Convention of Statesmen

ads

Jeffress: Newly Crowned King of Schmuckdom!

I know, second post of the day. I couldn't help it . . . I had to.

This morning, as I was driving to Brigham City, I was listening to the radio. Over and over, I heard a preacher out of Dallas, Texas (Dr. Robert Jeffers) say over and over and over,

"Mormons are not Christians. Mitt Romney can say Jesus Christ is his Lord and Redeemer but that doesn't make him a Christian. Mormonism is a cult. They are not Christians."

He made me want to puke that such ignorance and hate still exists against Latter-day Saints. Let me just include, right here, the ignorance that he pushed across the pulpit:

A prominent Dallas minister told his congregation that if they wanted to elect a Christian to the White House, Republican Mitt Romney wasn't qualified.

Dr. Robert Jeffress, pastor of First Baptist Church of Dallas, said that Mormonism is a false religion and that Mr. Romney was not a Christian.

"Mitt Romney is a Mormon, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise," Dr. Jeffress said in a sermon Sept. 30. "Even though he talks about Jesus as his Lord and savior, he is not a Christian. Mormonism is not Christianity. Mormonism is a cult."

Some in the large crowd began to applaud as Dr. Jeffress continued with his remarks.

"What really distresses me is some of my ministerial friends and even leaders in our convention are saying, 'Oh, well, he talks about Jesus, we talk about Jesus. What's the big deal?' " he said. "It is a big deal if anybody names another way to be saved except through Jesus Christ."

Source: Dallas Morning News

Let me just point out a few things out here:

1. "By the fruits of their labors ye shall know them . . ." Jesus Christ said that. At no time, place or in any country will you find a Latter-day Saint bishop, stake president, general authority, apostle or prophet stand at the pulpit and attack another religion. Never!

And yet, these "ministers" of God stand at their pulpits and preach lies and hate. We can say we are Christians until we're blue in the face, ignorance stands in the way of "Mormon-haters" hearing those words. Who is living the Christ-like life? The spewers of hate and venom, or those who attend church, worship Jesus Christ, attempt to live Christ-like lives, live by our words and faith and support the world in their tragedies as best we can by providing food, clothing and medical supplies to those in need?

2. The name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Not the Mormon church, that name was given to us by the detractors and persecutors who broke the most heinous laws in the new nation as they drove Americans from state to state because they didn't like their religion. They committed acts of torture, rape, plunder and murder across the eastern portion of the United States. Mormons, as we were called by that time, had to leave the United States to gain some protection and peace. All because we lived our lives and taught our religion according to the gospel restored by Jesus Christ in the New Testament, rather than the ones twisted, turned and corrupted by evil men.

3. We believe in the God of the New Testament. A resurrected and glorified Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Messiah, the Prince of Peace. He is the God of this world. Where we run into trouble with other religions is that we do not believe it was an act of ventriloquism when He was baptized and the people heard, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased." We do not believe Jesus Christ was praying to Himself when He offered the Lord's Prayer. Nor do we believe that Jesus Christ was praying to Himself when suffering so painfully in the Garden of Gethsemane, "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." -- Luke 22:42.

So we do not believe in an ethereal god that drifts in the atmosphere of the universe. We believe in the God written of in the New Testament. Why shouldn't we? He is so clearly described in the Holy Bible.

4. We make solemn covenants in our temples, which are dedicated houses of the Lord, yes - Jesus Christ. These covenants are made to the Lord, not to some fly-by-night preacher who is attempting to grab his moment of fame. We take these covenants seriously and attempt to live our lives according to the dictates of our consciences and guidelines set out by Jesus Christ.

I could go on and on, and likely would if I had more time. Let me just say, we not only say we are Christian, we live our lives as Christians. We follow the admonition of Christ to "Love our neighbors as ourselves" and to "Love the Lord thy God."

I have to admit, I'm fed up to my eyeballs with these purveyors of hate using a religious pulpit to push their agendas. I'm trying to feel the love right now and I'm not being very successful. Good thing I have a long drive ahead of me, it'll give me a chance to calm down.

In the meantime, why don't we listen to the words of a living prophet of God, Gordon B. Hinckley.



And there is love, truth and worship of Jesus Christ as it should be.

The love I have for my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, knows no bounds. All that I do in my life is shaped and colored by my testimony of the Living God. The choices in my life are centered about the knowledge that He does live, He is God, He is the life and the way. By no other way can mankind be redeemed, than by Jesus Christ. This we believe. This we know.

