Convention of Statesmen

ads

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I'M FINISHED!!!!!!!!! It rocked! Yesterday morning a friend of mine took me to get a pedicure for my birthday. My favorite place to get this done is at my local Wal-Mart. As we walked inside the doors, ten hours after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released, there were only 150 left of the 5,000 books that had been put out at midnight. I didn't know this before I sat down in the pedicure chair.

I was in the middle of said procedure when I saw a friend of ours walking by with two Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in his bag. I called out to him and we spoke for a few minutes before he mentioned the rapidly dwindling supply. So there I was, literally trapped in the middle of a pedicure (the best ever, by the way) and unable to grab a couple of copies. Another woman, waiting for her manicure asked if I wanted her to go get me my copies (one for me, one for my sister)? Oh yeah, I jumped all over that. She was so sweet and was back in moments with my treasure. See, there are still really nice people left in the world.

It was 9:00 p.m. before I was able to sit down and open that book. I thought I was going to expire from curiosity. I turned page 784 at 3:46 a.m. the next morning. I'm 43, soon to be 44 (next week), and the thought that I would stay up all night reading a book never even crossed my mind. I was too tired, too exhausted, too busy, too everything. Nevertheless, there I was, breathlessly turning every page, scared that Harry was going to bite the dust in the next chapter. J.K. Rowling is really, really good.

This book was a well-written and well-paced story. Twists and turns, exciting duels, people going down EVERYWHERE until I wondered if she was going to kill everyone off at the end of the book. But never worry that I will spoil the end. You'll have to read the book yourself and find out who lives, who dies and what happens to them.

Two thumbs up baby! I'm sad the series is over.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Reviewed by Unknown on Sunday, July 22, 2007 Rating: 5

12 comments:

  1. Hi - thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I hope you'll come back to visit again!
    I picked up my HP yesterday afternoon, but I haven't had a ton of time to read yet - so just getting started. I think I'll try and savor this book - like you, I'm going to be very sad to see the series end.
    I like your blog and will be back to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished it Sunday Night and--Wow--loved it! The book AND a pedicure...now that sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kris,

    Thanks for dropping by. You'll absolutely love this last Harry Potter. I thought J.K. Rowling did a fantastic job. Anyone that can make me forget how tired, exhausted and worn out I am is an amazing writer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Josi,

    Oh yeah -- it was a red-letter day for me (just where did the phrase "red-letter day" come from O Wise One.) I had a Harry Potter hang-over on Sunday. I was so irresponsible but I LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update on Harry Potter! ----

    Final 'Potter' Book Breaks Sales Records
    Jul 22, 12:25 PM EST

    The Associated Press

    NEW YORK -- The records are breaking, yet again. Borders Group Inc. announced Sunday that "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" sold 1.2 million copies worldwide in its first day, the biggest single-day number ever for the superstore chain. According to orders, the previous Potter, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," sold 850,000 copies on its first day of release in 2005.

    Scholastic Inc., the book's U.S. publisher, was expected to announce sales figures later Sunday. British publisher Bloomsbury will release data Monday.

    The seventh and final volume of J.K. Rowling's fantasy series was released Saturday with a first printing of 12 million in the U.S. alone. Pre-orders for Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble topped 1 million and stores everywhere reported manic activity upon the book's midnight release.

    Reviews have been almost universally ecstatic and sales and reader enthusiasm apparently unharmed by prerelease "spoilers" that proliferated on the Internet.

    "The book was fascinating and I think I'll have to read it through at least once more before I get the full scope of it — but I thought it had some of her best, most action-packed, funniest moments in it," says Melissa Anelli, webmaster for the Potter fan site http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org, who said she finished the 759-page book Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love, love, loved it!!!!!!!!!!!

    I agree with Josi - HP and a pedicure??? Divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know . . . it was my lucky day. I don't know how my birthday on Thursday can even top that.

    My sister is doing birthday cake and ice cream at five, I'm speaking at her book club at seven, and then my husband are off to a late movie. Okay, that sound like a lot of fun too! Oh yeah, throw in my precious nephews and nieces and there's nothing in the world that can beat that!

    But pedicure and HP! Whew, hard one to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Signed in as the wrong user. Webmaster was me, for anyone who didn't catch that. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started Saturday night, but did the responsible thing and went to bed early so I could make it to church. I did not much else on Sunday after church though, and finished it about 3 am on Mon. morning.
    Loved it and am sad that it is over. I blogged about it over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandra,

    Bravo for being responsible. When I go to church next week I have to do some serious repentance. I ended up sleeping straight through church. I'm proud of you!

    Great book. I was sorry to see it end too. I can't wait to see what J.K. Rowling is going to right next. I wish she'd upgrade to a computer. It takes her forever to write books longhand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been able to read it yet--my kids have taken over the book--but I am dying to find out what happens. They keep giving me little snippets, even though I told them all I wanted to know was whether Harry lived or died, but I'm still so curious I can hardly stand it. I, too, was travelling when the book came out and now I'm trying to get over jet lag. I'm seriously considering using the book to help me stay awake when a wave of tiredness overtakes me. You know, it just might work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Worked for me, Rhonda. I'd recommend picking up another copy at Wal-Mart for $17.00. It'd kill me to be waiting. Wait, I know. Once the kids go to bed, get the book from whomever has it, curl up in bed and find out what happens to Harry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.