Convention of Statesmen

ads

BYU Cougars Rock!

Have I mentioned that today is my husband's birthday? And for this, his brother, and Harvey Unga's father (Jackson) one of his dearest friends called and we headed on over to the BYU Cougar practice field.

We are so excited for the 2007 football season. We have no less than four nephews playing on the team this year. Yes, we are very excited! This has been an added measure to our devotion as Cougar fans.

We watched the players practice and scrimmage and my sweetheart pointed out each nephew. Sete Aulai (Starting Center), Harvey Unga (Starting Running Back), Tyle Kozlowski (Wide Receiver) and Eathyn Manumaleuna (D Line). He was so excited to see each young man as they ran their plays. I have to admit, I was too. We were very proud of each one of them.

Harvey and Sete came on over to talk to us for a few minutes and Alvin snapped a picture of them with me.

They are such good young men, and I especially liked how much thinner I looked between the two. Hey, let's face it. I'm a woman, we think of things like that. If you want to know why I'm thinking of something like that at a time like this, take a look at Anne Bradshaw's blog on the LDSBA Whitney Awards. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Harvey is really proving himself in practice after practice, scoring at least two touchdowns in each scrimmage.

Sete has been puttin' the hurt on so many people as the center, that my husband was offering a lot of chuckles and "Owwws" with each play.

I popped on over to Google and typed in the boys names so I could grab a few pictures.

Last year, when John Beck connected with Johnny Harline in the final second of the BYU/U of U game for the touchdown and win, Sete was captured on the sidelines in complete disbelief as yet another Cougar miracle was pulled off. My nephew is one tough son-of-a-gun, so the raw emotion on his face speaks for itself.

An absolutely incredible moment in Cougar Football history.

Moving on to Harvey, whose last year was a redshirt year. He broke out in March practice and hasn't looked back. He's proven himself over and over, and he and Fui Vakapuna will be jockeying back and forth, assuming Fui's ankle completely heals. But as of now, Harvey is down as the starting running back.

I couldn't help but post this blog today because I am so proud of all these boys. Hopefully we'll see something of Tyler and Eathan as well this year.

Anyway, to my beloved sweetheart, Alvin, I wish the most beautiful of birthdays. You are my heart, my soul and you make my life worth living. Thank you for the being the man you are. True to your priesthood, your covenants, your values and your beliefs. You are a man above all men. I love you!

Happy Birthday!

GO COUGARS!

The political blog was posted early today, it's the very next blog. I had to post two today, couldn't stand the wait.
BYU Cougars Rock! BYU Cougars Rock! Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, August 20, 2007 Rating: 5

24 comments:

  1. That Beck to Harline catch last year - oh what a memory! That picture of Sete says it all. I myself - I was whooping and hollering and crying all at the same time.

    I came to your blog after seeing your posts on mine. (I have to admit I was rather shocked to find that someone other than my "3 blogger buddies" was actually reading what I had written.) I've browsed through your last couple posts and I like what I see - I'll be back:) (ficklepickle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeri,

    Yes, that was an amazing game. I was hooping and hollering too. It was an AMAZING catch.

    I'm glad you liked the last couple of posts . . . look forward to having you drop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your hubby. Loved seeing all of the photos.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pleasure to meet you! It was so fun to read your latest post, it brings back such happy memories that I have of BYU Football. I remember one August years ago, attending a scrimmage game/"Watermelon Bust"... (I believe thats what they called them way back then.) Anyway, I was like thirteen years old and totally in love with Mark Bellini. (Do you remember him?) I was able to get a picture with him that day. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
    I'm so glad you found me, we'll have to keep in touch for sure, especially with the football season just around the corner.
    Happy Birthday to your hubby-now he's a former player too, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Alvin! You always look beautiful Cnadace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paris Lover,

    Thanks for dropping by! I was privileged to meet most of the 1984 Championship Players (that I didn't know) when I wrote and published 13 and 0: Reflections of Champions. Mark was very, very nice.

    And yes, Alvin did play for BYU 1984 to 1987. And yes, he played with Mark Bellini.

    And yes, I'll drop by your blog often. I'm so excited for the season this year. Aren't my nephews handsome?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jules. I passed your birthday wishes on to Alvin and he had a big smile on his face.

    And I love you Jules! Thanks! Been having a few self-esteem issues lately. But now that I'm exercising every day that should take care of the problem. Cause everything else is good.

