Convention of Statesmen

ads

Life without Sons and Daughters

Today I've been browsing around the internet looking at all the different blogsites. It's a great thing to find a new one and then check out all their links. As I was doing that very thing today I came across a blog on infertility. While this is not something I talk or write about often, it is indeed a topic that is very near and dear to my heart.

My husband and I married late in life, not on purpose, that's just the way it worked out. I was almost 32 when we married and we began to start our family right away. We both come from very large families and we wanted a large family of our own. We decided we didn't have any time to waste if we wanted more than 2 or 3 children.

After eight miscarriages in eight years, it was simply too much for me. I could no longer physically, emotionally or spiritually handle miscarriage after miscarriage. My husband and I discussed, prayed over it and made the decision to stop trying. It was heartbreaking because adoption was not an option for us (my husband has kidney failure.)

That, however, is not the point. Throughout those years, my sister (Heather) and her husband (Aaron) had children. Connor, then Stormy followed by Brigham, and then came along Skye and finally sweet baby Elias. As each of these children came into our lives Heather and Aaron generously shared their children with us. If I began to miscarry I would call her and she would respond with "I'll be right over with the babies."

The babies healed us. Without question, those sweet children would throw their arms around my husband and me and kiss us and whisper "I love you, Auntie and Uncle." And they would stay with us until the tears were gone.

Sweet Connor, who you see to the left, has labeled himself my protector, even from the early age you see here. (He's almost ten now.)

I was on bedrest again, with yet another pregnancy, and Connor was cuddled up with me on my bed. We were watching his favorite movie, Galaxy Quest, and enjoying ourselves immensely. There was one part, when the cute little aliens turn into scary monsters and indulge in cannibalistic behavior, which I knew scared him. So as that part was coming up, I cuddled him close and said, "Connor, here comes the part that scares me." He jumped up into a crouch, spread his arms and said in his two-year-old-voice, "I'll protect you, Auntie." Any wonder that my heart melted right on the spot?

Over the years these children have continued to heal us every possible way until we have come to love them as if they were our own.

What is my point you ask? While life may have dealt us a hand we were not expecting, we can certainly turn it into aces high if we open our hearts to those around us. There's no question we help my sister when we take her kids for a couple of days. But, there is also no question that these times are treasured by Alvin and me. We love having those children around.

So while we remain without children of our own, we are not childless. And this is a blessing Heavenly Father has given that can never be counted in value, because it is priceless.
Life without Sons and Daughters Life without Sons and Daughters Reviewed by Unknown on Saturday, July 21, 2007 Rating: 5

11 comments:

  1. Candace

    What a beautifully written post!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. Come back anytime...you're always welcome.

    I decided to visit your blog and I'm glad I did. I've only read this one post and wanted to comment, so now I'm going back to read some more.

    Thanks.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blessed you are to have such a wonderful family, Candace. There's a divine reason that God gives us brothers and sisters to see us through the trials we go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Kat. You really touched my heart with your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to echo that sentiment, Tristi. I don't know that I could survive the trials and tragedies of life with the family and friends that surround me, of which you are one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace, this was a beautiful post! I'm all teary, about what you and Alvin endured for all those years, and how you have been blessed and are a BLESSING! to your sister! You have a lovely blog, and I can't wait to come back and read some more. I added you to my links:)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lieverd!
    Yes, that is a beautiful post!
    After all you and Alvin have been through all these years, you can still find a lot of love in your heart to give to the children in your family. You, and the children are very blessed to have each other.
    Love,
    Marja X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen and Marja,

    Thank you for your kind comments. While that time in our live was wrought with emotion and upheaval, we came through it stronger and more united than ever. I am truly blessed in the astounding husband that I have. He's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having no children of own is quite frankly, a downer. After Candace's eighth and last miscarriage, she approached me, fell into my arms crying and said through her tears, "Honey I'm sorry I killed our babies." What do you do when your companion says something like that? I think I was in shock by what she said. All I could do was hold her, tell her how much I love her and assure her I was there for her no matter what. I am so glad those days have past.

    As Candace wrote in her blog, the love of her sister and her husband in allowing us to be a part of their children's lives has helped bring peace into our home. I am thankful to them for that.

    I am not much of a writer, so I will end my reply here. I am so blessed to have Candace in my life. Everyone needs a champion and she is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't my husband the greatest? I don't remember saying those words to my husband, but I remember feeling like my body was not allowing our children to grow and be born and was ending every pregnancy early, without my permission, I might add.

    I love my husband, he is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got to know Candace and Alvin back in college. Candace was like my older sister - she took care of me. Alvin was one of the "local" brothers.

    One thing I know about these two is that they are great people. The love they have for others is tremendous. I wish my children would have had the opportunity to be raised around them.

    I also know they WILL be great parents. Yes, their day will come. Our Heavenly Father wouldn't create such great parents and not give them any children. There is a reason it is not at this time, but Candace & Alvin prepare, the day will come.

    If you need any help with what not to do, let me know!

    Love you guys! Miss you, too.

    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Duane, my old college buddy. I hope all is going well in Hawaii.

    BYU, those were the good ol' days weren't they? And yes, Alvin and I know that one day we will get to have and raise every one of those children we lost to miscarriage. It is the thing that carries us through. Thank you for pointing it out.

    Love you!
    Candace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.