Convention of Statesmen

ads

Chocolate Show and This & That

Just a quick update: Tristi and I are both exhausted with two more days of the show to go. But our booth looks amazing, we did well last night and there are amazing vendors, chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, really delicious breads and cookies, honey and crackers, massage guy (oh yeah, he's my new best friend) and on and on . . . there is an incredible professional cake contest centered around chocolate. Oh man! Those things were works of art. All in all, amazing and a must see. If you go, drop by our booth -- Imagine -- and visit.



Tristi and I headed up to the South Towne Expo Centre yesterday to set up our booth for the Utah Chocolate Show. To our delight and surprise, we found our booth to be twice the size of what we expected. So we unloaded the truck and drove back to Orem to pick up more items. 12 hours later our booth was a piece de resistance (is that how you spell it)! Tristi and I staggered home, pulling into our driveways about 10:00 - we left for Sandy that morning at 10:45. My back hurts and I'm tired, but our booth is rockin! Imagine . . . mind, body and soul. That's our theme this year.

We have a delightful collection of Tristi's fantastic bath & body products, Scentiments. And when I say her products are amazing -- yeah, that's a vast understatement. We also have scads of books from various LDS authors, both in the LDS market and out! A framed giclee print of Derek Hegsted's "Angel of Gethsemane," healthy chocolate, scrapbook picture frames and Marie Osmond dolls round things out. All proceeds from the painting, picture frames and Marie Osmond dolls will go to the Save the Sluyter Family Farm fund. With 10' x 20' booth, we've set up a library, Christmas trees and a beautiful display of Tristi's products. We are so happy with it and have made it as inviting as possible.

If you haven't been to the chocolate show come down and see us. Come on - it's a show centered on chocolate! Where can you go wrong?

9575 S State St
Sandy UT 84070-3212

So, what went on in the world yesterday while Tristi I were constructing our booth?

Hmmm, the parent company of Motel 6 decided to remove Bibles from all their hotels, all owned by the parent company and not just Motel 6, and replace them with sex kits.

Congress decided to slip America a fast one and remove the funding for the Southern Border Security fence and give it to the Department of Homeland Security. Anybody surprised? Democratic Congress? Nope - not surprised. The Democrats would make our borders so porous every criminal in the world will be waltz right through without hesitation or interference.

Barry Young of an Arizona radio station owned by Clear Channel conducted a direct and disrespectful, even horrifying, attack on Mormons and Mitt Romney. Yeah, I sent Clear Channel an email:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am horrified at the attack Barry Young made on Mormons. His clear attack, misdirection on information, etc was beyond belief. He attacked Mitt Romney for not making a statement on his religion. Does the idiot not read Time Magazine? He played a portion of the LDS temple ceremony, which is so sacred and beautiful to each Mormon -- how could he mock something so sacred? Does he even know the meaning of sacred?

Because of this ignorant and outrageous attack I will find a list of Clear Channel stations and will no longer be listening to them. I will not support any company who promotes such outrageous bigotry and a complete disregard for the religious beliefs of another.

Barry Young needs to be fired. Clear Channel management needs to issue a clear and concise apology for the barrage of disrespect, dishonor and mockery Young launched at Latter-day Saints. But don't apologize to just Mormons. Apologize to all for the promotion of religious bigotry on your station.
To top all that I went and made the mistake of going to Fantastic Sams on the corner of State and Center in Orem. I went with the picture of a pretty simple haircut, asked for highlights and lowlights and thought it would be a no-brainer. I have the worst possible haircut right now, the hairdresser used five, yes I said FIVE, bottles of haircolor on my hair . . . for highlights and lowlights, and then had the nerve to charge me $104 for that and a bad haircut. I'm so livid I could just scream. I tried talking to them, I tried for a partial refund because I am so bitterly unhappy and nothing. So, I'm boycotting Fantastic Sams. You don't have to join me, this is my own stand against substandard hairdressers. I should've known better! You can walk into this place with any picture and you're going to walk out with the exact same hairstyle as everyone else. They only know how to cut one way. They only known how to style one way, actually two. Either the straight, sleek look (so last season) or the "you've had a terrible fright" look. Yeah, I'm hat girl for the next few weeks while my abominably short bangs (she made a mistake and had to fix it) grow out.

