Convention of Statesmen

ads

Update on Alvin

Hi Everyone,

This isn't Candace . . . this is Tristi, so forgive me if I'm a bit vague. I just got off the phone with Candace up at the Murray hospital and she asked me to come online and give you all an update so you know how Alvin is doing. The Internet at the hospital isn't working, so she's a bit out of contact with Blogland right now.

Alvin was in surgery for 6 1/2 hours, and Candace didn't get to see him until nine o'clock on Tuesday night. When she did, however, she says she was amazed at the difference, and the changes that are still occurring even now. His eyes are bright and no longer bloodshot. His skin is returning to a normal, healthy brown - it had been turning black in some areas. His tummy is gone, thanks to the tummy tuck. The kidney started to work as soon as it was in place -- and, I hope Candace (and Alvin) don't mind a direct quote, but she says "he's peeing up a storm." His attitude is great and he's been laughing and joking, sitting up and visiting. He's in quite a bit of pain from the tummy tuck, but he's gone off the pain medications and is dealing with it.

His donor, Tara, is feeling pretty rotten. She's in pain and has been throwing up. I can't imagine throwing up with an incision like that -- must be so painful. Candace says, "She gave Alvin this incredible gift of life but now she's paying a horrible price for it." I can't help but feel that Tara's sacrifice will be rewarded a thousandfold.

Candace says they're going to be releasing Alvin either Saturday or Monday. "You will not believe the difference when you see him," she says.

Many other things happened on the way to surgery, and Candace will give you a full update when she returns. In the meantime, if anything else happens, she'll call me and I'll come break into her Blogger account again.
Update on Alvin Update on Alvin Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, April 17, 2008 Rating: 5

19 comments:

  1. Candace and Alvin, I'm so happy for you. It sounds as if a miracle has definitely been given to you via a very unselfish young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing and happy news, Candace-via-Tristi. Say hello to Alvin from the Bradshaws. We're grateful for the miracles happening in your lives.

    Our prayers continue for the heroic young lady who donated. What a blessing she has been to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear this. My seminary class has joined in praying for Alvin and Tara, and they ask every day how they are both doing. I'm glad to be able to give them an update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great relief! Thanks for the update. I hope Tara feels much better soon. I'm so glad that Alvin's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace and Alvin- it is so good to hear good news. My prayers will be with Tara for a speedy return to normalcy for her and continued regaining of health for Alvin. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that things went well with Alvin. We'll keep him and Tara in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! This is terrific news. Here's to a new kidney. Too bad for Tara. I hope things turn a corner for her soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear everything went well. Let Candace know that our prayers are with her and Alvin and Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the update. My whole family has been praying for both Alvin and Tara! I'm so glad all turned out well. You guys are great and Tara . . . wow! Her selflessness humbles me in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awh, glad to hear he is doing better. and peeing up a storm, too! that's awesome (and so cute how fun tristi said that, too).

    blessings, kathleen xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Tristi for the update.
    We will keep the Prayers coming for both Alvin and Tara.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart is so full of gratitude and relief that Alvin is doing so well. I'm so grateful for the tender mercies of our Heavenly Father, and of his constant loving care of us. I hope it continues to go well for him.

    Poor Tara! I'll be praying for her quick recovery. The Lord bless her for her service and sacrifice.

    Tristi, thanks for breaking into Candace's account and letting us know the news! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad for the update, prayers and hugs coming your way. Can't wait to see the new Alvin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to hear that things are going so well for Alvin and hope that Tara is soon feeling better. She deserves it and so much more...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray! So glad things are goig well. I'll continue to keep Alvin and Tara in my prayers.
    In the meantime I thought Alvin might like something to do inbetween trips to the bathroom. I tagged him on your blog so he could share a few things about himself with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tristi,
    Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering all week, knowing that Candace probably would have a hard time letting us know.
    It is great that Alvin is doing well. I will keep praying for him and Tara. What a story. I'm sure it belongs in Candace's next Forged book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for letting Tristi update for you, Candace. And thank you Tristi!

    I've been anxious to read what's happening. I fasted for ALvin and Tara, as may of others did, and I feel so relieved and happy for these two. I really hope Tara feels better soon.

    ((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad Alvin's doing better. We watched a similar miracle with a young man in our ward. It really is amazing how quickly health improves with a functioning kidney.

    Maybe someone could get a copy of John Bytheway's DVD, "What's in your backpack?" for Tara. He talks (in his very humorous way) about his rather painful experience donating a kidney to his brother. And, of course, he brings it around to a very powerful, spiritual, uplifting message.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I happy to hear that all went well. Yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.