Convention of Statesmen

ads

Review of Get Smart

I'm covering for my girlfriend, Linda, right now, the yourLDSneighborhood movie reviewer. She's been in the hospital, so Alvin and I headed back over to Festival Cinemas Utah, to watch a movie there for the last time. I'm very sad. I've watched many a movie and BYU football game there. But that's neither here, nor there. We hope Linda recovers quickly and is back to reviewing movies soon.

Alvin really wanted to see Get Smart and I just wasn't as excited about it. Sete had already seen it and said it was very funny, so off we went, the three of us, to watch Get Smart. I laughed so hard, and was still laughing when I left the theater. In fact, I'm laughing as I write this review. There was one particular scene that sent me over the edge, and is still making me laugh. I tried to tell my sister about it and ended up laughing so hard I could barely get the words out.

Here's the movie trailer:



It doesn't even do the movie justice. This is an exceedingly funny movie and a triumph for Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway. Of course, Hollywood always has to throw in a couple of things that simply aren't amusing, but those were kept to a bare minimum and were but seconds long. I do wish Hollywood would decided to simply skip the occasional inserts of crude humor. They weren't necessary at all. It was a well-written script that took me back to my childhood, sitting my living room, watching Get Smart. This was so much funnier than that, but it was a nice trip down memory lane.

From the imdb.com movie database, we grab this full summary (warning, spoiler alert):

Maxwell Smart (Steve Carell) works as an analyst at Control, a U.S. spy agency that was supposed to have closed after KAOS was defeated. However, KAOS is far from being dead. KAOS penetrates Control and steals the names of all their field agents, and they then begin to kill Control agents around the world. The Chief (Alan Arkin) promotes Maxwell Smart, designates him Agent 86, and partners him with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway). Smart has always wanted to be a field agent, but he wanted to be partnered with the best, Agent 23 (Dwayne Johnson). Smart is given a little training and some spy-tech gadgets to help him do his job. Smart and Agent 99 have uncovered information of where Siegfried (Terence Stamp), the sinister head of KAOS is located, and they go after him to stop him from taking over the world. Douglas Young (the-movie-guy)

Also, does not do justice to the movie.

Maxwell Smart is an analyst for Control, the super secret agency created to battle KAOS. That part is true. Max has always wanted to a field agent, but his weight and physical limitations always stood in the way. So year after year he failed the field agent test, until this time. Sadly, his skills as an analyst are far too valuable for him to receive the promotion he'd been longing for. And that's when it all begins . . . KAOS attacks Control and there are only two agents which haven't been compromised. Max, Agent 86 and Agent 99. Funny, funny, funny.

The nice part about this, Max does get to kick a little butt, not just his own. Because he is his own worse enemy. Good action sequences, very funny scenes and lines and a touch of romance.

It is rated PG-13 for some rude humor, action violence and language.

I recommend parents watch this movie first before viewing it with their children. But I do give this movie two thumbs up!

Return to the Neighborhood.

And while you're there subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. Welcome to the yourLDSneighborhood newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world—all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.

LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.
Review of Get Smart Review of Get Smart Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, September 29, 2008 Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. Candace,
    I laughed until I cried. The first time since "Dan in Real Life". Loved it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.