Convention of Statesmen

ads

Dancing With The Stars

I can admit it. I'm a Dancing With The Stars addict. What can I say? When my husband was in the hospital a couple of years ago I was trapped in the hospital room with him. Patient controls the remote. That's the unwritten rule of the hospital. So I watched every show my husband wanted to watch. And yes, Dancing With The Stars was one of them. This year it's especially fun to watch because one of my best girlfriends is competing on the show.

As many of you know, Marie and I are dear friends. I was so excited when she told me she would be competing in this year's DWTS's. Then I found out she was paired with Jonathan and I thought to myself, "Could it be any more perfect." Jonathan is the master at making his partner look good.

So it was with baited breath that I watched her dancing debut tonight. She looked beautiful and Jonathan choreographed a marvelous routine that played to her strengths, as is usual with him.

For those of you who don't know how the show works, here's a basic rundown.

Professional ballroom dancers (top of their field) are paired with unlikely stars. With six weeks before the first night of competition, they learn the rudiments of ballroom, hone their skills and attempt to master in a short time what their partners have taken a lifetime to do. Then each week they have seven days to learn a new dance. Then, if they make it to this point, they have to start learning two dances in seven days. Challenging? Yes. Daunting? Yes? Possible? For some.

So on the roster this year are: Melanie Brown (Scary Spice), Sabrina Bryan (Cheetah Girl (don't ask me, I don't know)), Helio Castroneves (NASCAR racer), Mark Cuban (self-made billionaire/owner of the Houston Mavericks), Jennie Garth (90210 actress), Josie Maran (model/actress), Cameron Mathison (soap actor), Floyd Mayweather (boxer), Wayne Newton (entertainer), Marie Osmond (need I say more?), Albert Reed (model) and Jane Seymour (again, need I say more?) Quite an eclectic group, which is what the producers strive for.

Marie has been performing since she was three-years-old, but as she said to me and to the world, "I can't dance." Well Jonathan managed to prove her wrong. I think she'll only improve with every week. She has an incredible competitive streak!

I could not be prouder of my friend. She's a good woman with a good heart. And now she's participating in my favorite show. How fun is that?

So please watch the show and if you like her dancing, VOTE, VOTE, VOTE! It's a relatively painless process. You're allowed to vote six times from each phone number and email address. Yes, I voted six times from cellphone, from my home phone and from the internet. Hey, they let me do it!

So this is my shout out to Marie. Go girl! I'll be cheering you on.
Dancing With The Stars Dancing With The Stars Reviewed by Unknown on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 Rating: 5

25 comments:

  1. So fun! You're a good friend- heck with all those votes?! WOW :)

    GO MARIE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot of fun. I'm happy for her, because she's having fun. But I thought Jane Seymour showed so much elegance and grace with her dance. Then there was Sabrina Bryan who was a better dancer, but not strictly ballroom.

    We'll have to see how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this show, but then I was a ballroom dancer (hence the name of my blog). I was so happy to see that Marie would be competing and I thought she was fabulous last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great show isn't it? I absolutely adore ballroom dancing. My husband has promised that we'll take ballroom dancing classes together so that he can learn how to. Just waiting for life to calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched this show for the first time last season and Johnathan was my favorite male partner. How perfect that he is paired with Marie this season. I always get way to addicted to these types of shows. I get way too emotionally involved. I wasn't going to get hooked again this season but you have changed my mind. I have always been a huge Marie fan. (By the way, how cool is it that you know her personally.) My only complaint about the show is the costumes. It's strangly uncomfortable to watch with my pre-teen sons sitting next to me. Hopefully with Marie's standards we will be able to watch it and cheer her on. Go Marie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I saw that she was going to be on the show, but it's not on Cout TV so we don't watch it. My husband is in control of the clicker in the evenings. So we tent to watch Court TV, Food TV, or some motorsport. You'll have to cheer her on for me. I also was wondering bout the outfits.... some of those are really nt acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to admit it, but DWTS definitely falls into the same category as Love American Style, Fantasy Island, The Donny and Marie Show, Little House On The Prairie, and BH90210; guilty pleasures all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure I would love this show if I had access to TV. Alas . . . it is not meant to be, but I can be excited for Marie with you. I loved Ballroom dancing in college . . . sigh, the good ole days when I was in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Plus these are some great publicity pictures. She's always been one of the prettiest women alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you know that the costumer for DWTS is the same guy that does the costumes for the BYU ballroom dance team?
    However, there is a committe that approves and tells the changes that have to be made for ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never watched the show but now I want to. I saw Marie on the Tonight Show and thought she was hillarious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laurie - yes, this show is a must see. I do hope that Marie will win but she has fierce competition with Cheetah Girl and Jane Seymour. As to the standards, those ballroom gowns are pretty scandalous, aren't they?

