Convention of Statesmen

ads

Review: The Forgotten Warrior

Life has been a little crazy lately. Two full-time jobs, working on a major project, rehearsal for my "Mama Mia" debut, reading the finalists for the Whitney Awards, preparing for the class I'm teaching and the panel I'll be on for the 6th Annual LDS Storymakers Writers Conference - The Success Within You, life ... all of it. In the midst of all that I forgot that I'd promised to review The Forgotten Warrior by Kathi Oram Peterson, published by Covenant Communications. Color me exceedingly sheepish.

So when I got home last night, I curled up on the couch, opened Kathi's book and began to read. Wow! The woman can write. Immediately I was caught in the astonishing adventures of Sydney Morgan, a teenager forced to face some very serious trials, not the least of which is being transported back in time, away from her hospitalized and very sick mother, to the time of the Stripling Warriors and Captain Helaman.

Sydney Morgan is no wimp. A black bet in karate, her defensive moves help keep her tough even when her mom is diagnosed with cancer and her long-last dad shows up to play nice guy. But when an unexpect gift transports her through space and time to the land of Zarahemla, Syd just might be in over her head. Accused of being a spy, she has to prove she's not a threat to the locals -- including Captain Helaman himself! As war quickly approaches, Helaman calls upon Syd to help his stripling warriors prepare to fight. Torn between concern for her family and for her new friends, Syd musters her wits, strength and faith to face the coming battle -- but her feelings for chief warrior Tarik put her heart on the line. Who will survive the Lamanites' fierce onslaught? And will Syd ever make it home again?

Now, I'm not going to tell everything that went down in the story, you have to buy the book for that. But I can assure you of this, you won't put it down. I'm tired, really tired and overworked and I couldn't put it down. I'm writing this review at 10:45 on the 17th of March, although you're not reading this until the 18th. You want this book, it's a great addition to your home library.

Let me say this, Kathi Oram Peterson does a fantastic job of bringing the story of the Stripling Warriors to life. The trials Syd faces in Book of Mormon times help her to come to a better understanding of what is going on with her mother. In the meantime, she has to fight, hand and foot (pun intended), to survive Book of Mormon times.

So here's the question. Do you know the story of the Stripling Warriors? Do you remember how not one was lost? But what happens if someone shows up from the future and changes the mix? What would happen then?

You have to read Forgotten Warrior by Kathi Oram Peterson to find out. I give this book a serious double thumbs up!
Review: The Forgotten Warrior Review: The Forgotten Warrior Reviewed by Unknown on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 Rating: 5

4 comments:

  1. Candace, thank you for reading and reviewing my book especially with your busy schedule. The Stripling Warriors were awesome heroes! It was an honor to write about these brave young men and their story of courage and faith. Thanks for again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, Kathi. It was a fun read and I enjoyed it immensely. Can't wait for the next one! There must be a next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too thoroughly enjoyed this book, as did the rest of my family. We read it while on a road trip, and it really helped the time pass quickly. Great review Candace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! I can't wait for the next book to come out. I am so excited. Does Desert Book have a waiting list or a pre-order list for the second book?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.