Convention of Statesmen

ads

Nominations are Now Open!

Okay, I'll admit it. Anne Bradshaw over at Not Entirely British did a really good thing and I am shamelessly borrowing from her idea of spotlighting the most amazing youth in the world. I think it is incredible what she has done and the youth that are the finalists in her contest are truly amazing. If you haven't gone to her blog yet, read about them and vote, you're going to want to do that as soon as you're done reading mine, submitting a nomination and generally recognizing that I'm the greatest blogger to ever walk the earth . . . all right, all right, you don't have to do that last part. As long as it exists in my mind I'm okay with that.

Announcing the
Best Husband in the World Contest

I want to celebrate the most amazing husband in the world. Each of us married the man of our dreams, I certainly married mine. Alvin and I met at BYU in the hallway outside of Greek and Roman Mythology Class in 1983. There was no turning back, although it did take us being friends, then dating, then getting engaged, then breaking up and being apart for eight years, me being on national television which precipitated contact again, two more years and an intriguing three days which culminated in yet another engagement and finally marriage on May 4, 1995. There is SO much more to that story but you'll have to click here to get that, there's just not enough room in this blog, nor is it the purpose. (Let me just momentarily digress and say, man I loved that hair of mine.)

Since that day, I have been married to the most wonderfully attentive man who pays attention to my moods, my wishes, my hopes and my dreams. He comes home every day and calls my name the second he walks in the house. He greets me with a hug and a kiss and tells me he loves me. Through eight miscarriages he held me, cried with me, loved me and cherished me. Through six years of kidney failure we have walked that frightening path hand in hand, my husband never faltering as he suffered through multiple hospital stays, dialysis (3x a week, 5 hrs/day) and the subsequent financial difficulties. Hard to believe we've only been married twelve years when it feels as if we have been together a lifetime.

Through it all he has remained strong, worthy and is truly a man among men. I would not trade him for any other man in the world and count myself blessed every single day that we have another day on earth together. I count myself blessed that he was worthy to go the temple and we were sealed for all time and eternity and that we have lived up to those covenants.

My husband is a good man who loves his family, friends, neighbors, coworkers . . . pretty much all he comes into contact with. He has a God-given gift of reaching into the hearts of the troubled and reminding them of who they are and what they can accomplish. He loves music, oh he loves music (let's not get into the Temptations vs. the Osmonds thing.) But he makes sure that we see the movies I want, I have the books I enjoy and lovingly pushes me out the door to have lunch with friends. He simply ROCKS! I love him more than I can say.

Because I know there are other husbands just a wonderful out there, from now until midnight November 30, 2007 I will be taking nominations via this email address ces@candacesalima.com. The six finalists will be posted, please send a picture with the nomination, on December 1, 2007 when voting will commence and the winner will be chosen by you. Sadly, because it would just be skewed, my husband cannot win although I think he'd be a shoe in. On December 15, 2007 the winner will be announced.

I'll spend the next two months finding some great prizes for the finalists as well as the Grand Prize. As each prize is added, I will post them in the right hand column. Of course, certificates will be awarded that will be suitable for framing. So start nominating! Tell me about your husband and why you think he is the Best Husband in the World!

Okay, I'm sorry -- this has nothing to do with this marvelous contest I just announced, but I just had to . . . I took another one of those stupid tests.



Your Aura is Green



You're very driven, competitive, and even a bit jealous.

However, you seek out balance in your life - and you usually achieve it!

The purpose of your life: inspiring others to be better

Famous greens include: Tony Robbins, Donald Trump, Martha Stewart

Careers for you to try: Guru, CEO, Talk Show Host



That is exactly what I try to tell everyone. I should be a CEO or Talk Show Host. See? I told you so!

Don't forget to spread the word about the auction below. The proceeds all go to the Save the Sluyter Family Farm fund. Thank you one and all.

Nominations are Now Open! Nominations are Now Open! Reviewed by Unknown on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 Rating: 5

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea. I'll start pondering immediately. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture and an amazing husband you have. I'm so sorry you have had to experience so much pain; but, so happy you have a supportive partner who weathers the storms with you.

    I'm a firm believer that a couple needs to experience the sadness in life to know whether you are truly life partners. No need for slouches who slink away at the first sign of trouble.

    Here's to great husbands like yours and mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri,

    I'm glad you like the idea. I wish to celebrate the good and wonderful men of this world so inundated with mediocrity and wickedness. Good men abound in this world but are rarely celebrated. That's what this contest is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip Writer Mama,

    Thanks. I am married to the most wonderful man whom I absolutely adore.

