Convention of Statesmen

ads

Health Tip: Cinnamon

When my father died, I was privileged to be there. And over the course of the following weeks I stayed with my mother helping through that exceedingly difficult time. During that time, I did a lot of sorting for my mom and stumbled across this incredible information about the healing power of cinnamon.

According to HealthDiaries.com:
  • Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.
  • Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes. (I am a borderline diabetic and have had no blood sugar spikes and drops since taking Cinnamon on a daily basis.)
  • In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.
  • In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
  • It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.
  • In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.
  • When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.
  • One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.
  • Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.
  • It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.
I asked my mother if she knew about this and she replied in the affirmative. I asked a couple of friends and again, they replied in the affirmative. Sheesh people! Share! I've been struggling with blood sugar spikes and drops my entire life!

Fast forward 16 months. I have been taking two capsules of cinnamon every day for the last year and have found that my blood sugar has indeed been stabilized. I don't have spikes and dips anymore, unless I eat or drink a little too much "sugar." At any rate, I've had good success with cinnamon.

So first, make sure to pick up a good quality cinnamon. I prefer to buy all my supplements from SwansonVitamins.com -- great quality, great prices.

Second, make an appointment with your doctor and discuss the studies with him. My doctor is great at helping me to understand portions of studies that are incomprehensible to me.


Join the Neighborhood Newsletter . . . Subscriptions are free and joining is easy.

Return to the Neighborhood.
Health Tip: Cinnamon Health Tip: Cinnamon Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, July 25, 2008 Rating: 5

17 comments:

  1. Wow...I certainly never knew that about cinnamon! Thanks for the info.

    How do you take yours? Do you just mix it with honey and take by spoonful or do you put it on something like toast?

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat,

    I just purchase a bottle of cinnamon in capsules from Swanson Vitamins and take two every morning, and two more if I feel the need later in the day.

    It's one of the simplest things in the world that I wish I'd known about a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Who would have thought cinnamon could do all of that? Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie,

    It's amazing isn't it. Even with my knowledge of herbs and their benefits, I was startled to find cinnamon to be so beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be getting a bottle of cinnamon! I have arthritis and take medicine for it, but the pain is never all the way gone. You are an awsome woman, Candace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know all that. I put cinnamon on my oatmeal because I like it. And I have cinnamon (and a few other fragrances) in my oil warmer right now. I just love the smell of cinnamon.

    Maybe that's my body telling me how much I need it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember you telling me about this, but the brain being like a sieve and all . . .

    How much for a bottle, and next time you order, can we share shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like something I might be interested in. I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and I've been blessed with a form of rheumatoid arthritis (character building moments)Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I eat cinnamon as much as possible. My doctor turned me on to it to help with my blood sugar too. So easy and so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Candace. I love learning more about natural remedies. My daughter is having trouble regulating her blood sugar. I'm going to give her the info so she can give cinnamon a try.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info, Candace. I'll be getting a bottle the next time I go to town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra,

    Ah shucks, awesome woman? Yes, I'm blushing. Good luck with the use of Cinnamon for your arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone, thanks for dropping by my blog today. Cinnamon truly is an amazing herb. Please make sure to keep in touch with your doctors if you are using it. Do not go off any medication until it is cleared by your doctor.

    Good luck to one and all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use cinnamon every time we get a viral bug. Works wonders. Glad you finally found out about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, good to know. Thanks for dropping by and telling us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never heard about cinnamon before. Fortuneatly it's something I like! I wonder if it does anything for weight.

    And Love Me For a Reason is my favorite Osmond song.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm pretty amazed at the effects cinnamon can have.

    As to weight loss, I don't know. I've been doing pretty well with 5HTP and Xoçai chocolates. I've cut out the pop and most refined sugars and exercising now. Finally seeing some results.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.