Convention of Statesmen

ads

Recipe: Mixes vs. Scratch

Something struck me the other day and it was this: Is it possible that this generation has only learned how to mix and bake cakes using mixes?

Several weeks ago I had someone try my Millie's Yellow Cake recipe. She said it tasted really good, but that it fell. Well, that happens sometimes when you bake a cake, so I didn't think much of it. Then I had a little time this weekend, very very little, to think. And it occurred to me that the mix vs. scratch thing could be the problem. So I started asking around: "When you bake cakes, do you bake from scratch or do you use a mix?" Every single woman told me she used mixes.

So, here are some basic about making a cake from scratch.

When baking from scratch always be sure to use quality, fresh ingredients, such as: baking powder or baking soda, both need to not be out of date. that will make a difference as to whether your cake will rise or not.

Always preheat your oven to the correct temperature and be certain to place the cake pans directly in the center of the rack.

The flour you use can make a difference. If you sift it into your mixing bowl, rather than just dumping it, you cake will be a little more airy and fine. It is also best to use cake flour which is milled from soft wheat with lower levels of protein and gluten.

Follow the recipe carefully, measuring everything as written down. Know that the creator of the recipe has already gone through every aspect of it and figured out exactly how much of what should be used. The ONLY time you should adapt a recipe, is if you already know how to adjust it accordingly for your adaptations. This skill only comes with time, experience and failure. But generally, fantastic recipes come through this trial and error part.

Your altitude will make a difference in baking cakes successfully. Highaltitudebaking.com has a fantastic adjustment chart for the specific adjustments which are necessary for a successful recipes.

And one final tip: tread carefully while your cake is baking. If kids run through the kitchen, the cake will fall. If you bump the oven, the cake will fall. If you are slamming cupboards, the cake will fall. Basically, stay out of the kitchen once you put the cake in the oven.

Cake mixes, somehow, simply don't fall as easily. But those cakes which are baked from scratch can do so in the blink of an eye.

So good luck and have fun!

Happy eating.

Return to the Neighborhood.
Recipe: Mixes vs. Scratch Recipe: Mixes vs. Scratch Reviewed by Unknown on Sunday, November 23, 2008 Rating: 5

5 comments:

  1. I think I am one of the few women I know who bakes from scratch too. Fresh ingredients are crucial. Besides really homemade tastes so much better. It's like instant tea or coffee vs. fresh brewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes all the difference, doesn't it Tara.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made a cake from scratch, but I have to say, the other things I make are just so much better and so much healthier than mixes. Scratch is the way to go for more reasons than one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've found the kind of pan I use makes a difference also. My 9-inch rounds do the best. My 9x13 glass dish seems to sink in the middle more often. Better watch out with the home made cakes-now everyone in my extended family expects them. There is a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tips. I really really want to learn to bake for my family even if it ends a disaster most of the time. I fail most of the time, from the cake, to cookies, and the bread that kenj named "stone bread". For that reason and to avoid kitchen disaster, I do use mix from time to time but haven't given up on trying to make a successful home made cake.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.