Convention of Statesmen

ads

The Symbolism of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Last week, I dragged my husband and nephew to see Prince Caspian again. I really love that movie. This time I saw a lot more of the symbolism. It was really quite interesting and it rather enriched my viewing of the movie the second time around.



On the way home we picked up a copy of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and I watched it again today. C.S. Lewis was, as I mentioned earlier, the fiercest defender of Christianity in his day. He wrote The Chronicles of Narnia to teach his children about Jesus Christ and the Atonement.

A frozen and tormented Narnia awaits the mighty Azlan, knowing he will come and save the day. Just as the Hebrews waited for Jesus Christ for millennia, Narnia waited for Azlan.

Azlan, as the Christlike figure, is quite amazing. Every word which comes out of his mouth is a teaching of Jesus Christ's in one way or the other.

The White Witch, as the Satan figure, was pleasing and deceitful at the same time. Edmund betrays his family for Turkish sweets, much as Satan tries to deceive us into partaking of the bright and shiny things of the world. Both end in the most tragic of circumstances.

When Azlan speaks with a chastened and repentant Edmund he wipes away the betrayal and orders of it spoken no more. Just as when we repent, Jesus Christ's Atonement allowed for the complete washing away of our sins.

When the White Witch demands justice be met, quoting the Deep Magic as her source, Azlan states: "Do not quote the Deep Magic to me. I was there when it was written." Indeed, our Lord Jesus Christ was with our Father in Heaven when the plans for mortality were made. He is the Jehovah of the Old Testament and the Messiah of the New.

The White Witch is stunning in her wickedness and brazen demands for justice. When Azlan offers himself in place of Edmund we see Jesus Christ offering to stand as our Savior and Redeemer. When the White Witch orders the shorning of Azlan, accompanied by the taunts, mockery and cruelty of the club, we see Jesus Christ in a kangaroo court, His torture, His mockery of a trial before Pontius Pilate and His death on Calvary.

As Lucy and Susan mourn the death of their beloved Azlan we see those who loved Jesus Christ mourning His crucifixion. And after the long, dark night, as the sisters walk away in mourning, the great stone tablet cracked. This represented the rolling away of the stone from the tomb. And as Mary Magdalene was privileged to be the first person to see the resurrected Savior, Susan and Lucy were the first to see the resurrected Azlan.

C.S. Lewis was a literary genius. I have to admit I stand in awe of his writing and his ability to entertain while teaching at the same time. As Jesus Christ was a master at parables, C.S. Lewis was a master at the parable in book form. The Chronicles of Narnia are a masterpiece as are Walden Media's interpretation of the same.

I'm on a Virtual Book Tour for Forged in the Refiner's Fire. It's actually a lot of fun! I've already been over to Tristi Pinkston's and Wendy Elliott's and today I'll be dropping by Jewel's Best Gems, the blog of author, Jewel Adams. Join me over there. Let's see together what she thinks of the book. Post questions and I'll be happy to answer them.
The Symbolism of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe The Symbolism of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, June 09, 2008 Rating: 5

6 comments:

  1. I have the same set of Chronicles that my mother bought me when I was a child. They have been read so many times that several of them have pages falling out. They've been taped back together, the pages are dogeared and the edges are so dark you can't tell that the pages used to be white.

    C.S. Lewis is my greatest inspiration in writing - not just the Narnia series, the the Screwtape Letters as well. He is one who I would like to sit at his feet and learn from. Someday, after this life, if there's still a need for writers, I hope to have that privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it, but I loved the movie - can't stand C.S. Lewis' books. (I can hear Candace's gasp from all the out here in KS!)

    I do like the symbolism though. Great post, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Chronicles of Narnia and I also loved the Screwtape Letters. Lewis was a genius, there's not a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chronicles is my favorite set of books.

    I also have a special attachment to it. We did a play on 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," and I played the witch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Danyelle. My gasp was pretty loud. Ha, ha.

    I simply adore these movies. My favorite book of C.S. Lewis is "Mere Christianity. I admire this man tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up on these books and have read them to my kids I love them. I love the movies too. I let the kids watch the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe on Sunday, because of the meaning. I am surprised that so many people don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.