It's official, the world has completely lost its mind!
Chocolate Show and This & That Chocolate Show and This & That Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, November 15, 2007 Rating: 5

21 comments:

  1. Wish I could come to the chocolate show. You should take it on the road and bring it to Alberta. I'm going to have to arrange with Tristi to pick up some of her product when I come down in March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're kidding about Clear Channel!! I can't believe that. The only 2 stations I listen to here are both CC stations. I guess I'm going to have to start listening to my iPod in the car. How in the world did he even get a recording of a Temple ceremony. What a jerk. Did you hear back from them? I'm curious to see what they had to say. Obviously there are so many LDS people in Arizona, I'm surprised there hasn't been more noise about it. I hope he loses his job.

    A chocolate show? Oh yummy! Want to come to Nebraska? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to that Fantastic Sams- Once, only once and never, ever went back.

    As for the recording, my mom, who works in the Alburqueque temple told me that they find people in the halls with their cell phones taking pictures, trying to record etc. all the time. This is one reason that the recommends have been changed to a barcode- so that if your wallet or whatever is lost or stolen, your recommend is also something along with your credit cards, checks etc that you report stolen. Then your bishop reports it to Salt Lake and the barcode is entered in the computer as stolen. Then when someone uses your recommend, it comes up as stolen and it is taken from the person and barred access to the temple.
    Before the bar codes, if your reccomend is stolen, the workers have no way of knowing whether the person using it is really and endowed and temple worthy person or not. But the ones that make my mom the maddest, are the ones that she knows are members and have been told to leave their cell phones in the car. (imagine cell phones ringing in the lockers while you are in a session and no way to for the workers to turn them off)

    ok, off my soap box and turning the blog back to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh. I listen to Barry Young and I didn't hear this. He should be careful what he says because he has a huge LDS audience. Is there a transcript somewhere of what he said? It sounds bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rotten day. *hugs*

    Good for you for writing a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So essentially, the world is going to heck in a handbasket but our skin will be deliciously soft while it happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you serious about the Motel 6? You're kidding, right?

    Sorry about the hair. Feel your pain. I'm hating my last hair mis-design. It was supposed to be soft curls and it's all frizz.

    As for cell phones in the temple. Don't tell Sandra, but I have my phone on LOUD and I take it everywhere--bathroom, bed--because my daughter is expecting a baby any minute. Went to the temple on Wednesday. Thought I'd left it in the car. Nope. It went off full blast in the foyer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. candace,
    that is so depressing what the motel did.

    your last line of your post was a hoot, sad but funny, too.

    hope you and your family have a peaceful weekend now that alvin is home.

    are you going to post marie's video clips from the rest of the dances? i loved it how you did that since i didn't see every show. she is such a little pistol of happiness, a breath of fresh air. i have enjoyed seeing her in the public eye ever since the donny and marie show. she seems geniunely excited/happy when she is. she seems easy to laugh with.

    blessings girl,
    kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie - I don't know that Annette and her sisters would ever take it on the road. But I know Colorado is doing one of its own. Maybe you should do one in Canada?

    And definitely talk to Tristi about getting a six month supply of her products while you're here in the states. That's what I do.

    Mindi - yeah, it was pretty shocking. I know Clear Channel has received a plethora of feedback about it. I don't know what's happened, I'll drop a line to Kerry Blair and see if she's heard anything. And I wish I could come to Nebraska! I lived in Omaha when I was little.

    Sandra, I had no idea that was going on. That's terrible. I don't understand how the meaning of the word "sacred" has completely escaped the last two generations. I don't understand how honor, integrity and decency have been thrown out the window. I'm sad.

    Janette - I don't know what happened with Barry after his attack on Mormons and Mitt Romney. One of the ladies on the Forever Friends email list actually heard it as she was driving to work. She was so hurt and horrified by what he did she was in shock. I felt really bad for her. Stuff like that just fires me up and gets me into the middle of things. But others it hurts their hearts and that makes me sad.

    Thanks, Jen. Hope you're feeling better.

    Kat, it would just make my day if you ever walked into one of the events I was working. I say you and your sweetheart plan a vacation out here for next year's Chocolate Show. I'll give you VIP tickets myself.

