Convention of Statesmen

ads

Sports, sports and more sports

I live in a house with a husband, nephew and a "missionary son*." I'm surrounded by men, no question and it's a unique experience. You can probably guess where I'm headed with this. Two of the three men in my home love sports. Especially the Lakers. Me, I'm a Jazz fan. But unlike BYU football, I never miss a game, I've had to listen to these Lakers fans hoot and holler because their team is taking it all the way to the top. Which is completely besides the point, because I do actually have one.

I'm a wife. That's my calling. I'm a writer. That's my profession. I'm a homemaker . . . that's my curse. (I really hate to clean. Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!)

Has anyone ever noticed how many games are on television at any given time? Oh there's football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, hand ball (European version which is a cutthroat combination of soccer, basketball and lacrosse on steroids and in a rage), tennis, soccer, lacrosse, boxing, cycling, mixed martial arts, hockey, martial arts, golf, bowling, pool, strongest man, gladiators . . . oh my word, I could go on forever. The men in my home will. If there's a game on, any kind, my husband is glued to the television. He loves sports, all kinds of sports. It doesn't matter. Sete is not far behind, although, to his credit, he's out playing basketball or volleyball almost every night.

Sports are good. They're good for your health when you play them. They build your sense of accomplishment and self-esteem when you're good at them. They whittle you down physically until you're in the shape of your life. They pull friends and family together when cheering on a common team. All of this is good. But it is my contention that sports, 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, 365 days a year will make "blood shoot out of your eyes," to quote a rather loquacious national talk show host. Really, I swear . . . not to mention the incessant sound of sports of one kind or another will rot the brains of the viewer and anyone who happens to stuck within range.

So to all you armchair athletes out there. Break out a book. Weed the garden. Mow the lawn. Have a conversation with someone, anyone . . . but take a break from televised sports and start playing them! I promise you'll feel better and your wives will start looking at you with new eyes. Not a bad thing.


Join the Neighborhood Newsletter . . . Subscriptions are free and joining is easy. Just by signing up and maintaining your subscription to receive the yourLDSneighborhood.com newsletter, you become eligible for our "Thank You" prizes. Our dozens of giveaways range from a trip for two to China, to iPods® (each with a $50 gift certificate for LDS music), cruises, and more.

Learn about our amazing monthly, quarterly, and annual giveaways by clicking here.

Return to the Neighborhood.

* Young man who served his mission in our area whom we came to love as a son.
Sports, sports and more sports Sports, sports and more sports Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, June 05, 2008 Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. I am not a sports fan, and right now there's no men around to watch it. All my men live somewhere else and my remaining son would rather be outside on his skateboard or bike.

    But yeah, these guys that make fun of what women watch will sit for hours on end watching what to me looks like the same thing over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love BYU football, a lot. And I enjoy going to watch my nephews play basketball. But other than that, I can't abide game after game after game on the television. Makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.