Convention of Statesmen

ads

A Day in Idaho

So I'm back, earlier than I expected. I headed up to Rigby, Idaho on Thursday, thinking I would be the lone person helping my friend move into her new house. Schedules were such that it sounded to me like she was going to be alone. So I hopped in my truck and drove northward.

The hills were much more vibrant than this, but you get the idea. It was a gorgeous drive. As I drove higher and higher peace invaded my spirit and my body began to relax. By the time I arrived at my friend's house I was still in pain (I injured my back earlier) but quite content. When I arrived, her husband, children, one child's spouse and the elders quorum were all working madly to get the truck unloaded. So I pretty much stayed out of the way and just gave Linda the moral support she needed. I was the queen of carrying blankets and single items.

By nightfall, the truck was completely unpacked and the elders quorum was gone. We piled in the cars and headed over to Bambino, a pizza place everyone recommended. Sadly, they were done seating people for the night (it was 8:30) and we were left with having to take pizza back to the house. Pretty sure I'll never be going back there. Customer service not really high on their list of priorities.

Did I mention that the house was inundated with spiders? Have I mentioned how much I HATE SPIDERS! Ugh. Sweet little Sariah (13 years old and a phenomenal artist) killed bugs and vacuumed her room within an inch of its life so that I could sleep in a bug free room for the night. Never underestimate the power of a writer's imagination in a situation like that. It was a long, long night. Come morning, I had two girls and a dog sitting on my bad chattering away while I smiled and stared blearily around me looking for the bugs that had been scattered throughout my dreams.

After awhile, I gave everyone tasks and sent them on their way. Now the day gets better, for me anyway. We decided to hit IHOP in Idaho Falls for breakfast.

I have a big brother, Jay, who lives in Idaho Falls. He's really smart. He's an expert on terrorism. He's my oldest brother. I love him. I called him for directions and I followed them to a "T." Sariah and I ended up in the foothills on a gravel road. The drive had been interspersed with numerous phone calls to my infallible big brother and I heard, "trust me, Candace. You're on the right road." Note to self: Ammon Road is NOT the right road. Hitt Road IS the right road." Finally, Jay decided to come retrieve the two of us when he realized he forgot to tell us to turn. He told me to stay put. I didn't. The next phone call was "You didn't stay put! You just shot past me!" I told him to turn around and come find me. He did.

Here's what I found on my meanderings around the back road, excuse me, wrong road, to IHOP in Idaho Falls. Lots and lots and lots of weeping willow trees. A new furniture yard sale (wishing I had more money for that. Called my friend and told her to come because when they moved from North Dakota they didn't bring a couch, table or chairs. She was waiting at IHOP and didn't want to leave.)

Then Sariah asked me what something was. It as a road sign full of holes. I shrugged and it somebody had shot it multiple times. The look on her face was priceless. I told her it was bored farm boys and there was no danger. I don't think she believed me.

I saw horses and cows and dogs and lots and lots and lots of farm land. Yes, I was calling my brother every five minutes. "Jay, this really doesn't look like Idaho Falls."

Anyway, we finally made it to IHOP and had a wonderful breakfast. I was able to spend some quality time with my brother, my friend and her family. Then everyone went their separate ways and I headed up to Rexburg to have lunch with our missionary son (translation: young man who served in a mission in Orem and we became so close to it was as if he were our son) at Craigos. Can you say PIZZA BOMB! Loved it! It was delicious and it was great to spend that time with Arthur.

This is a picture of him while he was on his mission. He really likes nice cars. Bet you couldn't guess. I really love that young man, as does Alvin. He's a phenomenal person and makes me long for daughters. And yes, ladies, if you have adorable, sweet daughters, he's free.

After lunch he showed me around BYU-Idaho. Sheesh, that campus has really changed. It's still as beautiful as ever, but there wasn't much that was familiar. I picked up at BYU-Idaho zip up hoodie and then we headed over to Arthur's apartment to pick up his roommates and it was back to Rigby.

Arthur and his roommates help Linda organize her food storage room and they did it in no time at all. My back and I were VERY, VERY, VERY grateful.

By 4:00 p.m. I was back on the road and on my way home. And I'm very glad to be home and looking forward to BYU and my boys kicking some Lobo butt! Go Cougars!

A Day in Idaho A Day in Idaho Reviewed by Unknown on Saturday, September 29, 2007 Rating: 5

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip. Sorry about the getting lost -- but I want to go on record -- I didn't do it this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that in life as well as on trips, sometimes the most memorable and educational adventures come from having been lost.

    Glad you made it home safe.

    GO COOGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tristi - it was a fun time getting lost. I love driving through farm country. And yes, this time you had nothing to do with it! It was my brother!

    iZing - Oh yeah. Air Force just lost to Navy. U of U is beating Utah State, one quarter left and BYU takes on New Mexico at 6:30. Go Cougars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And BYU is actually on TV!!! All the complaining everyone has been doing has been helping! Go BLUE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace, you saw the new furniture garage sale? You were just east of my old high school and a couple of miles west of Iona, where I grew up. Iona is Idaho's version of Zion. I'm only an hour north, but I don't get down there as often as I would like, meaning on a daily, possibly permanent basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun filled trip. I love the Idaho Falls area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen - I even heard that Senators Hatch and Bennett are annoyed with Comcast as well. Hopefully everyone will continue to complain and things will be straightened out soon. Go Cougs! We won tonight!

    Marta - wow, I wish I'd known you were so close. I would have found time to spend a little with with you.

    Stephanie - it was a fun 24 hours. I really enjoyed it. I'm going to try and get back up there in the next couple of months to visit Linda. She's my high school buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi candace:
    i love people like your elder son -- people who feel like part of your family because you are so used to them.

    i would fight off spiders for you and day candace. i am not afraid of them and the family calls on me to remove them anytime the creatures are in. i don't kill them, i just pick them up carefully in a tissue so as not to kill them, and place them outside where they can continue on their life's journey.

    fun post. you are a good friend to your people, kathleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleen -- thanks, you're my hero! I really hate bugs and spiders . . . a whole lot! I prefer to deal with them with a flame thrower, but to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. but your flame thrower would trash your furniture.

    but, hey, then you could go back to the furniture garage sale. ha!

    happy Sabbath,
    kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss Pizza Bombs. I loved living in Rexburg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would trash my furniture. In fact, if I had a flame thrower right now the vaulted ceiling of my living room would be treated to it, as would the exterior of my front door!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pizza bombs completely rock! It was heaven on earth to have one the other day. I'm going back up in a couple of weeks, you can join me if you want. We'll hit Craigos together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wait -- day trip. We could up, eat lunch at Craigos and be back by late night! How hysterical would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, you could have still made it to IHOP's via Ammon road... you just have to know the way! *LOL*

    Next time I have a hankering for Craigo's, I'm so trying a pizza bomb.

    However, next time you are up there in Rigby, try a Bambino from LaPizzeria! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.