Convention of Statesmen

ads

This and That . . . .

Have any of you ever been in a discussion with someone so convinced they are smarter than you, more educated than you, even better than you? See, I just finished an email conversation with someone like that. Yeah, I was ready to scream! I don't really understand people like that. They know stuff I don't know and I know stuff they don't know. They are better at some things and I am better at others. That is one of the key principles of life that I think every single blessed person on the planet needs to understand.

We're all the best at something.

Maybe your gift or talent is that of listening. Do you know how powerful that is? Being listened to and actually heard, is an astounding feeling that will most often resolve the problem before you're even finished explaining it. That's because you really listened. That' s huge!

Maybe your gift is football. It's an amazing experience to be on the football field, part of a team of 11 who, with their collaborative effort, can bring a win to the home crowd. Yes, I'm still all giddy about BYU beating the U last week . . . will be for awhile. Get used to it.

Maybe your gift is writing. The power of the written word is beyond explanation. To me, and yes, I am a writer, a well written turn of phrase, sentence or paragraph will literally stop me in my tracks and I appreciate and ponder the beauty of those words. I love the written word, and those who have mastered it are those I wish to emulate.

Maybe your gift is teaching. Being able to help another understand a key principle is huge. The ability to teach and truly connect with each student is a gift to be greatly prized.

Maybe your gift is charity. Now how huge is that one? The ability to love others with a Christlike love and act upon it . . . oh yeah, that's huge.

A PhD doesn't make you any smarter or better, it gives you letters after your name and hopefully some skill and education in the chosen field. It doesn't make you better than anyone else.

I know lots of people who can do lots of things, some well, some amazingly well and some absolutely stupendous! Know what? I value every one of you for everything you do . . . because one of the best things my friends in Blogland do . . . is make me smile!

Blogs written at http://LDSBlogs.com

Hymns Chase the Darkness Away
Young Joseph Defends a Stranger
Julie B. Beck: Leader of Mormon Women
David O. McKay: No Success Can Compensate
Joseph Smith Jr: God the Eternal Father
Russell M. Nelson: Doctor, Surgeon, Living Apostle
This and That . . . . This and That . . . . Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, November 30, 2007 Rating: 5

12 comments:

  1. I, too, really hate the game of one-upmanship. I'm more than willing to admit when I don't know something, but it sure bugs me when I'm not given credit for something I do know. And it really, really bugs me when, like you say, someone wants to be right about everything. It makes me wonder what their childhood was like . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully said candace. i especially like what you said about the written word. amen sister. i love that, too, when something is phrased in such an amazing way that it just moves you. g'day, kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen my dear!
    You are so much better with words than I am...
    I'm a better listener...
    You are such a great teacher...
    I'm a pretty good student...
    You're great on the computer...
    I'm good at re-decorating your entire house & garden... ;0)
    The best relationships are the ones where you complete each other.
    Don't we just make a perfect team?
    Love ya!
    Marja X

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that how your friend said, " ... The best relationships are the ones where you complete each other ... " very cool! :) kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I whole-heartedly agree Candace! I'm sorry you had to experience that frustrating conversation, but at least you're not alone in your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marja, are you going to redecorate Candace's house? Come see me when you're done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tristi - you're nicer than me. I was thinking a nice smack to the face might rectify the situation.

    Kathleen - The written word can bring me to tears. And yes, the best friends do complete each other, without question.

    Marja - you're too cool. And yes, we do complete each other and I look forward to the day when you can come and redo my house. Tristi lives right over my backyard fence so she can peek over (or walk straight through as the stupid thing fell down just before I left) and watch in breathless delight as you transfer my humble home into a thing of beauty.

    Ali - you're just TOO COOL!

    My friends, I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. candace -- you're funny (about the nice little smack to the face!) ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you too!
    Oh, and while I'm at it, I'll fix that stupid fence of yours as well!
    Hey, I'm cool! LOL
    X

    Tristi, you never know! ;)
    Might come see both of you someday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathleen - it was my initial reaction, what can I say. Kind of a smack to the face and a "snap out of it!"

    Marja - fix my fence too? How cool would that be. Sadly, I think I'll be out there Wednesday, after I get back from Reno, by myself, trying to figure out to put back the six foot plus high, easily six to eight feet wide stupid panel that fell down. Arrrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candace -- I would've done the same thing :). Looky here, I am writing you with big and little letters. Tee hee. Just for you hon. Happy Sabbath to you and Alvin your hunk, Kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathleen - Big and little letters, just for me. I feel privileged! Thanks and I'm going to call Alvin as soon as Linda wakes up. I want to talk to him because I miss him, but Linda's asleep and I don't want to wake her up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.