Convention of Statesmen

ads

Making the Most of Personal Revelation

I'm going to try, every Sunday, to post something spiritual and uplifting. I've got to back to the roots of who I am. I am a Latter-day Saint. I am an American. I am a daughter of parents who sacrificed to give me what I have today. I am the wife of a man whom I adore. I, am a daughter of God.

And so I joined the Queen of Chaos' Sunday Brunch:

Personal revelation is one of the key differences between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormons, and other Christian churches. We believe we have the right to speak with and be spoken to by our Heavenly Father.

Brigham Young taught:

This people believe in revelation. This people did believe and do believe that the Lord has spoken from the heavens. They did believe and do believe that God has sent angels to proclaim the everlasting Gospel, according to the testimony of John [see Revelation 14:6–7] (DBY, 38).

We often hear it said that the living oracles must be in the Church, in order that the Kingdom of God may be established and prosper on the earth. I will give another version of this sentiment. I say that the living oracles of God, or the Spirit of revelation must be in each and every individual, to know the plan of salvation and keep in the path that leads them to the presence of God (DBY, 38).

The Lord is not everywhere in person; but he has his agents speaking and acting for him. His angels, his messengers, his apostles and servants are appointed and authorized to act in his name. And his servants are authorized to counsel and dictate in the greatest and what might be deemed the most trifling matters, to instruct, direct and guide his Saints (DBY, 41).

No man can gain influence in this Kingdom, and maintain himself in it, magnify his calling without the power of God being with him. Persons must so live that they can enjoy the light of the Holy Spirit, or they will have no confidence in themselves, in their religion, or in their God, and will sooner or later turn from the faith (DBY, 33).

It was asked me by a gentleman how I guided the people by revelation. I teach them to live so that the Spirit of revelation may make plain to them their duty day by day that they are able to guide themselves. To get this revelation it is necessary that the people live so that their spirits are as pure and clean as a piece of blank paper that lies on the desk before the [writer], ready to receive any mark the writer may make upon it (DBY, 41).

No earthly argument, no earthly reasoning can open the minds of intelligent beings and show them heavenly things; that can only be done by the Spirit of revelation [see 1 Corinthians 2:9–14] (DBY, 37).(“Chapter 6: The Communication between God and Man,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young, 41)

Indeed, we not only have the right to answers for our prayers, but we have the right to be inspired, guided and protected by our Father in Heaven.

Elder Richard G. Scott, a living apostle, spoke in length about getting the most out of any personal revelation that is received in a CES (Church Educational System) Symposium in 1998. Without going into any great length, and breaking it down to a simple statement, he said that if we were to write down any revelation we receive and then ask if there were more, more would come. His talk detailed this process in detail as well as offering the caution to be humble and teachable.

Taking this advice to heart, I have received the most precious and personal revelation, pertaining to my family and me, that I never would have imagined. You must understand, our Father in Heaven waits to hear from each of us. Much as you would call your mother or father now, to catch up and re-establish and strengthen that love and familial connection, our Heavenly Father wishes for you to do the same.

My sweet friends, remember who you are. For you are children of God, beloved of our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ. Who you are matters to Heavenly Father. Your happiness or sorrow matter to Jesus Christ. Your life, every minute of every day, is lovingly watched over, rejoiced over, grieved over and wept over as decisions are made and consequences are met, be they positive or negative.

You have a right to kneel, pour your heart out and if you are willing to be still and listen, hear, literally hear the words with your heart, our Father in Heaven wishes you to feel or hear.

The first place to start would be to shake off your preconceptions and prejudices, with a humble and loving heart, kneel and ask: Is Jesus Christ the Messiah? Did He redeem the world? Is He the Son of God? Are you my Heavenly Father? Do you love me? Do you believe in me? Will you help me?

I assure you, the answers will come. Maybe not immediately, maybe a day, week, month, year or decades later, but the answer will come and you will clearly remember your question when the answer comes. When you finish praying, and listening, write all your thoughts down and then place them in a quiet and safe place where you can turn back to them often.

Your Father in Heaven did not send you to mortality without the means to "call home." Prayer is that very sacred manner by which we may "call home." I urge you to do it and do it often. You may be completely surprised by the changes which will take place in your life.
Making the Most of Personal Revelation Making the Most of Personal Revelation Reviewed by Unknown on Sunday, September 21, 2008 Rating: 5

4 comments:

  1. So wonderful. It's AMAZING how much we, as mere humans, can receive power through prayer. As literal children of a Father in heaven, we are blessed with His power to combat against Satan if we but ask and seek!

    Thank you for sharing this, Candace. I really enjoyed reading it. Welcome to 'Sunday Brunch'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, these your things I needed to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Elder Lund's talk from April General Conference about opening our hearts to the Holy Ghost. It goes along well with this. Also, Elder Hales came to our stake conference today and talked about learning Heavenly Father's will for us and how to pray and receive answers to those prayers.
    A long time ago, when my testimony wasn't as strong as it is now, I had just read The Book of Mormon and was praying about its truthfulness. I was having a hard time understanding that if Heavenly Father loves us so much why He would allow the Nephites to be slaughtered. I had been praying and pondering about the sacrifices and obedience that is required to gain eternal life. I prayed and asked to remember the love that I had for Heavenly Father. Needless to say, my answer was overwhelming and sweet beyond words. How I long to do all that I can to always feel His love, and to remember how I love Him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candace,

    A couple of years back my bishop challenged me to write my own commentary on the Book of Mormon.

    He promised that if I did that every now and then the Lord would open my mind to receive revelation and that I would see things in a new way.

    The experience has been life altering. Whereas I always thought that I knew the scriptures pretty well in my head, He has slowly been writing them on my heart. Thanks for your great post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.