Convention of Statesmen

ads

Recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie

One of my favorite parts of our Thanksgiving meal is my mom's lemon meringue pie. I've fiddled with the recipe over the years and have mastered it!

I'm not fond of the overly sweet lemon pies, nor am I fond of the lemon pies that cause your lips to pucker and a zing to go through your jaw.

So grab your ingredients, measure the bigger amounts into separate containers, trust me on that one, and let's make the best lemon pie on the face of the planet. At least in my opinion!

I LOVE this pie!






Lemon Meringue Pie
Makes 2 Deep Dish Pies

3 1/2 cups Sugar
21 T. Cornstarch
4 1/2 cups Water

9 Beaten Egg Yolks
3 Dashes Salt

3 t. Grated Lemon Peel (make sure you have thoroughly washed the lemon first.)
6 T. Butter
1 1/4 c. Lemon Juice (squeezed from fresh lemons, or from Real brand lemon juice.)

Bake two pie shells (I'm a terrible pie crust maker, so I simply buy the frozen ones at the store) until golden brown. Don't forget to poke holes in the crust before cooking.

Separate 9 eggs, egg white in one bowl, egg yolks in the other. Beat the egg yolks and set aside.

Cook sugar, cornstarch and water until thick. Continuously stir the mixture until it thickens and turns an opaque clear color.

Add in egg yolks, quickly stirring into mixture.
Add 3 dashes of salt.
Add in lemon peel, butter and lemon juice.

Stir well until thoroughly mixed and let cool for 15 minutes.

Pour into pie shells and let cool completely.

To make the meringue:

9 Egg Whites
1 t. Lemon Juice
18 T. Sugar

Whip egg whites until peaks begin to form
Slowly add in sugar, beating the egg whites all the time.
Add lemon juice and whip until peaks form and stiffen.

Put meringue on pies and form peaks with a spoon.

Place pies in preheated oven (450 degrees) for 1 minute or until tips of peaks turn golden brown. Remove from oven and chill for two hours.

Happy eating!

Return to the Neighborhood.
Recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe: Lemon Meringue Pie Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, November 28, 2008 Rating: 5

6 comments:

  1. This sounds very good, but do you really use 21 Tablespoons of cornstarch in this recipe? That seems like quite a lot. I make banana and coconut cream pies from scratch using my Mom's recipe, and it calls for a lot less cornstarch.

    I'd like to give this recipe a try sometime.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gloria,

    I really do use 21 tablespoons of cornstarch. It's a recipe that has been around forever and it's the only one I know how to make from scratch. I'm curious. Would you be willing to share your recipes? I'd love to give them a try.

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious ... that's a whole lotta corn for me, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candace
    Head over to http://sandrascookingcorner.blogspot.com
    and I will teach you how to make a great pie crust. Trust me on this.

    And when I do get around to making lemon pie from scratch, I think I may be using your mother's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, Candace! This sounds really yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pie looks delicious.
    I like the golden waves on it.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.