Convention of Statesmen

ads

Review of Prince Caspian



My husband and I went to see Prince Caspian, the sequel to Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, with high hopes and every one of them were met. When C.S. Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia, so long ago, he could never have imagined that one day they would be brought to life through the medium of film, advanced technology and fantastically so.

Briefly, our four intrepid heroes have struggled to exist in war torn Europe and are finding it difficult to be mere children where they were once kings and queens of Narnia. But upon their return to that magical land, they find that Narnia has been conquered and the Narnians, what is left of them, have been driven into hiding from their invaders.

Prince Caspian is the rightful heir to the invaders' throne, but his uncle's wife gives birth to a son and immediately orders the death of his nephew. Caspian flees into the night and embarks on a journey that takes the viewer through courage, strength, belief, faith and sheer entertainment. The four siblings, and Prince Caspian, are called to service to once again save Narnia from extinction.

Many people are getting caught up in the symbolism of the books and trying to impose Lewis' symbolism of Christianity, the real purpose of the Chronicles of Narnia, into the movies. Really, there's nothing wrong with that except it's robbing them of the pure enjoyment of the movie.

Rated PG, it is a perfectly suitable movie for family members of all ages. Released three weeks ago it has grossed $115,674,000 to date and counting. I recommend this movie to any and all who enjoy a great story and some good action. I know I'll be buying the DVD the second it is released.

I also recommend you purchase the DVD of the first Narnia movie, mentioned above, as well as the box set of the Chronicles of Narnia books. You'll find it a delightful family venture to read those books together. C.S. Lewis, the master defender of the Christian faith, weaves a marvelous story through the 7 books which teach of love, sacrifice and courage. Qualities we never want to disappear in the human race.


Join the Neighborhood Newsletter . . . Subscriptions are free and joining is easy. Just by signing up and maintaining your subscription to receive the yourLDSneighborhood.com newsletter, you become eligible for our "Thank You" prizes. Our dozens of giveaways range from a trip for two to China, to iPods® (each with a $50 gift certificate for LDS music), cruises, and more.

Learn about our amazing monthly, quarterly, and annual giveaways by clicking here.

Return to the Neighborhood.
Review of Prince Caspian Review of Prince Caspian Reviewed by Unknown on Monday, June 02, 2008 Rating: 5

8 comments:

  1. Love the Chronicles of Narnia. They're my favorite books.

    I saw this movie too. I don't remember so much war in the book. I guess I have to read that book again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading them again myself. So we can both doublecheck on that fact. But I'm absolutely loved this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movies were done so well. They really bring the books to life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the entire series as a child and absolutely loved them. I was pretty happy with the first film, but I've heard mixed reviews about the second... it's worth the admission price?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without question it is worth the price of admission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so worth the price of the ticket we went and saw it again today. I really liked this movie. Caught a lot more of the symbolism this time. C.S. Lewis was truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this movie! I'm so happy speed racer was sold out and my husband and I ended up seeing this movie. It was really awesome. My fave is that the war tactics are so based off of Ancient Roman tactics. The bridge was a totally reminded my of Julius Caesar's Rhine crossing except he reportedly built it 10 days. That's less than two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candace,
    Thanks for the review. I was wondering if it was worth going to see! We'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.