there also female missionaries? I didn't know that. So far, I only met male missionaries.

    I believe that LDS people are the happiest people in the world. Why?
    Because they know what "The Big Picture" is all about.
    (I hope I say it right in English) :)
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is astounding what myths still exist about the Church. My kids are constantly asked the most ridiculous questions, including how many moms they have. (I think they answer that the one mom they have is quite enough--HA). I hope that if nothing else, Mitt Romney's bid will help enlighten the world about the Church. (But hopefully, he'll be the next President!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got things like this in NM when I was growing up. They were good ways to talk about the church, though.

    Hey, I have something for you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Candace,
    I don't know where some of these weird questions come from.

    I know, overall, I am a happier person and more peaceful since I chose this church almost 3 years ago.

    Happy Friday,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. candace, i tried to get the link to put the video on my blog but couldn't figure out how. any tips for the computer illiterate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Everyone - thanks for dropping by. Yes, weird questions come at me all the time too, but you know, I'm so glad their asking them. There's no way to get the truth out there unless people ask

    Pedaling -- I fixed the link. So sorry, I'll pop over to your blog and get it to you as well. Here it is:

    http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/video-challenges-public-misperceptions-explains-myths-vs-reality

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.