    Carrie - sorry you're going to miss the show. It is so much fun to watch. We'll cheer her on in your behalf.

    Millar - absolutely!

    Julie - those were the days weren't they? I never missed a ballroom dance competition at BYU when I was younger. Ouch! Did I just say "when I was younger?" That hurt!

    Tristi - she is a beautiful woman.

    Sandra - no, I didn't know that. I'm shocked!

    Janette - oh you have to! It is such a blast to watch. We've always tivoed it in the past because we didn't vote. But last night I voted and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot it started and missed the first night. I wanted to see Marie. And (don't tell anyone) Dr. Quinn was one of my favorite shows. But I've told my daughter to set my TV to record it and I can see all the rest when I get back home.

    btw, Cheetah Girls is a Disney movie. First one starred Raven Simone. Not a show I'd ever watch of my own free will, but back when we only had one TV, it was two (my girls) against one (me). I don't have to tell you who won, do I?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No worries, Karlene. This was a better first night than any previous season but still left a lot to be the desired. The best weeks are ahead.

    I'm a big fan of Jane Seymour, because she just seems to be loaded with so much class.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi candace:
    this is so neat and that marie is your friend, too. i loved watching donny and marie on tv when i was a kid.

    i just adore jane seymour in anything -- such class. what channel (cable??) does this show come on. i saw one night of it one time this past summer while my ward women were knitting for a service project. it was so fun to root them on! that was the night that that ian zerning?? from 90210 did a fantastic dance dressed as elvis. i totally enjoyed the show that one night i saw. tell me when if you know.

    so happy for your friend :) kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankyou for your welcome comments on my blog. It helps alot. I have never seen Danceing with the stars. I will watch for it. How neat that you have wonderful friendship with Marie. I am sure you'll have a whole group of us... to cheer her on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathleen - the show airs on ABC, so whatever channel that is for you, you can catch it there.

    Wom - Thanks for dropping by. Each blog is important in its own sphere and I enjoy dropping by yours. Thanks for being willing to cheer Marie on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow--you're friends with Marie Osmond??? That's amazing. Tell her I'm a huge fan.

    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.

    I really enjoy this show. I haven't watched it yet, (it's on my tivo) but I'm excited to.

    I've been excited ever since I heard she was going to be on it. I just hope she doesn't sell out and give in to the slutty stuff. I'm sure you know what I mean. Hollywood would love that. I don't think she will.

    Fun to hear your inside scoop! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very fun that you get to be friends with her! She seems very sincere and warm. I love the show too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love DWTS too! I was so happy to see that Marie is a contestant this season. Let's see, in our family we have 4 email addresses, 1 landline and 3 cell phones. 32 votes for Marie! Anyone who can't watch the show on TV should be able to see it on the ABC site.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's cool that you're friends with Marie. I'm a huge fan of the entire family.

    And this is my first time actually watching the show, and I'm watching because of her.

    And it's funny she says she can't dance because I remember her dancing on her show, even tapping.

    As far as the costumes, some of those women don't even wear a dress. They just wear bikinies with rhinestones and fringe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dancin' Queen, I'll pass that on to Marie. She's incommunicado right now because of the amount of rehearsals which are required to participate in this show. But I'll tell her when she gets home.

    Jenna - Marie's a good lady. Glad you're enjoying the show.

    Marta - Vote, vote, vote. I'm so glad you like DWTS -- I absolute adore that show. Who knew?

    Anna Maria - I hope you enjoy the show. Marie considers herself an entertainer, specifically a singer and talk show hosts, professional dancing never crossed her path. She had choreography to learn in her younger years but it was nothing compared to what she is learning now.

    To all - I'm certain Marie will be very careful what she wears.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I watched all three shows this week. Such entertainment. I've learned to look past the costumes and focus on the talent. Sometimes it's pretty hard, but this year has some great dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this show! The competition is tough this year. Amazing!

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  25. Framed - I do the same thing.

    Kat - me too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.