Convention of Statesmen

ads

Recipe: Sweet Cornbread

A long time favorite, both from my childhood and that of my family now, is sweet cornbread. There is just nothing like sliding cornbread fresh from the oven, slicing a piece open and slathering it with butter and honey. Oh my word, my mouth is just watering and you can guess that dinner tonight will center around cornbread. That's a given!

This recipe is tailor made for butter and honey, drizzled over a steaming hot piece of cornbread like syrup.

So I invite you to throw some chicken in the oven, toss a green salad, boil some ears of corn (bring water to a boil and throw corn in for only 3 minutes. Gets the corn hot but keeps it fresh, crisp and nutritious.) And top the whole thing off with some delicious cornbread.

Sweet Cornbread
Preheat oven to 400°
Lightly grease an 8" skillet.


In a large mixing bowl, beat together until creamy:

2/3 c. White Sugar
1 t. Salt
1/3 c. Butter (softened)
1 t. Vanilla

Stir in:

2 Eggs, one at a time

In a separate bowl, mix:

2 c. Flour
1 T. Baking Powder
¾ c. Cornmeal.

Stir into wet mixture alternating with:

1/3 C. Milk

be certain to alternate, dumping neither in all at once.
Beat until well blended.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Happy Eating!

Return to the Neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. Welcome to the yourLDSneighborhood newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletter brings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDS interviews from around the world—all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.
LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.
Recipe: Sweet Cornbread Recipe: Sweet Cornbread Reviewed by Unknown on Friday, September 12, 2008 Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I'll have to try that cornbread sometime. My kids can never get enough of it.

    PS I love Mormonblogger.com. Thanks so much for giving the LDS community a wonderful network!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pink Ink, thanks for dropping by! The cornbread is fantastic and a favorite in our house. My husband and nephew always get such big grins on their faces when they walk into the house and smell it cooking.

    As to Mormon Bloggers Speak Out, no problem. I wanted to do something and I'm pretty excited about it and how well it's being received.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.