Convention of Statesmen

ads

My Weekend -- Not from Hell, but approaching the 1st Level

Okay, anyone who knows Dante knows my 1st level reference.

Through me the way into the suffering city,
through me the way to the eternal pain,
through me the way that runs among the lost.
Justice urged on my highest artificer;
my maker was divine authority,
the highest wisdom and the primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Abandon every hope, who enter here.

"Abandon every hope, who enter here." Hmmm . . . okay, maybe the weekend wasn't that bad. In fact, it actually had many bright points.

On Friday, I drove to Logan to sign books for a charity book signing. The downside, it was 97 degrees outside and we were put under a black tarp on the sidewalk. So needless to say it was hot! Also, I only signed two books . . . a far cry from my 162 books at my best signing. (Of course, Coach LaVell Edwards played into that one, I have to be honest.) Although there were lots of people walking by, no one, okay maybe one or two, was in the mood to buy books. Sadly, the place this lack of interest hurt was The Child and Family Support Center (a center for suffering from abuse.) That is who the proceeds were going to . . . so if anyone is interested in donating to this wonderful charity, please check out their website.

Now, the upside of the night: My table was next to RaeAnne Thayne, author for Silhouette, which is one of the top publishers of womens fiction in the world. Her latest book High-Stakes Honeymoon is on my night table and I am anxious to dive in. RaeAnne and I had a great conversation and I made a new friend that night. It was a lot of fun! Also there were Cami Checketts, Janet Jensen, Matthew Buckley and many more authors. It was fun. Cami had cut the tips of three of her fingers off and her left hand was wrapped in gauze and propped on a pillow. Ouch! Talk about being a real trooper, I saw one that night. So despite the heat and lack of public interest, it was a lot of fun. Of course, once I realized the drive to and from Logan was the exact same distance to my mother's farm in southwestern Colorado I was a bit taken aback. Gas prices you know.

TIP: RaeAnne gave me a great writers tip . . . one that really helped. She said when she gets stuck with a story she takes a pen and pad of paper and starts writing that way. She said that it accesses a different part of the creative process in the brain. I don't know if she's right or not, but it works!

And so now we move to the next portion of my weekend. My mother's benefit dinner/auction. I thought I'd spread the word. I'd certainly solicited help to sell tickets, sold some myself and still the turnout was dismal. The food was great! Thanks to the dutch oven catering company Let's Go Dutch. The company better, everyone there was extremely generous . . . but the amount of money I'd wanted to raise for my mother was an impossibility. While I was very down at heart Saturday night, on Sunday I decided to just keep plugging away. So, Monday morning I created a section on my website for a Benefit Auction. There is certainly more than one way to skin cat, although why one would want to I cannot begin to guess.

I wish to express my gratitude to all who donated auction items, some of which are up for auction on the above mentioned link, to those who helped organize, to those who donated money and to those who love my mother, my family and me. We can, as a family, never show enough gratitude for what you have done. Thank you.

Through the entire weekend, despite disappointments in certain areas, I was reminded of the phenomenal friends, family and associates I have. The generosity of these people was tremendous and my heart was filled to overflowing.

And so I am reminded . . . even in the darkest hour the greatest light will shine from the hearts of those you love. So no, I didn't even dip a toe into Dante's levels of hell, not even the first one. I will not abandon hope . . .
My Weekend -- Not from Hell, but approaching the 1st Level My Weekend -- Not from Hell, but approaching the 1st Level Reviewed by Unknown on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. Hi lieverd!
    I'm sorry to hear that the benefit was not the huge success I hoped it would be for you.
    On the bright side, you did meet a lot of wonderful people and even made a new friend! :0)
    My love and prayers for you always,
    Marja X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make a new friend ... you in Holland. Everything about the benefit and my attempts to raise money for my mother was wonderful, except that not enough money was raised. I have been so blessed by the generosity of so many and my heart staggered at the generosity of those who do not know my mother. Thank your donations and your Delft blue tiles. Those were snapped right up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.