    Hats off to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm not sure I even recognize that guy. I think if you had used the phrase, "...absolute monarch and ruler of all things football..." in addition to all of those nice things you mentioned, I would have definitely figured out it was your man - ME. You're so awesome. I love you!!
    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, honey. I love you too! I think it's all right if you are "...absolute monarch and ruler of all things football..." King Alvin of the far off land of football. . . Hmmm, Julie Wright, I need some help here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candace...great idea for a contest. Be warned though...I'm gonna win! (wink, wink) I'll start working on my entry soon and will let you know when I have it ready. In the meantime, I've linked to your contest on my blog. Also, I did the "aura test" and I'm the same as you!

    Great photo of you and your hubby BTW!

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi candace:
    this was fun. thanks for posting the quiz, too, kathleen

    says i am "Your Aura is Blue

    Spiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life.
    You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships.

    The purpose of your life: showing love to other people

    Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah

    Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Candace for visiting my blog again. You are a great supporter...my family doesn't even "get it" but you do...
    I have to think of a fabulous way to nominate my hubby (duh, he is the best) in a way that will totally impress him enough to raise my monthly allowance of spending money...HMMMM!
    I also did the aura thing and it said I was blue. I thought that was interesting.
    Have a great day!
    BTW, Since 3 of my children are adopted and the other 2 are complete and utter miracles (I had a tubal pregnancy and only have one ovary plus PCOS)- I understand how special and important it is to have a committed and "with you every step of the crappy journey" partner. My husband is mine and I would be lost without him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. candace:
    one more thing, i love your post today. you truly touched me by what you wrote about your mate ... and that little comment about your hair made me snicker, too.

    blessings to you and your guy today, kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cool idea! Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely be entering! (and I'm glad your husband can't be a contestant!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not married to him but I think I'll nominate Alvin! :)

    I'll get back to you with a rockin' nomination (for my hubby.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kat,

    I got to thinking about all my friends and acquaintances entering their husband and quailed at the thought of picking the winner. I am forming a committee right now, of single people, to choose the winner. I ain't no dummy!

    Thanks for linking the contest on your blog. I really appreciate and want to celebrate the good men out there. Thanks for helping me.

    Should we do a talk show together? How funny would we be? We'd be number one in no time!

    And thanks, that picture is our engagement picture. I just spoke to our photographer (Scott Smith Photography: http://scottsmithphotography.blogspot.com) and we're getting some updated pictures in a couple of weeks. Alvin wants his hair to grow a little more (bad haircut) and I'd like to lose a few more pounds first. Big sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Grateful to be Mormon,

    Bah ha . . . psychic! You gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pezlady,

    Thanks for dropping by. And yes, definitely nominate your husband. See comment to Kat up above about the voting.

    A spouse who supports in every way in priceless above all measure, be they wife or husband.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenna,

    Ha, ha -- my hubby's too awesome, isn't he? It wouldn't be fair to host the contest and then have my husband win . . . man, how death threats would I get then?

    I can't wait to see your nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tristi,

    You make me laugh! I'm telling you -- CD of your hilarious songs will make a killing!

    Again, can't wait to read the nominations. I've already had some great ones that have seriously touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Candace -

    This sounds like so much fun! But I think I missed something - how do we nominate our hubbies? Is there an essay, word count limit, etc? Or do I just say, "I nominate my husband John because he truly is the Best Hubby in the World!" and win? :)

    Danyelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nominate him by sending me an email with an essay as to why he is the best husband in the world. Please be sure to include a picture.

    It's as simple as that.

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  20. candace:
    you are too cute. loved your comment about how you reacted to my "leave your comment" area. you made me smile and i have been needing lots of those lately, so thanks.

    psychic, eh? you ever notice how you never see plastered across headlines that psychics won the lottery? big time hmmm? and no pun intended how you wrote "big sigh," eh? you could've written "little sigh." you're cute and fun and i am sooooo enjoying your blog and your notes. how do you stumble upon me? oh yea, i remember, i asked anne if she was the author of the book i bought last week and you answered me directly before she posted an answer to me. have really been enjoying you, so thanks for stumbling upon me recently.

    blessings to you and your mountain man tonight. he sounds like a rock, a foundation in your life, and i know you are grateful for his presence in your life. happy for you, kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  21. "...absolute monarch and ruler of all things football..." ???? Candace, He's probably right, I doubt I can help with that one. But this really is a great thought. Of course my husband rocks in every way imagineable. He laughs at my jokes and He makes the kids giggle in sacrament meeting. yep . . . that man rocks my world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Jules. Be sure and nominate Scott, just a short essay as to why he's so awesome and a pic will do the job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.