Convention of Statesmen

ads

Goodbye, President Gordon B. Hinckley

Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died last night. My heart is saddened, and I also rejoice in the reunion with his wife, Marjorie, who died four years ago. I know a great celebration is going on in the heavens at the return of one of Heavenly Father's most valiant sons and of Jesus Christ's prophet. He has served them well but he will be missed.

He said,
“I urge you with all the capacity that I have to reach out in a duty that stands beyond the requirements of our everyday lives; that is, to stand strong, even to become a leader in speaking up in behalf of those causes which make our civilization shine and which give comfort and peace to our lives. You can be a leader. You must be a leader, as a member of this Church, in those causes for which this Church stands. Do not let fear overcome your efforts, for as Paul wrote to Timothy: ‘For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind’ (2 Tim. 1:7). Fear comes not from God but from the evil one. The adversary of all truth would put into your heart a reluctance to make an effort. Cast that fear aside and be valiant in the cause of truth and righteousness and faith. If you now decide that this will become the pattern of your life, you will not have to make that decision again. You will put on the ‘armour of God’ and raise your voice in defense of truth, whatever the circumstances now and in all the years that lie ahead (see Eph. 6:11)” (Brigham Young University devotional, Marriott Center, 17 Sept. 1996).
And with great boldness he did this very thing in his own life. As a prophet of God, ordained as much in March of 1995, he grew the temples of God from 47 to a now approaching 150 across the world. He was determined to reach every land and every people.

Two of the things I love most about this man who shuffled off his mortal coil this day was his unfailing love for Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father and his wonderful sense of humor. He is no longer the "last leaf on the tree."



My heart and thoughts go out to President Hinckley's family at this time and also, especially, to President Thomas S. Monson and the rest of the Apostles who have lost two of their dearest friends in such a short time period. No new prophet will be called until after President Hinckley's funeral. At that time, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostle will gather and a man unanimously chosen as the next President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and prophet of God.

Goodbye, President Hinckley. You will be missed, truly missed. I leave you with his testimony:
"I hope that all of you will remember that on this Sabbath day you heard me bear my witness that this is God's holy work. The vision given the Prophet Joseph in the grove of Palmyra was not an imaginary thing. It was real. It occurred in the broad light of day. Both the Father and the Son spoke to the boy. He saw Them standing in the air above him. He heard Their voices. He gave heed to Their instruction.

"It was the resurrected Lord who was introduced by His Father, the great God of the universe. For the first time in recorded history, both the Father and the Son appeared together to part the curtains and open this, the last and final dispensation, the dispensation of the fullness of times.

"The Book of Mormon is all that it purports to be—a work recorded by prophets who lived anciently and whose words have come forth "to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (Book of Mormon title page).

"The priesthood has been restored under the hands of John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John. All the keys and authority pertaining to eternal life are exercised in this Church.

"Joseph Smith was and is a prophet, the great Prophet of this dispensation. This Church, which carries the name of the Redeemer, is true.

"I leave you my testimony, my witness, and my love for each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

President Gordon B. Hinckley
April 1, 2006, Sunday morning session of the 176th Annual World General Conference
Gordon B. Hinckley dies at 97
Goodbye, President Gordon B. Hinckley Goodbye, President Gordon B. Hinckley Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, January 28, 2008 Rating: 5

8 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Thanks. I'm so sad about this. He connected to everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to send you my condolances on the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley. Yes, he will be missed, and he left so many beautiful memories, and valuable lessons for everyone to talk about and learn from.
    My heart and thoughts are with his family and friends.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. He touched the lives of so many people. Of the young of our world, many have known only him as a prophet. Today, many of those faithful sons and daughters wore their Sunday best to school as an honor to this great man. I was proud when my children wanted to, and then blown away when I walked into the jr. high to work. The reverent feeling that came from these children of God was absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lucy - he really did not connect to people of all ages. I'm so excited that he is reunited with Marjorie, but I will miss his smile, the twinkle in his eye, his sense of humor, his love for the Lord and the membership of the Church, his incredible insight into the Gospel of Jesus Christ . . . oh yeah, I'll miss him too.

    Marja - thanks for dropping by. Your sweet thoughts are greatly appreciated. I know there is a flood of well wishes and expressions of love pouring into Salt Lake right now. He was a much beloved prophet who opened the world to the Church.

    Sandra - thank you for sharing this . It touched my heart greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy - DID CONNECT, did connect. Sheesh, I need some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candace,
    Nicely put. We'll all miss President Hinckley, and I (in particular) will especially miss his sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice tribute you've written to President Hinkley. He will certainly be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post for a wonderful man and the Lord's Prophet! Thanks fro sharing all these thoughts and his testimony with all of us. I have read SO many great tribute posts to him today! How nice and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.