Convention of Statesmen

ads

Hand to Heart

Too often I see and hear The Star Spangled Banner being played at sporting events and yet, no one has their hand over their hearts. I don't question the fans and players patriotism, by any means. But it is a sad day to see the reverence and love for America fading in a long held tradition such as when we hear our national anthem played.

I'd like you to watch this 8-minute video by David Barton describing the history surrounding The Star Spangled Banner and the American flag.


Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light 
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming? 
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight, 
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming? 
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, 
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. 
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave 
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Federal law dictates that all Americans should hold their hands over their hearts while the national anthem is being played, and the American flag displayed. But for me, it has never been about federal law. When I place my hand over my heart while the stunning anthem is played, I do so because of an express gratitude for the following:
  1. For those who gave their lives to preserve this nation and our freedom, and continue fighting that battle today.
  2. For those who fight the daily battle providing food for our ever growing nation: America's heartland, the farms and ranches of the West, and the plentiful farms of the West Coast.
  3. For those who fight the battle every day educating our nation to the true history of our founding.
  4. For the Founding Fathers who gave of their of their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to present to the American people the U.S. Constitution, a republic form of government that would protect our freedoms if we but upheld it.
  5. For those who fled Europe and the Balkans in search of religion freedom, for these are they who planted the seeds that birthed a nation.
I find myself greatly saddened when I see such disrespect for our flag and our anthem. America was founded on the principles of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. In those three things promised the American people, we found the system of free enterprise which allowed our nation to grow and flourish. In war after war, Americans fought for the freedom of America and other nations. And although the history of America is not flawless, it is one by which we can stand proud. And for this, I place my hand over my heart when the America flag is raised and The Star Spangled Banner is played.

This version of The Star Spangled Banner is of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the national anthem at the opening ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics. President George W. Bush and Gov. Mitt Romney stand with their hands on their hearts as this stunning rendition is sung by America's choir.


May God bless this great nation as the last best hope of the earth, the United States of America.


Copyright 2011. All rights reserved by Candace E. Salima.

Hand to Heart Hand to Heart Reviewed by Unknown on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 Rating: 5

No comments:

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.