Someone pounding the pulpit and repeating lie after lie cannot make it any less true. For truth is eternal and it is inviolate. Jesus Christ is God and He does live.
Jeffress: Newly Crowned King of Schmuckdom! Jeffress: Newly Crowned King of Schmuckdom! Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, October 19, 2007 Rating: 5

17 comments:

  1. Well said. Those who say we don't believe in Jesus Christ have obviously never given any serious time to learning what the religion is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie. I don't know when the idiots will ever learn. I guess when the Savior appears, they come before Him and have to explain why they made it their life's mission to attack His church. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitt’s church, the Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) has been often misunderstood by Evangelical preachers in the past . . Some accused the Church of not believing in Christ and, therefore, not being a Christian religion . .

    http://MormonsAreChristian.blogspot.com/ helps to clarify such misconceptions by examining early (First Century) Christianity's theology relating to baptism, the Godhead, the deity of Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Mitt’s church believes in the Jesus of the New Testament, who prayed to his Father in Heaven in the Garden of Gethsemane, not the Jesus portrayed in the creeds of the 4th Century.

    The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) adheres to Early Christian (New Testament) theology more closely than other Christian denominations. . Perhaps the reason Evangelical preachers promoted this mis-representation was to protect their flock (and their livlihood). It is encouraging to note that Evangelical preachers appear now to have a moral and competent president as a priority..

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen sister! since i choose this church in may 2005, i have been impressed how i have never heard a church authority BASH another religion. i find it odd and suspicious that some others have to resort to bashing ours. makes me think ... why can't you stand for good? why can't you rise above? why do you have to stoop to such vile low tactics? Christ would not want you or anybody to do this? why do you feel you have to do this bad tactic to win someone over?

    well said. i read something recently that has stuck with me. you learn a lot more about a person by what they say about others than just what they say about themselves. i'd share a church pew with you any day girl. blessings, kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this sort of thing so exhausting. It just drains the life right out of me. I am the only member in my family and as such have run into a lot of misinformation. After all these years they still call me up, after having 'gotten into it' with their various religious leaders (my siblings are jewish, buddhist, and presbyterian) and ask "do you believe in Christ?" Argh. How many times do I have to tell them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am frustrated as well with those who make it their mission to educate, yet are so uneducated themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladies - no question that this is a frustrating phenomena. The amazing thing is people continue to following, drink the milk of hatred as if it were honey from the gods. They never realize the word of God is taught . . . only the hatred of Satan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh good comment candace just then!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl!!! =) Tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the kind of thing that has always driven me crazy--you just don't want to get me started on this subject, so I'm glad you said it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well put Candace. Like others have said, I also find this type of stuff exausting and frustrating. It seems many times we are talking to deaf ears.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! Well said. Arrgh to those who TRY to frustrate the work of the Lord... He will prevail, we must persevere. Like you said '..by their fruits..' Let's be sure our 'fruits' show our religion, huh? You are an excellent example, Candace, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Candace! I know I've said it before, but you're so eloquent in stating how I feel! I just finished reading the fourth book in the Fairhaven Chronicles which is a fiction book written by an LDS author whose name I can't for the life of me remember, and I'm too lazy to go look - anyway, I just read the book yesterday and they were dealing with this very topic in their little fictional town. I get so angry when I hear people say we're not Christian. It's so hard to be Christ-like and not bash right back at them. Thank you again for your testimony, it lifts me up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ladies,

    I don't know what more we can do but to continue living our lives according to the dictates of the Savior, continue to bear our testimonies when the opportunity avails us and to raise our families up unto righteousness and the Lord.

    In my hometown, every spring, regular as clockwork, the local (will not name the denomination) church played at anti-Mormon film. And every year, there would be a rise in hate and violence. It was disgusting, because they were supposedly ministers of Christ, and yet again, doling out hate as if it were candy on Halloween night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, even these so ridiculous attacks will help spread the word. Once my Granddad met a couple who were just baptized and asked about their conversion. They had heard some propaganda that we were Satan worshippers and they thought that was odd that a Satanic cult would name themselves the Church of Jesus Christ, so they called the church, had missionaries over, and found out why. I don't personally mind being called a cult because if you read Acts, those guys sound like most people's definition of a cult, so maybe that's not a bad thing... :) All we can do is be more Christlike. He is at the heart of everything I believe. I'm enjoying your books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shellie - good point. Thanks for shedding a different viewpoint on that. I'm glad you're enjoying my books. Make me feel warm and fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    You don't know me. I saw your post on Rick's site and noticed you were LDS, so I checked out your blog.

    First of all, thanks for the list of blogs on your sidebar. I knew there had to be some popular LDS blogs out there, but wasn't sure how to find them.

    Second of all, judging by this post, you probably appreciated Elder Holland's talk at this last General Conference. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.