    Praying for you for your Wednesday meeting. See you then. Stephanie and I are excited! Becoming Jane, here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rise and Shout! I'm taking my freshman son down to BYU next week and we have tickets for the BYU/AZ game. I can't wait. I love college football. Hope BYU has a great year. I am a grad of USC so have to admit USC Trojans is my team. I think USC is going to have an awesome year. I was able to get down to Provo for the USC/BYU game a couple years ago. I had a blast. I will cheer extra loud for your nephews! Now that I am a BYU Dad, I guess I better get me a BYU shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Happy Gilmore, I'm doing the "rise and shout" too. Jackson, Harvey's dad, offered tickets to us, but my husband passed on them. We really like to have friend over, eat and shout and have a blast watching the game.

    You are a BYU Dad now, so USC alum or not, you do have to get a BYU shirt. I got mine yesterday. And thanks for cheering extra loud for my nephews. Sete, Harvey, Eathan and Tyler (although Tyler will probably not see any playing time. Yes, I'm sad.) Tyler isn't as insane a player as his father, Glen Kozlowski was. So he's good, but Glen had no problem sacrificing his body for the play. He was a crazy player.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALVIN! Bit late, but didn't get to Candace's blog yesterday. And Candace--you always look wonderful, no matter what. Keep up the good work. Your blogs are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne, thanks for dropping by my blogspot. I'll pass your Happy Birthday wishes on to Alvin, he won't mind that it's late.

    God bless you, Anne. I've really been struggling with my self-esteem lately because of the weight I've put on. I'm exercising every day now, cut out the Mt. Dew (that wasn't easy!) and am trying to be much healthier. It was me who let me get this way, and its me who has to fix it. But thank you for your sweet compliment. It made my day, as did Jules' compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your hubby! =) What a great month to have a birthday. =)

    You live in Orem. Wow. I'm trying not to turn green.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (belated!) birthday to your hubby! I love the photo of the two of you. You must be so proud of those four young men - very cool.
    I think you look terrific. But I love the idea of posing with football players the next time I have my picture taken!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keely and Kris,

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I passed on the birthday wishes to my husband and it brought a big smile to his face.

    I do live in Orem and I absolutely love it! I'm so excited for next week's game. I've bought Stripling Warrior rings to give to my nephews, which I will do this weekend. I'm practically bouncing in my seat with excitement.

    I am so proud of my nephews. I swear if I wore shirts with buttons they'd be bustin' off. And yes, those boys as bookends would be the greatest accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome post! I'm so excited for this season, too. This is our first year out of Utah and not being able to go to the games, though, so I'm bummed about that.

    Thanks for the info on emergency response. Didn't know that.

    I see we also have something else in common. If you click down on my blog a few posts, you'll see a picture of me as a missionary, and your friend Merrill is in the pic, too. I served in Branson, and had the awesome opportunity to get to know him pretty well and teach some lessons in his home. Such a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooops, that last post that was by alvinsa5 (my hubby), was really meet. I didn't notice that he was logged in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sally,

    Thanks for dropping by. I'm sorry you will not be able to go to the games this season. But thankfully, they are on t.v.

    No problem on the disaster procedures. I was shocked myself when I found out.

    I'll go to your blogspot again and find the one your talking about. Isn't Merrill absolutely a wonderful man? I'm glad you got to know him while you were serving as a missionary.

    Man, it sure is a small world! Go Cougars!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, Alvin!! I hope it was wonderful -- chiming in a day late.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Passed the wishes on to him, Tristi. He said it was amazing how many people had dropped by this blog and our family blog and wished him a happy birthday. It gave him warm fuzzy feelings. He said to tell you thank you, Tristi.

    See you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great blog. BYU football season is very exciting. My family is looking forward to it as well. We'll be rooting for your nephews!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Marcia. I'm so excited for next week's game I can hardly stand it. My husband has been finding me all kinds of articles on our nephews . . . is it possible to burst with pride? Uh, probably. I might wanna back off on that . . . nah.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Next to Christmas, Football Season is my favorite time of the year. More specifically, BYU Football Season. My oldest son is playing youth football for Pleasant Grove (7th grade). I am having a blast watching him play. Don't worry I am not one of those crazy parents, at least I don't think I am. :) Football is by far my favorite sport to watch. Go Cougars!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My nephew Austin is a basketball player. One of my FAVORITE things to do is go watch him play his games. Man that kid is good.

    BYU Football is in my blood and has been since I first arrived at BYU. (My parents weren't really into sports and my Dad only loved hockey.) So I came by love of football a little later than most.

    But I am with you there. GO COUGARS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.