Convention of Statesmen

ads

Becoming Politically Active

I've had a number of people ask me how they could become more politically active. As I've tossed out an idea or two to them I began to realize that there were lots of wonderful Americans out there who literally have no idea how to make their voices be heard within their own states let alone in Washington, D.C. It's hard, there's no question. But let me go through a few things that will help you become more politically aware and active. There is no need to do them all, although it is what I do.

1. Become familiar with your congressmen and senators, on both state and federal levels. Pay attention to what they are doing in office and how they are voting on issues. Call or write or email or fax them when you are aware of an issue you have an extreme strong position on. Do not call simply to harangue, but call with substantial information. Meaning, if you're unhappy about illegal immigration, get the stats (they are all over the internet) and call. If you're unhappy with the cancellation of the oil leases in Utah, Wyoming & Colorado, get the information (info on this blog) and call.

2. Use reputable sources to get your information. I am fond of www.foxnews.com, www.truthorfiction.com, www.desnews.com, www.whitehouse.gov, www.senate.gov, www.house.gov, www.archives.gov, www.glennbeck.com, www.seanhannity.com, www.rushlimbaugh.com and many more. Alway double and triple check the information so you can be confident you've got the correct information.

3. If you do not have a personal blog, create one. I am fond of www.blogger.com while others are fierce fans of www.wordpress.com. It doesn't really matter which one you use, just begin a blog. I began mine as a way to share my journey as an author but decided I wanted to write about anything that struck my fancy. Over the course of time, with the onset of the Obama administration, my blog became more and more political. But I also write about life, history, writing, recipes, etc. Whatever is on my mind at the moment. Just be sure to label your blogs so those simply seeking political blogs can click on the politics label and get everything you've written.

When you contact your congressmen or senators, be certain to always blog about the issue and your contact with your elected officials. If they do a great job in communicating with you and addressing your concerns, blog about it. If they do a lousy job, blog about it. The point is, to make your blog a trusted source by being honest, thorough and careful. You'll get haters, ignore them. It just means you're doing it right. By the way, moderate all your comments. Some of those haters are really foul and ugly and those types of comments serve no purpose. I do approve those who oppose what I think, but only if they write it in a calm and concise manner. Ranting and raving doesn't get put through on my blog.

Blogs are very powerful tools and you will notice that every news station and newspaper now have their own bloggers. Some are certifiably insane, witness the New York Times blogger who fantasizes about having sex with Obama, and yes, she wrote it on the NYT official blog. Okay, yuck!

4. Create a personal email list centered around politics. I began mine and it has grown to thousands and continues to grow. Anyone desiring to be added to my political list emails me and lets me know. I have a separate email list for the readers of my books and I do keep those two separate. Email your political blogs to this list as well as important or pertinent information. Do not forward silly emails to this list, keep it strictly political which will mean those on that list will come to trust you not to email them unless it is important.

5. Write letters/emails to the editors of newspapers and news stations addressing your political concerns. Be succinct and thorough. Always post these letters, and any responses you may get on your blog.

6. Contact your local political party and develop a relationship with them. Learn about local and national issues, become involved. Run for office at your local caucus or run for offices within the party administration. Attend your meetings and be faithful to the trust placed in you by those who have elected you.

I am the precinct chair of my Republican precinct. As such, I listen to any and all of the people in my precinct who wish to express their opinions on the issues. Shockingly, very few every call me. I can count the people on one hand who have conversations with me about their concerns. So find out who your precinct chair is and develop a relationship with them.

7. Learn the political process from your local caucus all the way to the white house.

8. Study the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Know them well and understand the reasoning behind the thinking of the founding fathers when they established a republic rather than a pure democracy. (And please no more people pointing out to me that America is democracy, I already know that, trust me.)

9. Study the founding fathers. Learn about them, really learn about them. Don't read those authors whose sole goal is destroy the founding fathers and those who sacrificed so dearly to establish this nation. But read authors who can be trusted to give you the straight scoop. Were our founding fathers perfect? Heavens no? Are you?

10. Create a freedom library in your homes starting with a single book and building from there. I began building mine some time ago and actually wrote a blog suggesting a few books for establishing your own libraries. Study American history and learn about this great nation.

These are just a few things you can do to become more politically active and have your voice be heard. Our voices must be raised, for that is the purpose of this nation. We are to elect wise and righteous officials, tough I know, and then make sure they know how we feel. You cannot complain if you will not stand up, be heard and be counted.

I encourage all of you to become active Americans and realize the greatness of the gift given to you as citizens of this great nation.

Return to the Neighborhood.
Becoming Politically Active Becoming Politically Active Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, February 16, 2009 Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. You left a very important book off your list. To be politically active, and understand why America is the greatest nation in the word, you need to read The Wealth of Nations by the very un-French sounding Adam Smith. This explains in precise detail what it is about the American experience that sets us apart from other nations and how our freedoms fuel our economy to outpace the world.

    A must read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.