Convention of Statesmen

ads

The Holy War - BYU vs University of Utah

Oh yeah, it's that time of year again. Alvin loves to listen to all the smack talk on the radio sports shows during this week. He loves it. Me, not so much. It always crosses over the line of good fun into simple mean-spirited vicious attacks. Especially on 960 AM, The Zone on Wednesday. They had a contest and they chose the most ignorant, vicious, cowardly son of a gun (yes, I edited) as the winner.

We met with Sete for dinner that night and I mentioned some things we'd heard with a scowl on my face. What did my sweet nephew say to me?

"Aunty, don't listen to that stuff!"

"Oh, it's all his fault." And I pointed at Alvin. Sete shook his head at him and we settled in to enjoy our time together.

But let's face it . . . the rivalry between BYU and University of Utah goes way, way back. It didn't really start to turn our way until LaVell Edwards became the coach and since then its gone back and forth over the years.

I've watched BYU football for over twenty years (yes, I know I'm a neophyte) and there's one thing I've noticed. It doesn't matter who the team is, they always play their best and their hardest against BYU. I'm not sure what it is about our boys that makes every team we meet play above and beyond their usual abilities, but it happens every time, especially in the Mountain West.

In reality, I don't know who's going to win today. But I'm going to say that BYU is going to win the game and the Mountain West Conference today, despite what that asinine tarot card reader said on the news last night.

Sidenote: When did legitimate news, even sports news (Channel 4), start going to tarot card readers to predict the future? I'll tell you. LAST NIGHT! Ugh, even though it was meant in good fun it gave me the total creeps!

Can I tell you how I love this time of year? I really love BYU football. Not other college teams playing football. Not NFL football . . . nope, I just enjoy BYU football. I know, it's an idiosyncrasy, but it's my idiosyncrasy. But you know, if my nephews go pro I'm going to have adjust my thinking.

So today I'm going to make some homemade chili, homemade bread, pop some popcorn and I'm going to settle in and watch the BYU Cougars annihilate the University of Utah Utes. It may come down to another moment like this:

Really, the sweetest play I can recall in quite awhile. John Beck to Johnny Harline to snatch victory from the Utes in the last 3 seconds of last year's Holy War. Oh yeah, very sweet!

But one way or another BYU is going to walk away with the victory today and the Utes can hang their heads in shame, along with all their fans, and trot on home.

So, shall we sing together?

Rise, all loyal Cougars and hurl your challenge to the foe.
We will fight, day or night, rain or snow.
Loyal, strong, and true
Wear the white and blue.
While we sing, get set to spring.
Come on, Cougars, it's up to you. Oh!

CHORUS:

Rise and shout, the Cougars are out
along the trail to fame and glory.
Rise and shout, our cheers will ring out
As you unfold your vict'ry story.
On you go to vanquish the foe
for Alma Mater's sons and daughters.
As we join in song in praise of you our faith is strong.
We'll raise our colors high in the blue
And cheer our Cougars of BYU.

Go Cougars! Go Cougars! Go Cougars!

The Holy War - BYU vs University of Utah The Holy War - BYU vs University of Utah Reviewed by Unknown on Saturday, November 24, 2007 Rating: 5

15 comments:

  1. The other teams play their hardest against BYU because they know that to have any hope at all of winning they have to play like they have never played before. Go COUGARS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, Marta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outright conference CHAMPS.. 17-10 over the Utes... could life be any sweeter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I loved singing the fight song with the words you posted. Good memories and yeah. . . I love this time of year too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great win over your rivals. Congrats! My son stormed the field after the game. He said the final minutes were very intense. Game was not televised here in WY, so had to listen to updates on a sports radio station and texting my son who was in the student section. MWC Champs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a delight, Candace. I hope BYU kicks their butts! :) Go Cougars. You cracked me up how you posted their song, too!

    That is so bogus that the "news" showed tarot cards. That is about as much news as plastering OJ and Britney all over it. I hate it how some "news" channels have become more like the tabloid magazines. Alas I digress.

    Happy Sabbath, too. kathleen :)

    Go Cougars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did Channel 4 use Tarot Cards in the big shake up with Terry Wood?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a part of Utah life I just haven't gotten into yet. Last night at the mail box one of my neighbor girls came up to me and said "Did you watch the game!?" and I said "Uhh??? Oh you mean the BYU/Utah game?" And then I paused and said "You did mean football, right?" She just looked at me like I was crazy. I was seriously afraid she meant basketball or something.

    I need to get some Utah education. Apparently you need it in order to have a conversation around this place. Everything is RED or BLUE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BYU won! Yeah! Thanks for dropping by everyone. The game yesterday was so sweet to watch. I saw them all my nephews excel and play extremely well. I was so proud of Harvey for making that last touchdown and then BYU defense for holding the Utes back! Wahoo!

    And yes, it was Channel 4 who used the idiot fortune teller. Made me sick.

    Go cougars! Blue! Blue! Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lets all ban channel 4. They get rid of good talent and use Satanic influences. Unlike KSL or KUTV who has real talent, except som e of their talent is retiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've noticed since moving here that certain news stations are biased in favor of the U.

    I enjoyed watching the game, and was thrilled that the cougs won of course. I did think our boys took a few cheap shots I feel they should step up the sportsmanship a notch. Because of the press reaction to BYU in general, I think any slip is really vilified-we don't need to give them anything to justify that with.

    During the BYU/NC basketball game, the commentators kept coming back to the maturity & high moral values of the players, which is awesome. Our football team needs to step it up so they can reflect the same attitudes, even while they enjoy crushing our arch-rivals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen - I didn't notice any cheap shots. Football is football and in a contact sport like that emotions definitely run high. I couldn't be prouder of the football team.

    And yes, certain stations do lean to certain teams. KSL is BYU, KUTV (I think) is U of U, the radio stations are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reginald -- it was a silly thing for them to do, and I'm sure they did it good fun, but I was not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ali - everything is Blue. Really!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blogspot and visiting with me. I love reading your thoughts on my posts. Please be sure and comment before you leave.