Convention of Statesmen

ads

What's a Dosha?

First and foremost, I wish to thank Ali from Girl in a Whirl who gave me this lovely award. My childhood dreams of winning an Academy Award for best screenplay pale in comparison, and I do not lie.

How very sweet of her to pass this award on to me and to express thanks for the comments I post on her blog and the blogs I post on my site. It's nice to know that the thought I put in my blogs is appreciated. So, I'll pass this on to Anne Bradshaw Not Entirely British and ask her to thoughtfully pass it on as well.

Now on to what I blogged about today, as I head out to the second day of the LDSBA (LDS Booksellers Association) Convention. It's like a reunion seeing all the wonderful people from all the LDS Bookstores across the world, in addition to a lot of the same exhibitors I've seen over the past years.

What's a Dosha? I mean really -
unless you do yoga, would anybody know that?

I hit one of my favorite websites, Merriam Websters Online Dictionary and they didn't have anything. Apparently dosha isn't a word according to the experts.

Ah ha, but they did have a link. It's a yoga thing! But, alas, I couldn't find anything in the chaos of the page I was sent to . . . so I Googled "dosha." Found it at last.

Your Dosha is Pitta

You have a quick mind, a gift for persuasion, and a sharp sense of humor.

You have both the drive and people skills to be a very successful leader.

Argumentative and a bit stubborn, you have been known to be a little too set in your ways. But while you may be biased toward your own point of view, you are always honest, fair, and ethical.

With friends: You are outgoing and open to anyone who might want to talk to you

In love: You are picky but passionate

To achieve more balance: Be less judgmental of those around you, and take cool walks in the moonlight.


According to the What's Your Dosha website

Ayurveda is India’s 5,000 year old “Science of Life” and it is the art of living in harmony with nature. Your dosha is your Ayurveda mind & body type. There are three doshas in Ayurveda: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. We each have all three of the doshas in our physiology, just in different proportions, so your dosha is unique and personal; it is like your fingerprint. To determine your dosha, or ayurveda mind & body type, start by taking the dosha quiz. This will tell you which dosha is dominant for you. What’s your dosha, Baby? Take the dosha quiz and find out!

So, then I had to ask, "What is a Pitta?" Sounds like the center of some exotic fruit. The What's Your Dosha website was kind enough to provide a little more information than the above test.

Pitta-type people are generally of medium size and well proportioned. They have a medium amount of physical energy and stamina. They also tend to be intelligent and have a sharp wit and a good ability to concentrate. Fire is a characteristic of Pitta, whether it shows up as fiery red hair or a short temper. Since Pittas' body temperature is generally warm, Pitta types can go out of balance with overexposure to the sun. Their eyes are sensitive to light. They are ambitious by nature but also can be demanding and abrasive. Pitta types are known for their strong digestion but should be careful not to abuse it. Their heat makes them particularly thirsty, and they should take caution not to douse their agni, or digestive fire, with too much liquid during meals. Pitta dosha leads us to crave moderation and purity. We rely on Pitta to regulate our intake of food, water, and air. Any toxins, such as alcohol or tobacco, show up as a Pitta imbalance. Toxic emotions such as jealousy, intolerance, and hatred also should be avoided to keep Pitta in balance for optimum health.

Whew, good thing I found that out. I think I like the definition I posted at the first of this blog better. This other one is just a little too Hindu or eastern Indian for me.

I have a better solution. Look in the mirror, take stock of both the negative and positive aspects of your personality and body and then make the changes you need to make.
What's a Dosha? What's a Dosha? Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, August 16, 2007 Rating: 5

11 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks so much for the award, Candace! I've never had one before in my life. I'm one of those who runs behind, tripping over my shoelaces to catch up :-)

    Hmmm--now let's think who I can pass it on to next. There are so many worthy bloggers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Kapha. Here's what it says:

    Calm and grounded, you are not prone to mood swings or anger.
    However, once you do get angry, it takes a lot to cool you down.
    You tend to think a little slower than most people, but your logic is astounding.
    Overall, you very loyal and trustworthy. You're not scared of being who you really are.

    With friends: You enjoy their company, but often listen more than talk

    In love: You crave connection and affection. It's hard for you to be single.

    To achieve more balance: Exercise vigorously (especially in the sun) and let go of attachments.


    I agree with all of this except for a couple of things -- I actually think pretty quickly, and I'm only occasionally content to be quiet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU Tristi for typing the description for a Kapha, which I am also! :0)
    I don't have a problem cooling down and I don't like to exercise in the sun, but everything else is a pretty good describtion of who I am.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Candace on your Nice Matters Award. You certainly deserve it!

    Thanks two for teaching me two new words I've never ever heard of before.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne

    You are so welcome. Enjoy the award, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tristi,

    Yeah, mine was only about 75% accurate. Looks like yours was too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kat. Can't wait to try your Chicken Divan recipe. I'm going to make it on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also Kapha. I wouldn't say I have a lot of logic, though... and anyone who knows me will whole-heartedly agree!

    Thank you so much for coming by and visiting, and for putting our contest on your site. I just got the tote bag in today and it is HUGE!! It's gonna take a pile of books and bath goodies to fill THAT thing up :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judy,

    Wow, I'm surrounded by Kaphas . . . must mean you are the cooler people.

    And no problem on visiting your blog, it looks like it is going to be a wonderful thing you are doing. And yeah, I hope I win the tote. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew is right! That was interesting though, of course I'm going to have to try it out for myself!

    You are very welcome for the award Candace. You truly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dosha thing was a lot of kicks and giggles, you'll enjoy it.

    And thanks, Ali. You're a doll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.