    Tristi - your products rock!

    Karlene - Motel 6? Nope, not kidding. It's a reality.

    My short bangs are killing me! I'm sorry for your frizzy hair. I stopped getting perms about four or five years ago. Since I started into menopause, and yes, I'm early, my hair went to hell in a handbasket. Perms no longer fell in beautiful curls, but were frizzy! I was a sad, sad woman. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of what I used to look like. I looked good! I miss my hair. I feel your pain feeling my pain.

    Cell phone on in the temple . . . really? I can't believe that. That's NEVER happened to me. Huh, what? My nose just grew!

    Kathleen - I will be posting the rest of Marie's spots on Dancing at the end of the show, which will be next week. Unless she's voted off tonight, which I hope she's not. I LOVED her quick step last night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. candace, awesome. you rock, kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have loved that chocolate show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candace,

    Did you even listen to the Barry Young show before you composed your comments? It sounds like you haven't. You make all LDS look bad with your rant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Graham - thanks for dropping by my blog. No, I did not personally hear Barry Young, my friend did and was very, very upset. As was I. If you're as aware as your blog pretends to be, you are aware that the Church is gaining a lot of interest because of Mitt Romney candidacy, both good and bad. I will always stand for right . . . you can blast away at me for doing that, but it will never stop me. I don't make all LDS look bad at all . . . but perhaps you ought to look in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candace,
    I'm not sure what your friend told you about what was going on at the Barry Young show but either she or you have seriously misrepresented the context and topics of discussion. You say that you stand for right, but here you are clearly spreading misinformation without knowing the truth. Some might call it "lying for the Lord." The truth doesn't need to be defended by falsehood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Candace,

    Regarding Barry Young on KFYI in Phoenix, AZ, unlike some people who are attacking him for the comments made that day regarding Mormonism, I was listening to Barry and heard it all. While Barry may be a little disrespectful (OK, he's a lot disrespectful, to a LOT of things), he did nothing wrong that day regarding the LDS church. He broke no laws, and certainly didn't do anything that would merit a firing. While he did have some fun at our (LDS Church members) expense, and while he did play the audio from a YouTube video that purports to be a recreation of a Temple ceremony, there wasn't anything "horrifying" about it. If anything, it was a good thing, as it just results in more people asking more questions on what we "Mormons" really believe. All Barry was doing was asking some honest questions.

    Barry may be disrespectful at times, but he has been quite complementary to members of the LDS church many times in the past. While others may attack him, I will stand up and defend him. He did nothing wrong.

    Scott
    A Phoenix AZ area resident and listener of Barry Young.

    p.s. Barry read your email to Clear Channel on the air verbatim this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scott - thanks for dropping by my blog. I've double-checked with my friend and there is no question she heard what you heard and took it very differently. I've stated a couple of times I didn't hear the broadcast, but I did see the email my friend sent . . . so let me ask you a couple of things:

    1. Clear Channel had an opportunity to respond to me, send me a weblink to hear the broadcast for myself and did not. I know I am not the only one who wrote an email to them, in fact quite a number of Latter-day Saints did. None of us, as far as I know, ever got a response. They could have cleared it up very quickly, they didn't.

    2. You said Barry did make comments, disrespectful as you put it, and play aired the audio from a YouTube video -- and you had no problem with that. My friend did. In fact, she was really upset.

    3. Barry read my email on the air this morning, that's fine. What did he say?

    Scott - if I'm wrong, then I will say so. But my friend stands by her interpretation of the events, so I stand by her until proven otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yeah - I wondered why this post was getting more comments all of a sudden - now I know why. Thanks, Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay - I've had a number of people drop by here because, apparently, Barry Young read my email on air yesterday. That's fine. I welcome you to my blog.

    But since one listener was offended by this aforementioned broadcast. Another swore it never happened. And yet another, said "Yeah, he did say and do that stuff, but it wasn't disrespectful in any way," I'm no longer clear what really happened. Especially since his listeners don't know either.

    I invite him to call me and explain himself to me . . . if he wants to. No skin off my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Candace, what are you claiming I "swore never happened"?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wasn't talking about you Graham. Not every comment sees the light of day. Chill.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.